• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket lake leaks

Caporegime
The big question is stock. AMD have no stock of the 5900x, or 5950x, so if Intel get ample stock of Rocket Lake on the shelves, they've won the high end with the 11900k, since AMD have a paper launch for those two sku's.

So far we've seen that Intel has shipped mass amounts of 11700k to retailers, especially in Germany where a few retailers broke NDA and sold them already!

We're retreating to stock issues and "paper-launch" nonsense are we? You realise that AMDs 8 core part is widely available?

Intel's high-end is akin to AMD's mid-range. Intel have not won the high end anything because they can't really make a high end chip currently. It's yet to be seen if they can compete in the midrange, but it's not looking great.

Caporegime
Everything seems to be waiting on Intel releasing the final Microcode (contained in UEFI) update which will finalize clocks, boosting algorithm and fix any bugs and improve overclocking.

Is the microcode going to make breakfast, wash the car, add the 8 missing cores and halve the power consumption too?

It's for this reason that leaked benchmarks are to be taken with a pinch of salt until the official reviews land.

Says the man who has been posting the most pointless benchmarks and foaming at the mouth about this "ultimate gaming CPU" because it is 2% faster at some inane AVX-512 benchmark.

Soldato
The big question is stock. AMD have no stock of the 5900x, or 5950x, so if Intel get ample stock of Rocket Lake on the shelves, they've won the high end with the 11900k, since AMD have a paper launch for those two sku's.

So far we've seen that Intel has shipped mass amounts of 11700k to retailers, especially in Germany where a few retailers broke NDA and sold them already!
Do you ever give up ?
This is just laughable now you've won troll of the year award now please stop

I notice now its if intel have plenty of stock getting in just incase dave ?

Associate

The competition for the 11900K is the 5800X which is widely available. 12 core and 16 core models are not competition for Intel's 8 core "high end".

Soldato
OP
The competition for the 11900K is the 5800X which is widely available. 12 core and 16 core models are not competition for Intel's 8 core "high end".
Nah, that’s the wrong assumption. 11900k is more than £650. From pricing, the direct competition is 5950x. But in reality it is really only going to compete with 5800x in terms of performance.

that’s how poor the rocket lake mid and high end line up is. At least 10th gen Intel has reasonable SKU to compete core to core with zen3.

anyway, low end i5 might be a different story altogether which is what vast majority of people will be looking to purchase and slot into their PC.

Soldato

I disagree. These CPU's are mostly aimed at gamers, where the gaming performance doesn't benefit (in 99.9% of situations) from more than 8 cores.

There's an army of AMD fanatics here that insist that the majority of posters here deploy and host VM's on their personal PC, then when finished for the working day, proceed to render images in blender all night (the situation where Ryzen shines). This is far removed from reality, where the majority play video games designed for children, while having a youtube video/movie on in background while being on discord with buddies.

11900k will likely be priced between a 5900x and a 5950x, though I suspect closer to 5900x price, since these are cheap as chips for Intel to MASS produce on their own 14nm node. They'll sell millions of these :)

Caporegime
I disagree. These CPU's are mostly aimed at gamers, where the gaming performance doesn't benefit (in 99.9% of situations) from more than 8 cores.

There's an army of AMD fanatics here that insist that the majority of posters here deploy and host VM's on their personal PC, then when finished for the working day, proceed to render images in blender all night (the situation where Ryzen shines). This is far removed from reality, where the majority play video games designed for children, while having a youtube video/movie on in background while being on discord with buddies.

11900k will likely be priced between a 5900x and a 5950x, though I suspect closer to 5900x price, since these are cheap as chips for Intel to MASS produce on their own 14nm node. They'll sell millions of these :)

You realise a 5800X has the same core count as a 11900K yes? A 11900k will be priced between a 5900X and a 5950X, but performs around 5800X level. You don't see an issue here at all?

What do you disagree with exactly in that post? You think the 11900K isn't competing with the 5800X? In your fantasy world you'd prefer the 11900K to compete with AMDs big boy chips to justify its price, but you'd like to ignore the core counts (because that makes the 11900K look kind of a turd). Probably better not look at power consumption too, but AVX-512 right?

Last edited:
Associate

Your post makes very little sense. I agree that games don't benefit from more than 8 cores generally so if it is going to be priced around 5900X level then it needs to be much better than AMD's 8 core part to justify the extra cost.

Soldato

Considering the 11900k is $600usd, why would anyone buy it over the 5800x

Soldato
Considering the 11900k is $600usd, why would anyone buy it over the 5800x
I was trying to work this one out myself no doubt dave will give you 101 reasons

Was thinking of getting one before the price came out but from what I've seen I'm not going to bother think I'd rather get the 10850k to mess about with

Associate

Can you quote sources for amount of Intel Chips sent out to retailers, so far i ony seen mention of 11700 been sent out and the quantity was 120. FYI i picked up my 5960X for £749 in early December so they are available. Also 11700 is more expensive then 5800X and 11900 is jst crazy money for 8 cores. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 11900 will struggle to keep up with 5800X or will win by a couple FPS which will not make it worth the premium. One last thing, Intel have hardly been successgul at meeting supply on 14nm made at their own fabs for quite some time now

Soldato
haha the price might be high end the product isnt , come on how can you say its high end when its 8 cores and the competition has 12 and 16 core chips

How can you know this ?

Associate
haha the price might be high end the product isnt , come on how can you say its high end when its 8 cores and the competition has 12 and 16 core chips

How can you know this ?

He read an article where an online retailer sold some 11700, they reportedly had stock level of 120, this si what he classes as "Loads"

Soldato

You might be right about stock availability we will just have to wait and see but please dont say 11900K is better product then the 5900x when the price is close no way in hell is it better LOL

Soldato
I also don't get the paper launch either. They clearly had stock since I've also got a 5950x as have many others since there are plenty posting performance and overclock results.

Further to that I just can't understand the view that the 8 core part shouldn't be competing against the other 8 core part, cost more, use more power and yet still be called a good product by someone.

Soldato
I'm going to order the new 10c or 12c Rocket Lake CPU, that costs less than the 5800x and is faster than it as well, it will also be in stock everywhere from day zero. I am looking forward to receiving it. :D

Soldato
I motion that Dave now gets banned from the CPU section. Simply ignoring him is insufficient as his tripe derails threads to such a degree I get pages of half conversation, totally removing any sense these threads make.

His presence is outright disruptive, with a plethora of veiled insults thrown into the mix. Why is he allowed to continue?

Associate
I motion that Dave now gets banned from the CPU section. Simply ignoring him is insufficient as his tripe derails threads to such a degree I get pages of half conversation, totally removing any sense these threads make.

His presence is outright disruptive, with a plethora of veiled insults thrown into the mix. Why is he allowed to continue?

Yep, definitely ban anyone you disagree with, that's never caused problems in a democractic society. Next you'll be voting for the party that imprisons journalists! lol.

But seriously, as a relative newcomer, Dave seems to chuck the odd grenade in then run off. That's not really great, but it's not really any worse than the playground bullying behaviour I've seen either. Some of you should look at yourselves first imho.

Back
Top Bottom