Dog 'Attack' Advice Request

Caporegime
Uh oh, not another dog thread. These never end well.

Can I preface this by saying that you're an absolute monster for owning a dog, if you've ever left a dog poo anywhere you're an monster, if you've ever let your dog off a leash you're a monster, if your dog has ever been within 50 yards of a child you're a monster.

Think that just about covers it?

Man of Honour
You had control of your dog. She did not have control of hers. Hers came into range of yours. Tell her to stick it and warn her that she should keep her dog under control in the future.

EDIT: Although her dog was not being aggressive and yours was, the fact yours was on a lead should have been an indication for her to keep her dog away. For example if she had seen someone riding a horse then it would be unreasonable for her to allow her dog to run up to them as they will react. In a similar vein if she sees another dog on a lead then she should take that as a warning to keep her dog away and under control. She was negligent in allowing her dog to approach yours, or your property, where it could reasonably be expected that your dog would become territorial.

IANAL but have owned dogs in the past.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ALL dogs should be on a lead at all times, my niece hates dogs coming up to her but you know 'my biggles is a good dog and wouldn't hurt a fly ' so what she moaning for.

That and when they come and jump up at you covered in mud, amount of arguments with dog owners over this, yes I do mind having your muddy dog jumping up at me.

I'm sure everyone has at least one dog nowadays I'm feeling left out.

Some dog breeds need space to run off lead.

One time recently I walked passed a bloke in goal with his two kids, he had a hoodie on the floor or something and my 7 month old puppy went over to the hoodie and sniffed it and came back...that all happened in about 5-10 seconds.

He shouted after me that my dog had cocked it's leg on his top, which is ludicrous as she is a girl dog and I was watching her the whole time.

It was surreal what this guy who was clearly scared of dogs was saying.

I told him she was a girl dog and that seemed to shut him up

Soldato
You could also point them here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals

When walking your dog in areas used by other people, you should consider putting your dog on a lead to ensure you can stay 2 metres away from others.

And here:
https://www.rspca.org.uk/-/how-to-c...ll-or-have-to-self-isolate-due-to-coronavirus

You will need to stay two metres apart from anyone outside of your household or support bubble. Putting your dog on the lead when walking in areas with other dogs will help ensure you can stay two metres away from others.

Soldato
Some dog breeds need space to run off lead.

Not in a park when people are playing football. Especially a puppy or a dog with poor recall.
Put the shoe on the other foot, what if the puppy accidently got kicked in the head if it suddely ran between the ball and someone was trying to kick the ball? Who's fault would you say that would be?

Soldato
Bill her for your football, it's an expensive one around about the same cost as a visit to the vets.

Cost of a football? Pah! He should sue her for whiplash, PTSD and a trip to Florida so his dog can have the very latest in Canine Counselling to help him get over the incident.

Soldato
not completely the same but my 2 year old son got bit by a dog that was on a lead as he walked past it, thing had been agitated by some dogs behind a fence and had a pop at our boy who was holding his mothers hand i guess as it couldn't get at the dogs behind the fence.
i reported to it 101 who put us in touch with the local dog warden who had a muzzling order put on the dog and told us if we wanted to we could take it further as the dog was out of control (even though on a lead)
i only mention this as it's not 100% clear cut that because the op's dog was on a lead he is in the clear.

Permabanned
The dog should have been put on the leash after it ran across the first time but it did so a further two times, she is to blame in the eye of the law for not having her dog under control (I have been there many time as had a larger breed (GSD) and many small dogs attack him and got injured).

No matter the law she will always make you the baddy and badmouth you and tour dog to other, that is how people are today

Soldato
Your dog was on a lead, theirs was not and was pestering you and your dog. Politely suggest they keep their dog on a lead in future.

A pet hate of mine is people that walk their dogs off leads in public places. While the majority of dogs are friendly, the majority of dogs (not all) also have a sub-par recall* and this can lead to all sorts of issues such as pestering nervous dogs that are on leads, or perhaps worrying people that are nervous of dogs as the dog is not on a lead. They then try and laugh it off with a "haha, sorry, sorry. FIDO! FIDO! COME HERE. I'm sorry, they're not normally like this".... ¬_¬

*yes, yes, yes, I'm sure everyone is convinced their dog has a great recall, but show them a ball, or a dog in heat, or a dog/person that smells of their favourite food, and you'll soon see they fall short of being the perfectly trained, robotically obedient dog that you think they are.

Soldato
Your dog was on a lead, theirs was not and was pestering you and your dog. Politely suggest they keep their dog on a lead in future.

A pet hate of mine is people that walk their dogs off leads in public places. While the majority of dogs are friendly, the majority of dogs (not all) also have a sub-par recall* and this can lead to all sorts of issues such as pestering nervous dogs that are on leads, or perhaps worrying people that are nervous of dogs as the dog is not on a lead. They then try and laugh it off with a "haha, sorry, sorry. FIDO! FIDO! COME HERE. I'm sorry, they're not normally like this".... ¬_¬

*yes, yes, yes, I'm sure everyone is convinced their dog has a great recall, but show them a ball, or a dog in heat, or a dog/person that smells of their favourite food, and you'll soon see they fall short of being the perfectly trained, robotically obedient dog that you think they are.

100% agree, and I say that as a dog owner. If you want the dog to run free, take it somewhere more appropriate, I.e. not a park where people are playing sports, and there are toddlers running about etc. Or make sure its well trained enough to give a sheepdog a run for it's money.

Back
Top Bottom