• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Soldato
We will be back to this soon, where mining cards are hacked to work as gaming cards, but who knows if Nvidia made sure this time they can't be used at all.

So miners will avoid them anyways and still buy the previous gaming cards and use hacked drivers or bios to bypass the crippling, the only way I see them willing to buy mining cards is if they can be used later for something else which they won't be so will end up as E-waste or parts to repair other gpus with that are not mining cards. So I don't see people buying the mining cards as the whole point is to sell them on after the bubble pops. Just Nvidia hoping farms may buy them and not your average miner that wants to sell the cards on later.

Anyone remember this :-

Soldato
It's more than just a new RTX 3060 driver, and involves both the silicon and GPU BIOS (applies to Linux too), according to these Tweets:

Anand-Tech-tweets.jpg

This suggests to me that this could be a 'feature' on all future releases of Nvidia RTX graphics cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing but lip-service from Nvidia, don't be fooled.

These guys are *proper* scumbags, brilliant but still scum. Only thing they care about is $$$!

If they were proper scumbags, why would they bother with lip-service even? They would have no reason to if the only they thing they care about is money and the products they are making are all getting sold out pretty easily? Not like everyone will run to their competitor if they don't at least pretend.

Associate
There's already some miners claiming it's illegal to restrict mining on gaming graphics cards, here we go again I guess:

73c.jpg

Would be illegal to restrict it on an existing card and they would be facing a class action lawsuit but on a card that hasn't been released yet they can do whatever the hell they want!!

Soldato

nvidia playing gamers for fools.

It's quite a one sided argument from MLID. I think it's quite a moderate change so far, but he's talking like they've already nerfed the hash rate of the whole Ampere series.

This is all based on the completely flawed assumption that many gamers will buy an expensive GPU, and take the risk of trying to earn back the price paid through GPU mining.

There's no evidence to support this claim. There's no 'us', gamers and GPU miners are mostly different groups. It's an attempt to muddy the waters.

Also, assuming that the claim that large companies will pay large amounts to circumvent the Mining nerf is true (and they are successful), how does this harm non mining gamers?

Also, the CMP series won't harm gamers who want to buy an Ampere graphics card, in fact, the aim is to lower prices by lowering demand from GPU miners. The hash rates of the CMP series seem similar to equivalent ampere GPUs. I think they may be significantly cheaper to buy too.

MLID also claims the CMP series are potentially chips that could be use in Ampere cards. Why would Nvidia opt to make less profit, when Ampere graphics card prices are so high? Nvidia says these chips aren't fit to be used in Ampere GPUs, we know the production failure rates of GPU dies can be quite high on Samsung 8nm, so I've no reason to doubt this so far.

I think if the profit margin relies on the resale of (often worn out) graphics cards, then this is an unreliable source of income / not worth it anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Tbh I keep having people asking me how to mine on a daily basis on the discord channel I hang around.

Most of them just have got a 30x0 card and want to earn some money back from the markup.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Understandable to a certain degree and then greed takes over and as has been reported the consumption and use of electricity causes major issues in the short and long term.

What if you're with a 100% renewable energy supplier?

Associate
Where mining is quite profitable at the moment even just a normal gamer can take advantage and earn their investment back mining in the down time.

the fact nVidia is limiting this needs to be reflected in both prices with adjustments to correct.

mining cards priced with the risk of loss of profitability before investment repaid and not being able to sell to recoup investment, RTX cards priced to reflect the lack of an earning potential.

they should have just limited the sale of cards to 2 per address until stock flows freely, then open it up.

Associate
Well gents, it looks like crypto currency is taking yet another plunge. Not that I wish anyone financial harm, but for the sake of this situation alone, I hope the damn things crashes into oblivion and we can have our GPU market back.

Back
Top Bottom