Deep Fakes

Soldato
It feels like yesterday that I saw my first deepfake and thought it looked terrible and obviously fake. Now you have to look pretty closely to spot that it's fake. It feels like it won't be long before deepfakes are indistinguishable from real video. At that point, it'll be an arms race between improving deepfake algorithms and improving deepfake detection algorithms.

Caporegime
I'm just wondering what implications this could have for CCTV and cases taken to court based on video evidence.

If I can make it look like tom cruise petrol bombed someone's car like how would that stand up in court?

Soldato
I'm just wondering what implications this could have for CCTV and cases taken to court based on video evidence.

If I can make it look like tom cruise petrol bombed someone's car like how would that stand up in court?
Court, ok. They would have experts vouch for authenticity.

Morons on Parler/whatever the new incarnate is? Very bad. Disinformation is bad enough as it is.

Soldato

You'd have to make certain that Tom Cruise isn't on the other side of the planet in front of numerous cameras and with a myriad witnesses at the time.

Caporegime
Court, ok. They would have experts vouch for authenticity.

Morons on Parler/whatever the new incarnate is? Very bad. Disinformation is bad enough as it is.

And then I would have experts on my side vouch for authenticity also. If I was going to the trouble of making a fake video for court I'd also be making it look perfect as possible and have experts on hand to prove its the real deal.

Soldato
And then I would have experts on my side vouch for authenticity also. If I was going to the trouble of making a fake video for court I'd also be making it look perfect as possible and have experts on hand to prove its the real deal.
What do you think about general masses and these videos?

Caporegime
What do you think about general masses and these videos?

Couldn't care any less.

I don't do social media because it's for morons and that's where these videos will be uploaded. There's already fake news being spread on these platforms so fake videos was always going to be where progression led to.

I was thinking of getting an oculus quest but it requires Facebook. The only social media I do have is Twitter and that's to follow specific developers and updates on certain projects. I don't follow celebs like Kanye or the Kardashians for instance.

I'll leave the brain rot of staring at a mobile phone all day to the sheep.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Deep fakes depend largely on preexisting value capture (or value theft by predation a lot of the time) of name, identity, likeness and 'character'.

So their potential for harm is beatable by out-of-channel defenses: law changes to protect name, identity and likeness - by a more-universal rights creation - as has occurred in California (or elsewhere), plus some pre-emptive declarations, vigilant legal surveillance etc, imo.

Soldato
Forgive what is probably my stupidity but what has this to do with machine learning? Is the dude in the vid not just a lookalike?

Deepfake is a way to feed several hundred (or more) pictures of a face to a machine learning algorithm. The algorithm then turns those into thousands of images of the face. That can then be put over someone else's face. The trick is that the subject's face is auto-corrected to the target's face. This can be very lifelike, as it can correct to full face expressions with a lot of life-like animation.

Fully digital creations never look quite right because the face is animated, and it's difficult to get the full complexity of expression around the eyes, mouth, forehead, etc. Deepfake uses an actor's face to do the facial expressions, and then does a very good job of correcting to the target face, including accurate expressions.

It's all the more impressive when you realise that Deepfake was developed only a couple of years back, and can be used on even moderately powerful desktop hardware.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Presuming this is sarcasm?

You cannot stop the march of tech progress, either good or bad.

You can regulate it, though. For example, tech progress has made it easier to manufacture firearms but it's still illegal to do so.

Speculating a little, how about a scenario in which genetic engineering has become practical at a cost within most people's reach? So most people could set up a genetic engineering facility in their home and create bioweapons at a level at least on a par with a cold war era military bioweapons lab and probably more effectively due to the advances in technology since they. Should that be legal because "You cannot stop the march of tech progress, either good or bad"?

Caporegime
Could genuinely turn video evidence into garbage.

At risk of sounding old. Generally technology is progressing to quite concerning levels now.

Especially anything around AI.

Either the future is going to be amazing with things like UBI etc. Or,more likely,as people like to exploit, someone like Elon musk will end up controlling our lives

Soldato
Could genuinely turn video evidence into garbage.

At risk of sounding old. Generally technology is progressing to quite concerning levels now.

Especially anything around AI.

Either the future is going to be amazing with things like UBI etc. Or,more likely,as people like to exploit, someone like Elon musk will end up controlling our lives

We'll be living in a Phillip K. Dick novel before we know it.

Back
Top Bottom