The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
My mate, who is buying a house is flabbergasted by his solicitor!

She emailed him asking him what the address of the property that he is buying is?!!!

He replied telling her to look back one email and you will see! Its even on the survey attached to an email he sent her!

Are they stupid or what?

Associate
Eeek, that doesn't sound good. Can only imagine what else they'll miss along the way

Have to say, our solicitors (which we were referred to by our financial advisor) were pretty good in the whole process. I guess it being a chain free purchase made it a lot easier for them too.

Man of Honour
Looks cracking. Congrats!

Thanks!

Looks good and 65k is a good saving!

Indeed, we lose out on a double garage but gain in so many other areas which are important to us - including a south facing rear garden! Looking at the market the original house we wanted is probably £20-30k overpriced.

Looks fab.

I've always wondered what the external appearance of a house does to the value.

I think our house looks lovely from outside. I see others locally that look basically disgusting. Ie you wouldn't put them up on social media

I have to say the outside of my house did sway me

Thanks, the look of a property on the outside will definitely be a big factor in people buying.

Caporegime
350->400 roughly

That's a big rise!
Thanks!

Indeed, we lose out on a double garage but gain in so many other areas which are important to us - including a south facing rear garden! Looking at the market the original house we wanted is probably £20-30k overpriced.

Thanks, the look of a property on the outside will definitely be a big factor in people buying.

A South or West facing rear garden is so so much worth it. It was an absolute requirement for me.
No sun in the evening after work in summer is a big no for me.

I'd say you absolutely made the right choice

Soldato
That's a big rise!

A South or West facing rear garden is so so much worth it. It was an absolute requirement for me.

It is pretty nuts if you are in a nice town commutable to London. Mine most recently made its owner 50k after 4 years of ownership. The owner before him made £116k in 4 years (2010-2014).

Zoopla now reckons its gone up from what I paid to 528. No idea who coded their algorithms :D

Man of Honour
That's a big rise!

The house is 30 seconds walk from the current one. It was a lovely warm winter sunshine and our back garden was just cast in shadow. We went and viewed it and the garden was covered in sun and the grass was nice and dry, unlike ours which turns into a bog over winter and moss becomes a nightmare, due to a combination of north facing and the ground being clay. I said to my mrs that we could be sat out in the garden now, enjoying the sunshine and we couldn't do that in the current house.

One thing we do get is lovely hot sun in the summer late into the evening, doesn't this reduce with south facing?

Also, a massive bonus for me is that the house has FTTP - I'm almost beside myself after being stuck on FTTC for over 6 years.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This feels like such a n00b question, as i am really quite au fait with UK broadband provision ( :p), but does anyone happen to know if an alt-net covers Highclere on the Berkshire/Hampshire border near newbury?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd pay a serious chunk of money for that
When I was self employed, I looked into FTTPoD. I think the install cost was around £5k and then the £100 a month or whatever it was with Cerberus for a year or so. At the time I chose not to follow through but looking back I'm regretting that I didn't, especially as I could have potentially written it off as an expense.

Soldato
That's a big rise!

We have a north facing garden and roughly in the middle of the short length of a rectangle. Our garden is mostly in the sun all day long minus a length along the house. In peak season on the back of the house we'll get the morning rising sun and the evening setting sun.

Soldato
I'd pay a serious chunk of money for that

FTTC here for the past 13 years!

You know things are bad when you missed having virgin media at your old house :eek:

I'm due to complete on Friday and can't wait to get real internet, been stuck using 3 home WiFi for a couple of years and although it's manageable online gaming has been pretty much impossible if anyone else is using it

Soldato
That's a big rise!

I don't know how people compromise on the aspect. Mine is SSW facing at the rear, spent the whole day there Sunday just soaking it up. Glorious, made the stress of moving last year worth it.

I look at the other houses around here with north/east facing poky little gardens that have sold recently....baffles me why people buy them.

You can fix everything about a property, *apart* from it's location and garden space!

Soldato
I don't know how people compromise on the aspect. Mine is SSW facing at the rear, spent the whole day there Sunday just soaking it up. Glorious, made the stress of moving last year worth it.

I look at the other houses around here with north/east facing poky little gardens that have sold recently....baffles me why people buy them.

You can fix everything about a property, *apart* from it's location and garden space!

Not everyone is interested in which way the garden faces or how big it is.

Caporegime
We have a north facing garden and roughly in the middle of the short length of a rectangle. Our garden is mostly in the sun all day long minus a length along the house. In peak season on the back of the house we'll get the morning rising sun and the evening setting sun.

I couldn't do it. Working during the day means morning sun is of no value. There's a lovely house opposite but it's garden faces north east! Must be im Shade all afternoon and evening

Caporegime

I also don't get it.

If it's a massive garden it doesn't matter. But the average garden it does. It's not important to everyone I guess. But if you want a garden, I don't know how it isn't!

Back
Top Bottom