hacked XBOX live forgotten pass!

Associate
Long story. I haven't used my xbox for 3 years. Noticed that I have been billed 17.99 a quarter since.
Tried to cancel account. doesnt recognised it, and old Virgin media email account I cannot remember.
Fired up old xbox, my account has a new user name, not mine cant get in.
Seems my old account has been hacked, and I am paying for it.
Cancelled on credit card, they want proof from XBOX i haven had service.
XBOX recovery fails every time says my details I give are not accepted, even though it includes the credit card details.
Tried multiple times.
No where on the website allows me to talk to anyone in person, and all automated systems say sorry try again.
I suspect its the new user and their own password that is failing it.
Oh and my old Virgin media email is not recognised anymore as an ntlworld one!
perfect storm

Any ideas? any one has a number to ring, or what to do?
I might even have to cancel the credit card - then at least I wont be paying...last resort as I have other things on their.

Any help appreciated. havent posted for years, but keep browsing these great forums.

A

Soldato
Long story. I haven't used my xbox for 3 years. Noticed that I have been billed 17.99 a quarter since.
Tried to cancel account. doesnt recognised it, and old Virgin media email account I cannot remember.
Fired up old xbox, my account has a new user name, not mine cant get in.
Seems my old account has been hacked, and I am paying for it.
Cancelled on credit card, they want proof from XBOX i haven had service.
XBOX recovery fails every time says my details I give are not accepted, even though it includes the credit card details.
Tried multiple times.
No where on the website allows me to talk to anyone in person, and all automated systems say sorry try again.
I suspect its the new user and their own password that is failing it.
Oh and my old Virgin media email is not recognised anymore as an ntlworld one!
perfect storm

Any ideas? any one has a number to ring, or what to do?
I might even have to cancel the credit card - then at least I wont be paying...last resort as I have other things on their.

Any help appreciated. havent posted for years, but keep browsing these great forums.

A
I'd cancel the card anyway, as I'm not sure what is shown to people. Although are you saying you've been billed for 3 years and only just noticed?

Soldato
Try this link:
Secure your account if you think you’ve been hacked | Xbox Support
You'll probably have to try tomorrow during the day for the phone option (appears to be unavailable right now) but the chat function should be available.

It's bad that you haven't noticed you've been billed for Live for so long but get straight back onto your bank and report the card being used as lost/stolen so that they should freeze any transactions from today.

Soldato
I've had card numbers remain the same on expiring, just the 3 digit security code on the rear and valid from/expiry dates changed. Also, some companies don't bother with the 3 digit check so as long as the main card number stays the same, the continuous card payments just carry on.

I had a VISA card on a family members Amazon account once so that they could order me something under their then Prime account. A year or so later, after my then VISA card had expired, Amazon charged me for the Prime membership renewal as it was the card was first on the list of payments on the account even though it was never used for anything other transactions under the account.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks all, a little more, its been going on longer - been trying for the last year to cancel.My evidence i presented was from microsoft who states "we have verified we can no longer access your account and therefore, we will not have the option to verify it and stop the charge so you may discuss with your bank for possible charge disputes ok?".

The CC people cancelled one of them before it came out, and I thought that was the end, but now noticed they cancelled the 'one' and the auto payment still went through.

ahem?

Yes I had not been checking the statements as I should have, as then the amount was high and so almost lost in the detail, but I paid my entire card off over a period and so now notice these amounts, keeping it under £100 always. Learned my debt lesson.

But yes defo lesson learned on checking statements, I am not bothered in getting back the money, thats my fault and down to me, but dont care for this paradox thrown at me through cant cancel as your details are wrong, we can cancel because we don't have the details lol..all due to forgetting password through inactivity, NTL email not existing anymore and a user that somehow cannot be traced I think. Nothing else has gone off card. The card has changed twice, and it still takes the money through msbill. I think it was a free xbox live account that had an auto renew to paid once I was out of the free period.

It really has tainted me for microsoft and actually war of any subscription transactions after a 'free' period.

A

Soldato
Go back to your bank, not Microsoft, and get them to cancel your card completely. You need a new card number to stop the continuous card payment with Microsoft. If you speak with the team that deal with lost/stolen cards (number is normally on the back of most cards) then they should get the payments stopped.

As for your Microsoft account, surely you remember your gamer tag, so you should be able to recover it with the old details you would have had registered back at the beginning. Even if you don't wish to use the account again, I would still want to stop it from happening, more so if you used any details on that account elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom