Homemade Chorizo

Associate
I got a Chorizo making kit for Valentines Day (she knows me well) from https://spicelydoesit.com/products/make-your-own-chorizo-sausage-kit

2.2kg of pork mince and 450g of bacon lardons (mixture of smoked and non-smoked)
dlceWKcl.jpg

All mushed together
JjnAIokl.jpg

Spice and curing mix added
ByAuw5ql.jpg

More mushing
iFbjM5hl.jpg

Red win added and mushed again
PuJLJ8Gl.jpg

Wrapped up and in the fridge for 48 hours
G4xqVUGl.jpg

Sticky hands!
Qqrvf4zl.jpg

That's the easy part out of the way, though they said put the meat in the freezer for 30mins beforehand, which meant my hands were numb by the end.

The kit contains casing for 2 sausages, once I've done that then I'll need to hang them for about a week.

Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Good luck I did this about 12 years ago. We used a starter culture to kick of the lactic acid as well as the cure. Hung them in the kitchen for 24 hours to get the culture going then in the fridge. We weighed them and labelled them then re-weighed until 30% weight loss (probably 3 weeks).
They were ok, the lactic acid tang was quite strong and in retrospect we should have used more spicing. I also think I should have added some more liquid, red wine maybe. Most interesting bit was eating for the first time worried about botulism, I'm still here so worked out ok. texture however was spot on.

Good luck and I hope they turn out well.

Associate
OP
Piped them in to the skins, mucked up when I cut the skins and ended up putting holes in most of them.

So I ordered some more skins from Spicely Does It and followed the instructions this time!

This was about 2 days after making them, I initially put them in the conservatory but I think it was too cold in there, so moved them in to the office.

cCvdM1Bl.jpg

d01DMuTl.jpg

I’ve just given them their first vinegar wash, I uncurled a couple of the shorter ones as the two sides were touching and not allowing any air to get to them.

Associate
OP
The final result :cool:

eBvvDvvl.jpg

cLEoJJ3l.jpg

1iYwguJl.jpg

They're a lot drier than the shop bought ones and a more meaty flavour, just now waiting to see if I've given myself food poisoning!
I didn't put enough meat mixture in, so they dried a bit flat.

I've kept 3 out to eat in the next few days and then chopped the rest up and put in the freezer.

Definitely would do it again.

Back
Top Bottom