Which was better Xbox or PS2 and why ?

Soldato
I you option which was better Xbox or PS2 and why ?

I know its a bit random when everyone is talking about PS5 and whatever confusing name the new xbox is called.

for me it was the xbox I loved mine, Built in Hdd, I thought the controller was better graphics was slightly better and with some mods it could do a lot more some things we only recently started seeing as standard.

The only down side was the exclusive games which the ps2 had a lot more.

Man of Honour
Xbox was significantly better as a system with better network play, hard drive, and overall performance.

PS2 has much better games.

Soldato
In that generation the Xbox had it for me. I preferred the controller, and loved the available games.

Was the only generation that I cheated on Sony :p

Soldato
Never used an OG Xbox, but the PS2 was the better platform for gamers. Maybe not technically or to develop for, but the library of games was epic.

For me, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360, then the consoles became pretty much the same thing with a big exclusive once every 2/3 years.

Soldato
PS2 from gaming perspective but Xbox had better hardware design and network play

But it's about games and ps2 had far better ones imo

Soldato
Xbox was the better hardware (except controller, though the revision was a significant improvement) and network play.
PS2 had a far better library of games, and controller.

Soldato
The original xbox had online multiplayer which I think the PS2 didn't until later.

I remember many hours played on Moto GP online :)

Soldato
I had a PS1, played it to death then bought a PS2 on launch. Loved it. Bought an OG xbox from a guy at work with a load of games for 100 quid and never really used it other than to do the Halo campaign. Was a straight up Sony fanboy. Moved into my own (first) house and ran a load of cat 5 cables under the floor boards before I decorated. Obviously no wifi back then. I had the network adapter for the PS2 with a couple of games including SOCOM and FIFA. Was always a bit iffy, sometimes worked, sometimes not. Interface was clunky and was hard to figure out if it actually worked or not. Was very hit and miss. I had never really played much online gaming before that other than Unreal Tournament and Ultima Online on my vastly under-powered PC with a 56k modem so I was used to online gaming frustration.

Was talking to a mate about it one night in the pub and he asked what I had for my Xbox, told him I had a few including Rainbow 6 and he asked if I had tried it online. Nope. Went home and plugged it in and the machine just came to life, downloaded the new dashboard and it connected itself automatically and before I knew it I was on a Rainbow 6 terrorist hunt, voice chatting with my best mate a couple of miles away and a couple of lads from Hull. Was hooked from then on, I hadn't had as much fun since 4 player split screen Golden Eye years before. I don't think I used the PS2 again after that. The Xbox just felt light years ahead. Bought a 360 on launch day.
Fast forward a few years and I bought a Sony 3D TV, came with a free PS3. Used it for watching 3D movies and played a couple of 3D games but it never grabbed me. Played a few games online but still found the interface to be not as intuitive as the Xbox. Sold it not long after realising 3D TV was never going to be what it was touted to be.
Got the One, then the One X Project Scorpio both on respective launch days. Picked up a used PS4 with the VR kit during lockdown here (May / June) primarily to play GTA with a mate. Played a lot of it but again, I find the xbox store, the online interface, tracking and finding friends, jumping into friends games etc to be far, far better and easier on the Xbox. PS4 menus etc seem years behind by comparison. That's before you take into account gamepass and the phone app.
Have always preferred the xbox controller too. Got a series X now upstairs and a One X in my living room, running the One on a QLED Frame TV and series X on an LG OLED.
Not tried a PS5, will likely pick one up in the next year or so as the exclusives are better. Not in any hurry though.

Soldato
The PS2 hands down, I'd even take the Gamecube over the Xbox.

A console is only as good as its games library, and the Xbox didn't do much to impress me outside of Halo and Jade Empire (all of which ended up on the PC anyway).

I'm a big JRPG fan, so the PS2 was by far the best single player experience for me. For multiplayer I was either on my PC or on a couch, and if I was on a couch I was playing Mario Kart Double Dash or Smash.

Soldato
Xbox for me the Duke was fantastic and the sticks worked better for me having a knackered left thumb. Halo was stunning at the time too. Still have one of my original Xboxes that I fire up now and again...

Associate
Halo Box all the way. While i played the 90's FPS games online on PC, nothing compared to Halo 2 for me. Link ups and online play messing about in custom games, nothing could compare, and still doesn't when you bring H3 and the 360 into the mix. Apparently it played other games and could be used as a HTPC too, but i just Halo'd.

PS2 had a decent library but it just felt like PS1 with better graphics. GTA 3 was impressive but was never interested in it besides blowing up stuff. Medal of Honour was memorable too. PS1 brought so much to the table, so i feel PS2 is pale in comparison.

Soldato
As most people have said, the PS2 had a better selection of games. Not a single one impressed me as much as Halo. Up there with Golden Eye and Half Life as in mind totally blown by what fps can do.

Associate
Has to be Xbox for me.

I was a total PlayStation boy and remember taking the Mick out of my M8 for getting a ****box as I called it at the time!

Once I tried it though, Halo mainly was on another level, I was properly converted. Xbox Lan parties so no split screen!!

PlayStation has been second best ever since

Soldato
Never got into Halo. I played it up until the little crabs (was it the flood?) That ruined it and I never touched it again. Then again I wasn't a fan of fps on a console either so that didn't help.
KOTOR was amazing though, even though I can't recall anything from it. I don't recall thinking the graphics were much better than ps2 either but they probably were.

Back
Top Bottom