What is 5-5x5+5?

Associate
I have maths A level and genuinely, the first time I ever heard of this bodmas thing was on these forums.

I don't what to tell you, except that your education must have either been seriously lacking, or such a long time ago that you've forgotton! FWIW, I have a degree in maths, not that I need it for this level TBF!

Soldato
I have maths A level and genuinely, the first time I ever heard of this bodmas thing was on these forums.

How on earth do you get as far as A level maths without knowing that order of operations exists? It's something you're taught at KS3 (if not earlier?) these days.

Commissario
How on earth do you get as far as A level maths without knowing that order of operations exists? It's something you're taught at KS3 (if not earlier?) these days.
Brackets. Everything was bracketed which is surely a lot more straightforward than this. Work out the bracketed values and then do the rest because it removes all the ambiguities.

In UK (maths not math) it would probably have brackets around part of it and we were taught to do that part first in school during the 70-80's.
As per this.

Soldato
Brackets. Everything was bracketed which is surely a lot more straightforward than this. Work out the bracketed values and then do the rest because it removes all the ambiguities.

Evidently this was a counter-productive way to teach people then, as order of operations isn't some new fangled thing. Sounds like you were taught to bracket everything because they couldn't be bothered to teach you the proper rules.

Associate
As per this.

In fairness, this entire question and many other varients like it, is mostly about trolling people like yourself! As you say, brackets make it far more obvious. I would say that there isn't any ambiguity - there isn't, there's one right answer and any other answer is definitively wrong, but if you actually want to communicate effectively to a large audience, then there is a certain responsibility on the person setting the question to make it obvious. This question is solely designed to trip people up, and going by this thread, it seems to have worked!

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Partial equations with custom precedence bootstrapping - is the nets new form of trivia?

We could give them a run for their money with obscure logic formulas.

Caporegime
I was never taught bodmas, it was all about brackets.

So I look at it this way.

5-5x5+5

I start with five peas.

I take away five peas, that gives me no peas.

I multiply those no peas by five, I still have no peas.

Then I add five peas.

I end up with five peas.

Now can someone explain to me in simple terms how the answer can be anything different?

Because operations have different precedence, this has been true whether you learned some acronym like "BODMAS" at school or not.

Multiplication and division have higher precedence over addition and subtraction. These operators are right-associative too meaning you work from left to right...

So...

you have 5 * 5 which gives you 25 (multiplication ahead of addition and subtraction)

5 - 25 gives you -20 (working left to right)

and adding 5 gives you 15

Back
Top Bottom