*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Tea Drinker
Don
I've made big mistake! Last time I used my weber spirit gas bbq, I forgot to clean it. Opened it up yesterday, greasy mould! Everywhere! Any ideas how to clean it??

Skip it and buy a charcoal :p but yeah scrape it off and fire it up.

Jetwashed mine out yesterday, the ash catcher which I haven’t emptied since I bought it 3 years ago was full of a ash, fat and manky water. Heaving emptying it out :p

Associate
Skip it and buy a charcoal :p but yeah scrape it off and fire it up.

Jetwashed mine out yesterday, the ash catcher which I haven’t emptied since I bought it 3 years ago was full of a ash, fat and manky water. Heaving emptying it out :p

I've got a big kettle, but the gas is used for quick cooks etc after a 12 hrs shift and just fancy a quick steak haha!

Cheers for the reply, I'll scrap and fire and scrap.again might even jet wash it

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've made big mistake! Last time I used my weber spirit gas bbq, I forgot to clean it. Opened it up yesterday, greasy mould! Everywhere! Any ideas how to clean it??

I wouldn't even bother cleaning it. Just turn it up to full and put the lid down for 10 mins.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Tested my birthday present out yesterday:-

156063424_10225693569144762_7646114419575670522_o.jpg

155557012_10225693569424769_4144816125059861866_o.jpg

Two pieces of pork shoulder and a piece of pork belly. Prob need to cook a bit longer (pork was up to safe temp but didn't get to "done temp"). Was still pretty good though!

Soldato
Tested my birthday present out yesterday:-

156063424_10225693569144762_7646114419575670522_o.jpg

155557012_10225693569424769_4144816125059861866_o.jpg

Two pieces of pork shoulder and a piece of pork belly. Prob need to cook a bit longer (pork was up to safe temp but didn't get to "done temp"). Was still pretty good though!
Nice acquisition! Welcome to the thread. What temp did you get to? As there's a big difference between safe and done! Less so for the pork belly, but for the shoulder you've gotta get to 195F or above, and then rest for at least 45 mins while kept warm. How did the smoker perform? Much fire maintenance or were you able to set and forget?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nice acquisition! Welcome to the thread. What temp did you get to? As there's a big difference between safe and done! Less so for the pork belly, but for the shoulder you've gotta get to 195F or above, and then rest for at least 45 mins while kept warm. How did the smoker perform? Much fire maintenance or were you able to set and forget?

Yeah, exactly. It got to 73c but I was shooting for 93c. As you say, safe to eat, but not "done". Reckon another couple of hours would have seen it perfect, but it was 6pm and the kids were getting hangry!

It was still good though and ok for a first try :)

Temps held well but my wireless probes didn't arrive in time so I was relying on the hood sensor which I know isn't ideal (hood was showing 120c-130c but chamber temps were actually 100c-110c). Actually had some unburnt coals left at the end (closed all the vents off and let it drop to 30c and did some smoked cheeses at the end) so happy with burn time as well.

Soldato
No one ever gets their first pork shoulder up to temp in time for dinner on their first attempt, consider that your initiation :D

Enjoy falling further down the rabbit hole, I'd suggest a rack of ribs next. Less about temperature and more about feel/texture on that one.

Soldato
No one ever gets their first pork shoulder up to temp in time for dinner on their first attempt, consider that your initiation :D

Enjoy falling further down the rabbit hole, I'd suggest a rack of ribs next. Less about temperature and more about feel/texture on that one.

I remember the first attempts well.. When it's getting towards 11pm, the meat still isn't done and the missus is starting to get hangry!

Soldato
That's a shame as the premium version has the ashless system.

Furthermore, the enclosed ash catcher pan ash contained and out of the way as well as giving a guide for how the vent should be controlled, with the three main positions - closed, smoking and grilling (fully open) - all marked.

Soldato
I've just found this thread and after reading back a few pages I'm not only drooling but I have around 15 tabs open looking into the various bits of equipment mentioned.

I threw a cheapo bbq away at the end of last year so I only have an electric plancha and I need to up my game.

What charcoal bbq would you recommend up to say 100 - 150 and what about the cheap smokers on amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNLIFER-C...ywords=bbq+grill+smoker&qid=1614698433&sr=8-3) - are they worth a go or should I just go for a Weber smoky mountain or similar?

Soldato
I've just found this thread and after reading back a few pages I'm not only drooling but I have around 15 tabs open looking into the various bits of equipment mentioned.

I threw a cheapo bbq away at the end of last year so I only have an electric plancha and I need to up my game.

What charcoal bbq would you recommend up to say 100 - 150 and what about the cheap smokers on amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNLIFER-C...ywords=bbq+grill+smoker&qid=1614698433&sr=8-3) - are they worth a go or should I just go for a Weber smoky mountain or similar?
It's a pretty big gamble to take a punt on something at that price range. Common issues are build quality, missing parts, airflow issues (either by design or poor QC). You may be able to overcome some of these with various modifications, but it might just be a losing battle. And in any case at that price point, a lack of durability is almost always going to mean it'll last 3 or 4 years tops.

In some cases you can find a comprehensive review from someone who knows what they are talking about, I had a callow smoker for a few years which was a bargain at 65 quid, now retails at 115 I think and not in stock anymore.
Premium Charcoal BBQ Smoker Grill (gardengiftshop.co.uk)
They may market a new version at somepoint.

People on below websites sometimes do in depth reviews so might be worth a look on there
Forums - WoodSmoke Forum
Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Otherwise a WSM, ProQ or Napoleon Apollo will definitely not let you down, will always do the job and last years too if you look after it. Keep an eye on gumtree/fb marketplace as people do sometimes get them as gifts or impulse purchases and look to offload.

Soldato
Thanks for that, some great links there!

Do people generally just have a smoker and use it as a BBQ too or is a seperate BBQ the way to go?
I used my callow smoker as a BBQ a few times, but it's not exactly ideally suited. Something like a weber kettle is a bona fide BBQ and can work well as a more than decent smoker if you know what you're doing. A bullet smoker will be a good smoker and a makeshift BBQ. A kamado can excel at both.

A separate smoker and grill can work well if you have the space and that way you have flexibility and extra square inches.
A good kettle can do both like I said, and probably be the cheapest option at the same time.

Soldato
I used my callow smoker as a BBQ a few times, but it's not exactly ideally suited. Something like a weber kettle is a bona fide BBQ and can work well as a more than decent smoker if you know what you're doing. A bullet smoker will be a good smoker and a makeshift BBQ. A kamado can excel at both.

A separate smoker and grill can work well if you have the space and that way you have flexibility and extra square inches.
A good kettle can do both like I said, and probably be the cheapest option at the same time.

The better bullet smokers can be used just like a kettle by removing the middle sections.

Associate
Thanks for that, some great links there!

Do people generally just have a smoker and use it as a BBQ too or is a seperate BBQ the way to go?

Don’t buy that smoker, it’ll be a leaky & poorly made POS. If you don’t want to spend much then buy a Weber 57cm kettle, lots of space for smoking some big cuts.

If you’re into bbq enough to have a smoker, then chances are very good that you have a separate bbq/grill for normal cooking. A WSM 47cm & 57cm Weber kettle makes for a very good combination.

Associate

There may be a bit of a language barrier/difference here, so forgive me if that's the case.

If you want to grill food ( cooked at high temp over charcoal ) then a Weber kettle is among the best you can get.

If you want to BBQ (cooked at low temp with smoke for a long period of time ) then you need an offset smoker. You just can't BBQ over direct heat like a Weber produces. Offset smokers tend to be more expensive. Over here the entry models are ~ $300 to $400 and go way up from there. Some costing several thousand dollars.

If you want to do both then you'll need one of each. Though you could grill on an offset smoker most don't like to as it can effect the 'cure' on the smoke chamber.

Back
Top Bottom