*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
I have such a love hate relationship with Ubiquiti right now. When it works it works, when it doesn't it really breaks hard.

So I recently replaced my aging Edgerouter Lite 3 with a USG 4 Pro. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to adopt the USG into my existing environment. Apparently you can't simply adopt a USG like you might an AP and need to manually configure it onto the same subnet as your UniFi controller.

Once that struggle was over I started firing some firmware updates. APs, Switch, USG all updated without issue. Then I update the Cloudkey Gen 2 Plus... Big mistake.

I neglected to see the update was 1.x to 2.x and although this shouldn't have mattered I should have probably considered whether such a major update to what I now know to be Unity OS was wise.

The update bricked my Cloudkey by getting it stuck in a permanent 'Preparing to Setup' phase. I couldn't work around it at all which left me staring down a factory defaults black hole. Cue the dreaded SSH command and the erasure of all my G3 Pro camera footage I can finally move forward.

I manually applied the 2.x firmware via SSH wget and fwpdate. Turns out automatic backups for my Cloudkey didn't exist but fortunately I had just done manual backups of Network and Protect so could restore them.

Some many hours after what I thought would be a simple USG install my environment is up and running.

Turns out that my Protect is broken though. Unifi OS handles additional user access to Network / Protect differently. As the owner I can remotely access my controller via web and mobile app fine. No other users can though. It also turns out any newly created users can't either!

It seems its a fairly common issue on the UniFi Community forums and a range of 'so called' fixes have worked for some, but not me. One of the issues people face is typing a new user email in anything other than all lower case causes the invite / user addition to fail. How amateur is that! Another fix for the some is to disable and re-enable Remote Access, delete ALL users that are not the owner and any custom roles, reboot, then add new users.

I am now waiting for Tier 2 support to give some idea of what's broken in my case! I'm not hopeful.

As a final note - I don't appreciate having to inspect an element of the Radius Server config page and to run manual console commands to enable Site Wide Client config to get my L2TP VPN working. A setting which doesn't even show in the new settings and is only visible, but disabled to toggle, in classic view!

Never update firmware unless you have googled for issues and checked on Reddit.

I just leave mine alone now. Lots of people have issues with the current available for mine so I'm just leaving it for the next one and check after 2-3 months and see if anyone has posted issues.

Soldato
Never update firmware unless you have googled for issues and checked on Reddit.

I just leave mine alone now. Lots of people have issues with the current available for mine so I'm just leaving it for the next one and check after 2-3 months and see if anyone has posted issues.
Wise advice, I did mine the other month and it broke the families iPhone connection for weeks :(

on another note I’m going to move from SkyQ to Virgin, is it as simple as unplug and plug in my UniFi switch, 3x APs etc

Caporegime
Wise advice, I did mine the other month and it broke the families iPhone connection for weeks :(

on another note I’m going to move from SkyQ to Virgin, is it as simple as unplug and plug in my UniFi switch, 3x APs etc

I found out the hard way. Everyone including folk on here say don't do firmware updates but I'm one of those that always does.

I've messed up a motherboard once also and had to contact support who had since removed the bios in question and gave me a link to a special BIOS hidden from the public to rectify the issue.

I messed up my access points where my nest hello kept disconnecting and other stuff stopped working, etc. I googled and found out others had same issue and then took me forever to downgrade the firmware.

Now if it works fine don't touch it. Google the firmware version. Check Reddit. Wait 2-3 months and Google again. If you don't find anything then rest assured it's probably safe but with ubiquity I'd still be apprehensive.

I don't understand how they manage to **** up majority of their firmware updates. They need to hire some decent programmers.

Soldato
I found out the hard way. Everyone including folk on here say don't do firmware updates but I'm one of those that always does.

I've messed up a motherboard once also and had to contact support who had since removed the bios in question and gave me a link to a special BIOS hidden from the public to rectify the issue.

I messed up my access points where my nest hello kept disconnecting and other stuff stopped working, etc. I googled and found out others had same issue and then took me forever to downgrade the firmware.

Now if it works fine don't touch it. Google the firmware version. Check Reddit. Wait 2-3 months and Google again. If you don't find anything then rest assured it's probably safe but with ubiquity I'd still be apprehensive.

I don't understand how they manage to **** up majority of their firmware updates. They need to hire some decent programmers.
As much as I love tech, I loathe fixing stuff that breaks ....too old for all that

Soldato
Yeah don't read the forums over there but my VM connection has always been fine in modem mode. I have never used their device as router/wireless (SH3 for me). Before the UMDP/UniFi stack I just had a TP-Link router on there and was also great.

Soldato
That’s the point isn’t it, some parts of the network are great, others are terrible and it’s a postcode lottery as to what the level of service you’ll get.

The fact the network issues and congestion on VM are constantly making it to main stream media and consumer affairs programs should say enough that it isn’t all rosey in VM land. But because the way VM works, it’s highly dependent on your postcode.

With your connection being fine just reinforces that point.

Soldato
got this speed on my 500 meg fttp from the uap-ac-pro using a xaiomi redmi note 9s. im guessing this is 2x2 device since its on 80mhz channel width. whats top speed of this ap? does it do better with multiple users on it at once?

uap-ac-pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom