• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Died - What now?

Associate
Hello all - Looking for some guidance, not sure what option to go for. My graphics card has just died and i have been searching for a decent replacement. I really like the idea of the 3000 series but with them being out of stock everywhere, i'm not sure i can wait until April or later for that to change. In light of that, i had my eye going for a second hand 1660 but at the moment they are going for almost the same price as a new 3060 and i just don't feel it's worth that. So - advice, what would you do? Thanks in advanced :)

Soldato
I'd personally by some cheap, non gaming graphics card just to be able to use my PC and then sit out this current pricing/stock insanity until prices return to some level of normality.

That's just me though. I could live without gaming for a couple of months as I'd refuse to pay over the odds for an item of hardware.

Soldato
The most cost effective option is to buy a potato non-gaming GPU for ~£30 and wait for some sanity to return to the market. Prices are crazy for second hand stuff just now and new cards are basically impossible to buy.

If you're unable to go a few months without a mid-high end GPU (eg. you need it for work or are invested in a specific game) then the only option is to get mugged on ebay and pay RTX 3060 money for something 2-3 years old with half the perfromance.

Soldato
What CPU and motherboard do you have now?

If AMD you could swap out your CPU for an APU, should be cheaper than even a low end GPU right now.

G J

G J

Associate
Oh I feel sorry for the OP good luck trying to get anything without paying way over the odds.

It's been over a month for me and I've been looking at the potato GPU's they've all pretty much doubled in price. :(

Soldato
What card died?

You could pick up something like a GTX 660 / 670 2GB for £30-£50 or similar performance card. Look for 2-4 GB card these are less affected by the current price rises.

Then replace it when the market normalises. You'd get back most of what you spent on the temp card less shipping/selling costs.

Associate
im in the same boat after my GC died just after newyear, currently borrowing a 2gb 6450, signed up for stock alerts but not going to pay silly money, may get a 2nd hand 1050ti for about £100 if i cant borrow a better one untill things get better

Associate
I would get a cheap second hand GPU and enjoy some of the (great) games from the past, or some low-requirement ones. I recently played Ion Fury and it was great fun. I also like the traditional Doom a lot and almost everything is good enough for GZDoom. Then you could try Fallout New Vegas, the original Bioshocks... just to mention a few examples. There are so many awesome and deadly cheap games around that will run in almost everything.

Soldato
An alternative, spend £300 on a Quest 2 and have more fun than a cheap GPU would give and get some exercise (If needed) at the same time.

Soldato
What CPU and motherboard do you have now?

If AMD you could swap out your CPU for an APU, should be cheaper than even a low end GPU right now.
Yep, swap out CPU for APU (or stick with integrated graphics) for a while. Do some retro gaming or something else with PC, learn Python, web development etc. It'll soon be summer - go outside - then buy a decent GPU in the autumn (or when crypto crashes again).

Permabanned
I'd buy a cheapo gpu because I'm unwilling to pay crazy prices. That would mean I couldn't play modern games, but I mostly play retro games anyway so it would be fine until sanity returns to the market.

Man of Honour
-Check warranty
-Consider if you can survive with a weak GPU or not (if so use integrated gfx if you have it)
-Babysit the members market and snap up a secondhand GPU at asking price within a minute or two of it being posted

The one thing I wouldn't do right now is go out and buy a new GPU, given the prices. I guess I'm fortunate enough to have an OK gfx card in reserve should my main one break, but even if I didn't, I can't see myself wanting to pay current prices.

Permabanned
OP, get a used GTX laptop and wait out the insanity taking place.

You would be able to run any game on a mixture of ultra,high,medium and low settings at 1080p.

Or you could use your onboard graphics if you have one?

Finally, if you want a 3 series card, keep checking the websites for a card. As I would not encourage using the scaplers.

Ocuk would give you a deal should you email them first?

Soldato
Get a 750 Ti or something to tide you over. Those are still going for "reasonable" money of £60 or so and will happily run a ton of great games. Go back and play some classics you've been meaning to get around to some day.

Back
Top Bottom