Actors I am amazed that get jobs...

fez

fez

Caporegime
Being a famous actor is usually some combination of nepotism and attractiveness. Being a famous and successful actor has little to do with acting ability.

A hell of a lot of actors seem to get picked for a role they suit well and then either get recast as that role for the rest of their careers or very quickly get found out for being one note and essentially playing themselves. Sophie Turner is a prime example of that.

Soldato
Cory Chase. I just don't buy that she's got that many kids/step-kids.

Seriously though, Martin Freeman just bothers me. He was good in his early roles until I realised he was just MF in every single role. By the end of 'The Hobbit' (part 1, nevermind the sequels) I loathed him. Despite being right up my proverbial street, I can't watch 'Cargo' purely because he's the main actor.

Man of Honour
Matt Damon

Okay, maybe he’s no Pacino or de Niro, but he does a reasonable job in my opinion, plus I exchanged a few friendly words with him in a Cape Town restaurant, when his toddler daughter kept hiding under the table where my wife and I were sitting.
Then when he was filming in the office block in Paddington where my wife worked, he paused to let her friend take a photo of him with his arm around my wife.
So I’ll give him a pass.

Man of Honour
Jack Black springs to mind. Oh & Russell Brand while i'm here. :p

Jack’s a bit of a one trick pony, but I thought that he was good in “Shallow Hal”, and “School of Rock”, the other cretin that you mention is about as talented as a carrot, and as funny as a positive Covid test result.

Soldato
Keanu Reeves

Directors love Reeves though as he's like a blank slate which they can use to project their vision of the film. You can't do that with actors that have an actual presence. IIRC Val Kilmer was original up for role of Neo in Matrix.

On my list would be Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Juliet Lewis, Ryan Gosling, All of the Balwins, Will Ferrell, Sandra Bullock.

All are poor compared to actors like Kevin Spacey, Ed Norton, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Di Caprio (ugh), Amy Adams, even John Cusack when he tries, and Jennifer Lawrence (who has surprised me).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The one I don’t understand that keeps getting roles are the likes of Gerard Butler. Sure he was good in the 300 but since then every single movie he has been in has been atrocious. Maybe it’s the fact that his “American” accent is so hilariously pathetic. Seriously just stop with that nonsense lol.

It is almost like he is a curse - almost any movie he has been in lately has turned out atrocious irrespective of how good or not his acting was in it. Some of the movies which were always going to turn out as "straight to DVD" type fare he actually does OK, even sometimes good in, but can't possibly save them. While most of the "big" titles he is just straight terrible like he isn't even trying and just there for the money. (Greenland for instance he is the least of the issues with that movie).

Soldato
Thread would make more sense if you blamed names for the rubbish casting.

It's not stealing a paycheck if you're being given the role and your performance is of your usual standard.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Why would it... Some actors are just **** no matter the roll/casting and a lot of them are on this list.

Its going through the motions for a pay check.

Soldato
Why would it... Some actors are just **** no matter the roll/casting and a lot of them are on this list.

Its going through the motions for a pay check.

Its not really though is it. You can be rubbish at something but still try and give it your best shot. Going though the motions would imply not putting in the effort and cruising through to get your pay cheque

Back
Top Bottom