Planning permission expiring soon

Soldato
I have planning permission for a kitchen extension on my house that is due to expire on 1st May.

I had not been able to start it due to work issues and Covid but am finally at a point where I can start developing.

The thing is I don't think I have enough time to get party wall notice and builders quotes in time. I also heard that builders are in demand at the moment so it seems unlikely they would be available. It's not something I want to rush anyway.

So my main priority is to not let the planning permission expire.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this?

I would be interested to know what the bare minimum is that I can do to "commence" the development? There is an old garage at the back that needs removing first so I was thinking of knocking that down.

Tea Drinker
Don
Do you have any pre commencement conditions? If so have they been discharged? If not if the garage is part of the permission and you’re not just knocking it down to say gain access or renew anyway then the demolition of the garage could constitute commencement.

It is awfully complicated and you should take proper advice first.

Maybe speak to the planning department tomorrow?

This article is old but gives you a flavour

https://wslaw.co.uk/insight/commencement-development-practical-tips-pitfalls/

Soldato
OP
Do you have any pre commencement conditions? If so have they been discharged? If not if the garage is part of the permission and you’re not just knocking it down to say gain access or renew anyway then the demolition of the garage could constitute commencement.

It is awfully complicated and you should take proper advice first.

Maybe speak to the planning department tomorrow?

This article is old but gives you a flavour

https://wslaw.co.uk/insight/commencement-development-practical-tips-pitfalls/

Thanks - speaking to the planning department would be worthwhile. My architect dealt with them previously but will give them a call, and then get something in writing after that.

The best case scenario I am hoping for is that I can do the demolition of the garage as that would be the easiest thing to do within two months.

The potential spanner in the works is that I saw a plot diagram of my house and it didn't have the garage on it, so it might not exist from the council's perspective.

I had a look at the approval and there are some conditions but doesn't look like anything needs discharged, I could be wrong though.

Planning permission granted for development in accordance with the information contained in the application subject to the following conditions:
  1. The development to which this permission relates shall begin not later than the expiration of three years beginning with the date of this decision.

Reason: As required by Section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as amended by Section 51 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004.
  2. The development to which this permission relates shall be carried out in accordance with the approved plan(s) referenced:
  3. The materials to be used in the construction of the external surfaces of the extension shall match those used in the existing building.

Reason: In the interests of visual amenity, in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework and saved Policy H2 of the Unitary Development Plan and Policy CS15 of the Core Strategy and Urban Core Plan.

Soldato
Thanks - speaking to the planning department would be worthwhile. My architect dealt with them previously but will give them a call, and then get something in writing after that.

The best case scenario I am hoping for is that I can do the demolition of the garage as that would be the easiest thing to do within two months.

I had a look at the approval and there are some conditions but doesn't look like anything needs discharged, I could be wrong though.
Hi, a material commencement is often up to foundation level for the new extension, but any groundworks ie. Drainage can often be accepted by the planning officer. Yes, drop the garage asap, get photos and tell planning work is underway.

Soldato
OP
Hi, a material commencement is often up to foundation level for the new extension, but any groundworks ie. Drainage can often be accepted by the planning officer. Yes, drop the garage asap, get photos and tell planning work is underway.

Cheers, I have a guy sorting out the party wall notice now so once that is done I can remove the old garage. Drainage would probably be my next step after that. If I keep doing this piecemeal I might become de facto project manager (!)

Soldato
Might be worth speaking with your architect. We've managed to get a few projects extended because of the covid thing!

You'd hope that the planners would be pragmatic and understand that not much work could be carried out during a lockdown. I know up here the council departments have been working from home throughout with planners and building standards officers not visiting building sites if not necessary. They'll still do certain inspections but most interim ones are carried out over teams / WhatsApp videos.

Back
Top Bottom