• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia resists guarantee for ARM head count

Soldato
The problem here is that Softbank never intended to genuinely take ARM forward. The fact that they still havn't increased the employee count to the legally binding amount says loads.
Softbank promised the earth and delivered nothing, now want to offload and make a few bob. Nvidia, promise nothing but expect to walk away with the crown jewels.
NO NO NO...........................the government should just stop this NOW.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely. The Chinese are dead against it.

Uk government should just grow a pair and list ARM as a national priority company or whatever so.

even the guy who started it thinks it is a bad idea. The only people wanted it are the shareholders looking for a quick buck.

Man of Honour
I think nVidia would be a good partner for ARM but the whole way this is going just sits wrong with me and we definitely should be protecting and investing in ARM as a nation.

Soldato
I think nVidia would be a good partner for ARM but the whole way this is going just sits wrong with me and we definitely should be protecting and investing in ARM as a nation.

Nvidia would never be a good partner for ARM. Nvidia are now so big and so greedy they are in full asset strip mode, if you don't see that then you are a fool. Unfortunately the UK is run by a very large bunch of fools at the moment...................so this could could go any way. I actually feel that this needs the intervention of ALL the security services to make it clear to government just how important this is and stop it dead now.

Man of Honour
Nvidia would never be a good partner for ARM. Nvidia are now so big and so greedy they are in full asset strip mode, if you don't see that then you are a fool. Unfortunately the UK is run by a very large bunch of fools at the moment...................so this could could go any way. I actually feel that this needs the intervention of ALL the security services to make it clear to government just how important this is and stop it dead now.

Hence why I'm talking partnership not controlling interest/acquisition.

Soldato
Hence why I'm talking partnership not controlling interest/acquisition.

You know as well as i do Nvidia's interest in ARM is no partnership at all. It's a pure asset strip and IP control and transfer exercise. That's why it needs the backing of all arms of the security services to stop it.
Can you imagine the reaction in the USA if some Chinese company tried puling the same stunt on Intel ? Now that on it's own would make the Dems and Repubs cosy up to each other within seconds. Why should it be any different here ?

Soldato
OP
The Americans are now treating chip manufacturing as national security industry. So I think Uk and Europe will be the last ones holding our cocks when the Chinese and the Americans have stripped all of our national treasures ie technology and innovation in this century.

Man of Honour
You know as well as i do Nvidia's interest in ARM is no partnership at all. It's a pure asset strip and IP control and transfer exercise. That's why it needs the backing of all arms of the security services to stop it.
Can you imagine the reaction in the USA if some Chinese company tried puling the same stunt on Intel ? Now that on it's own would make the Dems and Repubs cosy up to each other within seconds. Why should it be any different here ?

I'm talking in a far more abstract manner than you are. nVidia continues to innovate and invest areas of technology that aren't sure fire successes unlike a lot of companies that have become stagnant when it comes to pushing the envelope.

Caporegime
The problem is we have spent the last two decades selling off our national industries to ANYONE willing to buy them, with politicians pushing this through no doubt getting two stacks for their troubles.

I hate it, i hate the way the country is and has been for sale because the grubby little #### we keep electing think of nothing but lining their own pockets with our nations future.

ARM should never have been for sale in the first place.

Soldato
The government should be stepping in and list ARM back on the LSE through an IPO. Selling it to Softbank was a huge mistake, selling it to Nvidia is another one.

Caporegime
It's unreasonable for a company to be expected to guarantee x amount of jobs when the government has shown in recent months that it's more than willing to shut down businesses at any time. If the UK keeps locking down then it would make sense for a business to move to a US state or country like Sweden who don't.

Soldato
It's unreasonable for a company to be expected to guarantee x amount of jobs when the government has shown in recent months that it's more than willing to shut down businesses at any time. If the UK keeps locking down then it would make sense for a business to move to a US state or country like Sweden who don't.

Nvidia and ARM don't have any retail employees and these lockdowns won't affect them at all.

Soldato
OP
The government should be stepping in and list ARM back on the LSE through an IPO. Selling it to Softbank was a huge mistake, selling it to Nvidia is another one.
isnt listing it just make it even easier for people to take over (aggresive take over)?

edit...nvidia is buying ARM with their common shares to softbank.

Back
Top Bottom