Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
Hoping to finally get out tomorrow.

A mate has also just bought a one piece Hypr paddle. It’s new apparently and not yet advertised on their website so looking forward to checking that out.

Hope you managed to get out Martyn...I took a 2 week break from paddling (my longest winter break this season) during the snow / mini beast but still managed some hikes along river in the snows...

Managed to Get out Monday and Friday for 3 hour sessions this week as conditions have been good....really taken to the gladiator and will be selling my 10ft board.

Soldato
Great photo.

Yes managed to get out. The first time for a few months. Especially if I don’t count the failed 1 mile paddle through frozen canal at the end of December.

Managed 6 miles. The first mile felt a struggle but then I felt better as I got back into it. Need to get my form back though as found I keep hunching my shoulders which gets painful towards the end of the paddles.

Man of Honour
That is a great shot. I managed a couple of paddles over the past few days. More intervals than long tours but great to get out and get sweaty.

Associate
Great to hear you guys are getting out on the water. Martyn I already have a morning/evening yoga and stretch routine in place plus some target stretches before after paddle..... Perhaps some focused stretching will do your shoulders some good.

Associate
So there's no restrictions in lock down to going out for a paddle? Comes under exercise?

Your fine to go for a paddle as considered exercise......the only restrictions apply with how many of you can meet outside of your own family unit (you and one over socially distanced). Keep it local as much as possible....you don't want to be travelling excessive distances.

Soldato
Yeah, i think it's the distance things which is the only criteria. The canal is a 5 minute drive from my house so that feels like it fits in the rules.

I took the dogs to the beach on Sunday (probably a bit far at 25 minutes), but they both have terrible allergies and so the beach is about the best place for them to get a decent walk. The sea was as still as i've ever seen it and with the spring tide was as close inland as i've ever seem it too. Someone on a local facebook group took this. I've never been on a sea like this before.

IRFAoRs.png

I'm hoping restrictions lift so i can take my board. Feels a bit far to go just for a paddle.

Associate
Wow that looks perfect conditions Martyn blue skies/ flat calm @ 25mins away reckon doable (I would...on the right day :)) Not exactly been so nice this week weather wise but got out this morning for a couple hours...chilly but most enjoyable. Have now sold the paddle and leash...may keep the pump (really good though unlikely to use it as my board stays inflated 99%)

Associate
Prefer to avoid windy conditions & fortunate have enough flexibility to choose perfect days to go....check wind map in advance and aim for days 10/12 mph and below. Can really pick up across water meadow and certain sections no fun hitting a head wind travelling back upstream, Can only imagine what it is like across that bay.....no shelter whatsoever though perfect on a calm day.

Associate
Saw a few days back that Tuesday might be a promising day wind drop/sunny Got up for an early session..was out for a 2.5 hours door to door incl portage...wind did pick up on the way back but a cracking morning 3 locks down and back + coffee break of course :)

Associate

Yes pace is noticeably up on the 10ft board definite feels quicker Glide is a big improvement certainly noticeable between paddle strokes & of course straight line tracking is in a different league. Very much get on with the stability and length hence looking too sell the 10ft board Negs are maneuverability as does take some time to get her to turn the nose ....have a couple of dog leg bends which can be fun to navigate. Am not a fan of the us box fin connector ....hate the nut and screw design far too fiddly compared to the ease of my other board. Still need too source a shorter fin can see myself running into issues with weed and shallow margins during the summer months.....needs too lop of a couple of inches :)

Man of Honour
They do look good these gladiators. I want to get an inflatable for travel and leaning towards allsar or the naish race board at mo. As an aside re fins, the sic okeanos has a neat feature with two short shallow water or weed fins that can replace the regular fin. I was considering it but it was a bit lardy in the width.

Soldato
I was considering the Allstar when i got my Gladiator, but in the end i decided i didn't see what benefits i was getting for double the cost and probably wouldn't have noticed or been able to take advantage of the increased stiffness from the airline thing.

@ThriceNightly you can get Click in fins to avoid that hassle
https://sup.co.uk/jobe-fcs-touring-centre-fin

The only thing to note, i believe they're mainly designed for hard boards where the fin box is more rigid for it to "press against", but from what i've head they should be fine on inflatable ones too. I was close to buying one as like you the screw gets annoying, then went and spend double on a Black Project fin with a screw...

Associate
Got my first SUP, went for a sandbanks board and it looks and feels amazing. Still quite cold in the water this time of year in the UK, so wondered what people wear, I'm thinking about going for a top and bottom wetsuit rather than an all in one as it gives you a bit more flexibility. Hopefully won't be in the water too much!!

Associate
Got my first SUP, went for a sandbanks board and it looks and feels amazing. Still quite cold in the water this time of year in the UK, so wondered what people wear, I'm thinking about going for a top and bottom wetsuit rather than an all in one as it gives you a bit more flexibility. Hopefully won't be in the water too much!!

Congrats on your new board :)

Perhaps others can chip in on wet suits as have no experience with these.

I do sail a little close to the wind gear wise inland waterways non-tidal (aim to not be in the water at all - straight home for me if that happened :p) so would NOT recommend my winter load out
3mm surf boots with 3 pairs of socks (one pair full length thick wool) Feet get well cold stationary standing
Base layers
Waterproof mitts (toasty)
Lightweight body warmer
Merino arm warmers (cycling type)
Merino neck warmer
Technical running gear (tight fit to keep off the wind) i.e lycra bottoms long sleeve hooded top. Fit is most important for top layers as need to source gear long in the body and arms...so as too keep mid-riff covered during paddle strokes. .......Find can pick out some nice bits in the Decathlon running sections.

Easy to peel off add layers as find I warm up considerably on my journey back up stream.

Back
Top Bottom