Can anyone identify this connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I bought a cheap laptop charger for my wife (had decent reviews, no house fires, etc) a few months ago which has now broken and I am trying to identify the name of the connector to see if I can get a replacement plug for it.

I contacted the supplier on Amazon and they said they are out of stock so issued a refund. I know people will say don't buy cheap plugs but my wife breaks everything and I didn't want to buy an expensive official charger just for that to break too.

Anyone able to identify the 2 pin connection on the back of the plug? All I need is a new UK plug to fit on the brick. It is similar to the ones you get with travel adapters but I am unable to find one that looks like it'll fit.

Thanks

50993179577_da33ca3b24_c.jpg

50993179562_d05d0c8d91_c.jpg

Commissario
If this were me, I'd solder a short jumper cable from the two sticky out bits to a plug and make sure that the parts I'd soldered were covered with an awful lot of insulating tape.

But how did she break a plug? That's really careless and shows a total lack of respect for the equipment. They're not exactly easy things to break.

Soldato
To be fair that’s just a plastic part and it is perfectly possible to have a poor batch or an injection moulding defect that makes it break more easily than it should... she didn’t necessarily mishandle it.

I’m not sure there’s any standard to that sort of slide plug, so you’d just have to get lucky. Shame it isn’t a standardised cord type connector! If you search for slide plug or slip plug you may find something that looks about right and give it a go.

If the laptop isn't more than a few years old, check whether it has a USB-C input. I have a 2018 lappy that can run off from that if the charger isn't around.

Also, +1 about breaking things. If you do get another charger, make an agreement between the 2 of on which wall socket the plug the charger in, and then don't move it! Stick with that spot and that will remain the laptop's charging point for the rest of its life. If your money can stretch, get a docking station too as then you don't need to use any cables and the wife docks it when it needs charging.

Soldato
Not ideal but did it come with any foreign plugs. You could use one of them with an adaptor.

If not probably the cheapest bodge would be to buy the world's cheapest phone charger hack saw off the plastic earth pin and super glue it on.

Associate
OP
If this were me, I'd solder a short jumper cable from the two sticky out bits to a plug and make sure that the parts I'd soldered were covered with an awful lot of insulating tape.

But how did she break a plug? That's really careless and shows a total lack of respect for the equipment. They're not exactly easy things to break.

It is cheap fragile plastic, she dropped it from a very short height, it hit the hard floor and it snapped right off. Not hard to do really.

It's only plastic, can't you use a good adhesive and glue the earth pin back on?

Considered this, but it's a work laptop (she has three work laptops) that she also uses for Zwift, so is constantly back and forth between different plugs. I think even with the strongest super glue the constant in and out of sockets would weaken it and then I'll have the problem of removing it from the socket.

If the laptop isn't more than a few years old, check whether it has a USB-C input. I have a 2018 lappy that can run off from that if the charger isn't around.

Also, +1 about breaking things. If you do get another charger, make an agreement between the 2 of on which wall socket the plug the charger in, and then don't move it! Stick with that spot and that will remain the laptop's charging point for the rest of its life. If your money can stretch, get a docking station too as then you don't need to use any cables and the wife docks it when it needs charging.

It's a 2018 MacBook Pro, so only has USB-C. As said above, it needs to be moved between wall sockets. She has a docking station for her main work computer in her office, but she doesn't use this one as much, hence why I went with the cheaper charger. I also have a USB-C MacBook Pro, but I don't let her anywhere near my charger :p

Not ideal but did it come with any foreign plugs. You could use one of them with an adaptor.

If not probably the cheapest bodge would be to buy the world's cheapest phone charger hack saw off the plastic earth pin and super glue it on.

It came with US and EU plugs too, but I'd feel weird using an adapter as it already can get a bit warm when in use.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Just use a metal knife in the earth of the outlet to jack open the power pins, then that'll work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom