• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth buying a new Intel CPU right now?

Associate
Hi, Is it worth buying a new Intel CPU right now?

Because I want something that has support for PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 3200.

It seem like I am either going to have to wait for this new Rocket Lake or go with an AMD Ryzan.

What do you think?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi, Is it worth buying a new Intel CPU right now?

Because I want something that has support for PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 3200.

It seem like I am either going to have to wait for this new Rocket Lake or go with an AMD Ryzan.

What do you think?

Thanks
At the moment id wait until the rocket lake is released but its not looking good price wise or performance wise but until its release all we have to judge on is rumours it should be out sometime this month so not long to wait

Soldato
Mmmmmmmmm, 3 posts in 10 years and all 3 about Intel CPU's today.....................................................................................am i smelling yet another Intel deep plant ?

Associate
OP
At the moment id wait until the rocket lake is released but its not looking good price wise or performance wise but until its release all we have to judge on is rumours it should be out sometime this month so not long to wait

HI Alex,

That's what I was thinking too. The price of them might be too high, and it looks like the technology could be limited as well.

So AMD might still have the advantage until the next release of Intel CPUs.

Soldato
HI Alex,

That's what I was thinking too. The price of them might be too high, and it looks like the technology could be limited as well.

So AMD might still have the advantage until the next release of Intel CPUs.
Yeh ive got amd 3700x was going to get 11 series intel but changed my mind unless something changes might get a 10850k instead to play about with

Associate
Yeh ive got amd 3700x was going to get 11 series intel but changed my mind unless something changes might get a 10850k instead to play about with

to close in gen an performance to worry about it

unless your getting a second system that it

Associate
Yes I would say, right now intel actually presents better value if you game, something I didn’t think I would ever say... they have been slashing prices and still have plenty of stock.

this is coming from someone with a 3950x and 5950x

Associate
OP

I'm thinking about making the switch because Intel seem to be lagging behind and I don't want to buy a stop gap overpriced Intel and wait until they release another later in the year.

The AMDs appear to be proven, have support for PCIe 4 and DDR4 3200MHz, and are still able to beat most i9's. So it is a bit of a no brainer if I am going to upgrade right now.

The only downside is they don't have built in graphics on the CPU.

I might get a Ryan 9 but I like the look of your AMD 7, 3700X too.

What is the max memory speed of these AMD CPUs, can I use DDR4 4000?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Yes I would say, right now intel actually presents better value if you game, something I didn’t think I would ever say... they have been slashing prices and still have plenty of stock.

this is coming from someone with a 3950x and 5950x

I don't really play games. I want something that can multi task and support virtual machines running on VM Ware Workstation.

My machine will be a home office / media machine.

Permabanned
AMD is popular for multithreaded workloads and I'm reading plenty of articles on Intel getting beaten by AMD.

But Consider the thermals! Mainly if you are buying an AMD laptop as I think AMD chips run hotter than Intel.

Associate
OP
AMD is popular for multithreaded workloads and I'm reading plenty of articles on Intel getting beaten by AMD.

But Consider the thermals! Mainly if you are buying an AMD laptop as I think AMD chips run hotter than Intel.

I am going to be using it in a desktop and I thought about the that. But the reviews says that the CPUs are not that bad.

Associate
OP
I have just done a huge thing and gone from Intel to AMD.

Here is what I have just ordered.
  • AMD RYZEN 9 3900x Socket AM4 processor with cooler.
  • MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX Motherboard
Total £585.31

Now all I need to do is find some memory. I want 64GB but I can't find anywhere with stock in the UK.

Soldato

Total £585.31

Now all I need to do is find some memory. I want 64GB but I can't find anywhere with stock in the UK.
That should keep you going forva few years

Soldato

Total £585.31

You need graphic card as you say you don't gaming at all. All graphic card are madness expensive and all out of stock.

Associate
OP
That should keep you going forva few years

I hope so.

I just purchased Corsair Vengeance® LPX 64GB (32GB x 2) DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz DIMM Desktop RAM.
  • MD RYZEN 9 3900x Socket AM4 processor with cooler.
  • Corsair Vengeance® LPX 64GB (32GB x 2) DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz DIMM Desktop RAM.
Total upgrade cost £836.41

Associate
OP
You need graphic card as you say you don't gaming at all. All graphic card are madness expensive and all out of stock.

Hi, I already have a HD Graphics card that I can install, or I can just buy another cheap HD one.

I dont do any gaming and I only need an HD card.

Soldato
I hope so.

I just purchased Corsair Vengeance® LPX 64GB (32GB x 2) DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz DIMM Desktop RAM.
  • Corsair Vengeance® LPX 64GB (32GB x 2) DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz DIMM Desktop RAM.
That will keep you out of trouble and will be a nice upgrade and should make light work of what you throw at it

Soldato

But why 64GB memory ram as it waste of money as 16GB ram are more than enough for these day for next five years. Memory ram never used all 16GB in desktop pc

Back
Top Bottom