Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [26th Feb - 4th March 2021]

Don
Going forward that's as good as we've looked in a long time but how shakey we look defending long straight balls is a concern. Gutted Firmino had his goal taken off him, he's crying out for one to just go in off his arse but his assist for Jones' goal was something else - not many players are keeping Trent's cross in play like he did.

edit: scrap that bit about the assist - it came off the Sheffield Utd player :o

Last edited:
Don
Maguire's got compromising pictures of every ref across Europe. He can punch the ball into the net, punch the ball away from his own penalty area, kick players in the *******s and brutally attack Greek police and get away with it.

Sounds like Shaw could be in trouble for his comments though. Utd have had to tell the press that Shaw misheard what the ref told Maguire - it will be interesting whether the FA accept that because questioning officials integrity is a big no no.

Soldato
Lol @ solksjaer complaining they don’t get soft pens because people have complained about the amount of soft pens they get.

what a soft ****

Don
Yet somehow officials fixing games/being incompetent isn't a big no no. Everything that is wrong about our league.
Jeez! Officials being incompetent is one thing and stating that they've made a mistake is fine, providing you're not rude or abusive but to say they're fixing games is plain ridiculous. As I saw Dale Johnson tweet earlier today, the ref that didn't give Utd the penalty today is the same ref from the reverse game that didn't award Chelsea a penalty when Maguire's put a Chelsea player in a wrestling move.

The ref made a mistake in not awarding the penalty but then again he also made a mistake in giving Utd the free-kick directly before that. It should have been a free-kick to Chelsea and a yellow for Mctominay.

**** happens and yea, the standard of officials seems to be getting worse but the biggest reason for this is the numbers of people taking up refereeing declining and they're declining because of all the abuse they're getting.

Soldato
The ref issue needs addressing. They’re bad. They cover their own arses, they cover each other’s arses. Their boss is a one of the worst refs we’ve ever seen.

Caporegime
And they're getting abuse because they're making 'mistakes' despite getting the benefit of being able to watch replays and have zero accountability for their actions. Atwell should be receiving disciplinary action if he doesn't understand what a handball is while looking a replay of it on a monitor. As I said, it's either intentional or he is not competent enough to be a referee. This isn't one of those 'grey areas', nobody without an agenda can seriously claim that wasn't a handball. VAR is just exposing that even with the benefit of replays these refs are still either intentionally or unintentionally costing teams games.

Don
And they're getting abuse because they're making 'mistakes' despite getting the benefit of being able to watch replays and have zero accountability for their actions. Atwell should be receiving disciplinary action if he doesn't understand what a handball is while looking a replay of it on a monitor. As I said, it's either intentional or he is not competent enough to be a referee. This isn't one of those 'grey areas', nobody without an agenda can seriously claim that wasn't a handball. VAR is just exposing that even with the benefit of replays these refs are still either intentionally or unintentionally costing teams games.
Officials making mistakes does not justify abusing them and it's this attitude that leads to the vicious cycle we're in. Until you have more people wanting to become officials then the standard will continue to drop and until the abuse stops you will not have more people wanting to become officials.

And while I agree that this should have been a penalty, it's not as straight forward as you make it out to be. The handball law and when VAR will or won't overturn a decision is a mess and nobody knows what will or won't be given anymore. The press were briefed that despite the tweak to the law a couple of months into the season, any hand above the shoulder will still be given as a foul however on at least 3 occasions since (Maguire vs Burnley, the Newcastle player yesterday and today's incident) that hasn't happened. Was what was briefed entirely accurate or does natural body positions of moving players still come into it, even if their hand is above their shoulder? I'm not sure but we have to remember that VAR is only supposed to be used if it's clearly the wrong call. We've seen huge variations in regards to what is and isn't a clear error since VAR has been introduced - one week a marginal decision has been overturned and the next week something most would say was clearly wrong hasn't been. It's luck of the draw but the way the handball law is and how VAR is being implemented should take most of the blame for that, not the official.

Don
Oh, but they are ****s
They are and as I've said many times before, they use VAR & "clear and obvious" to justify every decision being correct. One week they'll argue a foul is a foul and it was the correct call to overturn a decision and the next they'll claim the same incident wasn't clearly wrong enough to overturn it. But this is a direct consequence of the abuse. In the same way people feel it's acceptable to say the most horrific things to others on twitter, football supporters are guilty of saying ridiculous **** about officials and this is why they're so defensive.

I can't remember if it was him or another official but I think it was Howard Webb that was asked about officials giving interviews after the game and while some were happy to, others weren't because they were worried about the abuse they would end up getting. Some idiot interviewer for Sky or BT would be so desperate for a big story that they'd look to trip them up and or turn the interview into a witch-hunt.

We all have to grow up. Officials are human and just like players that miss open goals or easy passes, officials will make mistakes too but like it or not, these are the best officials we currently have and until our attitude changes then we won't see things improve.

Soldato
Yeah. I agree somewhat. They need to do something about though rather than expecting the general public to change. The status quo is inadequate.

Don
Yeah. I agree somewhat. They need to do something about though rather than expecting the general public to change. The status quo is inadequate.
What can they do to change things? They're not making mistakes on purpose, they're just not very good. The only way that the standard of officials will improve is if we have more people wanting to be officials and that won't happen when Sunday League officials are getting beaten up and PL officials and their families are getting death threats for making a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom