Any way to get Apple TV app on Nvidia shield?

Soldato
To me Apple are really shooting themselves in the foot, being so restricted with their TV App. I'm watching Ted Lasso at the moment and there's another (For All Mankind?) that I would checkout, but they make it almost impossible for me to watch and I'm mainly an Android user. Even the Apple products I have (MacBook and work iPad) can only show me the content on the hardware itself, no ability to cast to a Chromecast :(

Man of Honour
It's a bit annoying really that their content isn't available on other hardware. They have loads of 4k movies that haven't been released on UHD Blu-ray. But I'm not prepared to buy an Apple TV box when I've already got two Nvidia Shield TV boxes in the house.

Associate
OP
I'm exactly the same with 2x NS boxes

It's common knowledge that the NS is the king of stream boxes and I believe they purposely leave it off there app store on purpose

Soldato
Google Chromecast doesn't have any apps, you cast apps to it. Maybe you mean the Chromecast that has Google TV on it? It is odd though, if they can put it on Google TV, why not on my TV running Android, or as said, the Nvidia Shield...

Soldato
It's a bit annoying really that their content isn't available on other hardware. They have loads of 4k movies that haven't been released on UHD Blu-ray. But I'm not prepared to buy an Apple TV box when I've already got two Nvidia Shield TV boxes in the house.
You could just buy a cheap amazon firestick as that has the AppleTV app

Soldato
We've got it on our Sony android TV, 4k fire stick and roku stick. The app is rubbish on all of them :p Seriously you'd think apple would at least make sure it works when they are being so picky about platforms but each one has problems, either getting stuck when you click on the skip intro button, not recording episodes watched properly or simply not playing and sitting on a black screen.

There is also hardly any content but tbf the video quality is very good. Wont be subscribing when the free year ends though.

I couldn't find any way of getting it to work on the shield.

Soldato
Tbf, the app on my work iPad is pretty poor. I open the app, resume watching show. I get to the end of the show and press X or back or whatever... then it's still showing as the episode half way through. It's a bit of a mission to find how to now just watch the next episode!

Soldato
Ps4 has apple TV

Ahh, I often forget I have that and that it can do media stuff :) Will take a look later, thanks.

What model TV is yours ?

The app didn't show up on my TV till i added a payment option to my google account..

I believe it's "Sony Bravia KD43XE8005 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, 43"

I have a payment method on my Google account though, I've bought plenty on it on my phone.

Associate
I'm exactly the same with 2x NS boxes

It's common knowledge that the NS is the king of stream boxes and I believe they purposely leave it off there app store on purpose

Common knowledge? In your opinion you mean...

The Shield is certainly a better device if your into ripping your own content and watching it via Kodi but the Apple TV is a much better device when it comes to 4K content and polished apps compared to their Android/Google TV counterparts. The fact that Android/Google TV doesn’t have All 4 or Now TV (except for Sony TV’s) available makes the Shield a non event.

Google have stated that the Apple TV app will be coming to more Android TV devices in the future but it’s natural that they prioritised the new Chromecast over everything else.

Soldato
The Shield is certainly a better device if your into ripping your own content

yes I think the increased # of streaming companies disney/hbo/apple must cause a proliferation of pirated/own content;
if you don't need media outside of the home (who does) then, tv's, tablets, in house, are good with most codecs so transcoding(shields forte) is less solicited.

Has someone yet completed analysis of the bitrate you get via the Apple tv apps - versus ATV;
the new Sony (genuinely) high bitrate 4k/hdr movie service looks interesting ... it's that app&subscription I be interested to try, if you have fibre,&75"+ tv.

Associate
yes I think the increased # of streaming companies disney/hbo/apple must cause a proliferation of pirated/own content;
if you don't need media outside of the home (who does) then, tv's, tablets, in house, are good with most codecs so transcoding(shields forte) is less solicited.

Has someone yet completed analysis of the bitrate you get via the Apple tv apps - versus ATV;
the new Sony (genuinely) high bitrate 4k/hdr movie service looks interesting ... it's that app&subscription I be interested to try, if you have fibre,&75"+ tv.

By all accounts the ATV app on the Apple TV compared to the ATV+ app has a superior bit rate (24/25 vs 17/18 on the app on other devices).

Back
Top Bottom