Its about time I got my daughter her own computer!

Associate
OP
So this is what I think I am going to purchase with the following considerations.
  • I can get the monitor and CPU cheaper elsewhere so knocking £40 off the total. I see these items, along with the MB, as the central part of the system so future proofing as much as is reasonably possible.
  • 500Gb drive for now, I think that will be more than enough. Its on sale and I can always add more later.
  • The GC will be more than what she needs at the moment and I can always upgrade that as well. As long as the CPU stays relevant.
Please chip in if I've missed something.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,048.82 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Is a £200 144hz monitor really needed for roblox, etc ?

The 1650 super is a good card for 1080p 5500xt is similar performance and will give you freesync.

I looked at some cheaper monitors and at £200 I was in agreement but once I found it a little cheaper the gap was not much different.

Soldato
Looks good - but I'd swap the 5500 XT for the GB 1660 Super personally.

Better performing card and Nvidia's drivers are more reliable for £30 extra.

Edit: Although not sure if that monitor is G-Sync compatible. Tbh she'll be happy either way, just stick with the 5500 XT I guess. :p

Associate
OP
Good evening all, oh actually its the morning :(

Apologies for resurrecting this post but the computer I built for my daughter as per your recommendations here has thrown a wobbly. I'm really hoping with your advice I'll be able to get it back on its feet - I've been trying all night.

Rewind to earlier this evening. Daughters playing Minecraft with no issues as she has done since I built it. Came down for her tea and when she returned it was in the blue W10 repair screen. None of the repairs work and it just seems to be in a perpetual reboot loop never getting fully past the spinning dots. So far I have tried:
  • The inbuilt repairs none of which work. Strangely, it asks for my daughters password which it no longer recognised so many of the repairs were not initially possible.
  • Created a W10 repair USB and tried the same, no change.
  • Reinstalled W10 and nearly finished the install when it cut out back to initial boot up and am exactly back to where we was before.
  • Re-seated the RAM, nothing else so far.
Things I have noticed:
  • All fans spin as normal apart from the graphics card which power down once we get past the BIOS boot. I've read that this could be a feature of the card potentially.
  • My daughter said it had been making a 'pop' noise when turning off for some time. I've read that sometimes this can be the PSU but have never experienced it myself - wish I had now :(
  • None of the temps are too high in the bios, appx 35 degrees.
  • No burning smells.
I'm now in the nightmare position where further fault finding starts involving swapping out parts so I'm hoping that someone can suggest a potential fix.

Many thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom