Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
youtubes probably the worst place to learn.

if you don't want to read a book then dedicate a week to learn about how the stock market works and how to properly analyse a stock and a company.

Never trust someone elses DD to be good, especially if it's on youtube/social media, always do your own.

Then books aren't going to help either. At least with Youtube he can see multiple different people approaching DD for a massive variety of stocks. YT or video in general is probably better for most things that require detailed explanations. Plus the big platforms all have videos on there too so you can learn how the specific platform works.

That being said, Naked Trader is a decent read, I found it more for entertainment rather than real trading information.

Is it just me or are there very few interesting UK companies? I only invest in the US but it saddens me since I am British.

Where are our exciting exciting tech companies? It just seems our economy is so stale, stuck in it's old way and not forward thinking. Insurance or services are not exciting.

Well just look at the people in this thread to see general UK attitudes towards risk and investing, then you get an idea as to why UK and European shares tend to be perceived as 'boring'

the only UK tech I'm in at the moment is Blue Prism and Keyword Studios.

Caporegime
Is it just me or are there very few interesting UK companies? I only invest in the US but it saddens me since I am British.

Where are our exciting exciting tech companies? It just seems our economy is so stale, stuck in it's old way and not forward thinking. Insurance or services are not exciting.
there's a few small semi conductor companies, a bunch of aerospace/defence companies, a couple of software companies and all the usual boomer stocks.

I hold 27 individual stocks.

7 London stocks, 3 German, 2 Swiss and the rest American.

finding good American stocks is super easy.

I jumped on a few of the spacs that were near nav as well the exciting sounding ones like like VACQ
(probably will dip back down before it actually happens like most spacs)

also if you look at their presentation they aren't going to be making real money any time soon
https://www.rocketlabusa.com/assets/Project-Prestige-Investor-Presentation.pdf
I'm just in for the ride

seems like space stonks are becoming the next weed stonks... there must be like 7 space related spacs by now

Last edited:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Another share I’ve been accumulating in the quiet since it crashed from 250p is Loopup (LOOP.L). Stuck a final slug in the ISA this morning. Averaging about 78p.

Won lots of business in the legal and other sectors and well placed to benefit from ‘the new norm’ of more working from home.

Debt has been paid down significantly over the last year or so and it’s very very cheap compared to its peers.

Hoping for 100% growth from here. DYOR.

Was expecting more from CBX this morning. Wonder if those massive trades were delayed sells from earlier on?
Didn’t take a position in the end.

Soldato
Hyve has taken a hammering the last week, people finally realised it isn't all rosey for the future. Missed my chance to get out at around 1.4X. Now whether to hold a little more OR take profit and run :)

Soldato
Another share I’ve been accumulating in the quiet since it crashed from 250p is Loopup (LOOP.L). Stuck a final slug in the ISA this morning. Averaging about 78p.

Won lots of business in the legal and other sectors and well placed to benefit from ‘the new norm’ of more working from home.

Debt has been paid down significantly over the last year or so and it’s very very cheap compared to its peers.

Hoping for 100% growth from here. DYOR.

Was expecting more from CBX this morning. Wonder if those massive trades were delayed sells from earlier on?
Didn’t take a position in the end.

Had a look into this. Not sure I fancy investing in a startup trying to compete with Teams when essentially the entire corporate world is already in the Microsoft ecosystem?

Although digging further, it seems that they're essentially a Microsoft value-add consultancy services firm, rather than selling a product. Probably a sound business, but not going to take over the world.

Soldato
Has anyone invested in a startup/fundraiser on platforms such as Crowdcube? A business local to me is fundraising next week and I'll be looking at it if it's an EIS or SEIS, though I've not invested through either of these before. Any advice or experiences to share?

Not the stockmarket I'm aware, but fairly on-topic based on past conversations and the fundamentals of what you're doing (investing in a company).

Soldato
Has anyone invested in a startup/fundraiser on platforms such as Crowdcube? A business local to me is fundraising next week and I'll be looking at it if it's an EIS or SEIS, though I've not invested through either of these before. Any advice or experiences to share?

Not the stockmarket I'm aware, but fairly on-topic based on past conversations and the fundamentals of what you're doing (investing in a company).

I have, although generally small amount (£50-£100), mainly Curve and MoneyDashboard. Neither were EIS though so can't really offer much assistance on those.

Caporegime
Hyve has taken a hammering the last week, people finally realised it isn't all rosey for the future. Missed my chance to get out at around 1.4X. Now whether to hold a little more OR take profit and run :)
the airlines will be next look at IAG they lost something like 6 billion € in 2020, this year they surely lose another 3-5billion.

airlines won't be profitable for probably a few years and will have mountains of debt

most people investing in airlines seems to think summer comes and 90% of an airlines old routes are suddenly running at 90% of the old capacity.
it's not going to happen

I'm still viewing oil companies at the best recovery stocks, switching to green, oil prices are rising slowly and people think oil is bad so won't look at them.

the oil companies will bully the hell out of all these green energy companies with the amount of cash they can fling around when it comes to buying up green energy projects or getting backing to make new ones.

I noticed BP were almost pulling out of some middle east country selling some of there assets but made sure they still have like a token project there for if they need to get in contact with the gov for future projects.

BTW I randomly stumbled across some tiny youtubers videos yesterday and he is the first one I looked at that will actually say a companies crap and does proper financial analysis
annoying voice though sounds possibly autistic with his tone but atleast seems to know what hes doing unlike the majority of youtubers
how many youtubers mentioned SNDL had issued over a billion shares in 4 months? probably 0 they all knew it if they did DD as well
might be interesting for anyone trying to learn

He covered CTRM and the other crappy shipping stocks that make money from their investors too.

so many idiots in discords and on reddit were buying these stocks lol... utter morons

Last edited:
Soldato
the airlines will be next look at IAG they lost something like 6 billion € in 2020, this year they surely lose another 3-5billion.

airlines won't be profitable for probably a few years and will have mountains of debt

most people investing in airlines seems to think summer comes and 90% of an airlines old routes are suddenly running at 90% of the old capacity.
it's not going to happen

You don't buy a stock for the state of the company right now, you buy it for it's future prospects. Airline stocks are heavily depressed, interest rates are zero, money supply is high, asset inflation is here. Brands like British Airways will be protected by the government, by hook or by crook. They are best placed to come out on top once the dust settles in the coming years.

I'd much rather have my money in depressed airline stocks, than grossly inflated tech stock. Downside potential for airlines is pretty minimal, since they're in the toilet already.

Caporegime
I also have backed airlines.
As said. The future of airlines is fairly secure. Some might fail. But right now recovery is being rapidly priced in.

I'm avoiding bp etc I just don't know if they will diversify or are getting left behind.

Really. A lot of recovery from covid hit stocks seems priced in so not resure if anything right now excites me

Also not keen on tesla, nio etc. So many electric cars right now. I was considering one and tesla for exam wasn't even a contender.
I know tesla have other projects. But for me it's over valued

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Had a look into this. Not sure I fancy investing in a startup trying to compete with Teams when essentially the entire corporate world is already in the Microsoft ecosystem?

Although digging further, it seems that they're essentially a Microsoft value-add consultancy services firm, rather than selling a product. Probably a sound business, but not going to take over the world.
Correct they are value-add for Teams. Doesn’t need to take over the world (it’s never going to be Zoom) but it solves a problem for certain types of firm and is very cheap when looking at its fundamentals.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You don't buy a stock for the state of the company right now, you buy it for it's future prospects. Airline stocks are heavily depressed, interest rates are zero, money supply is high, asset inflation is here. Brands like British Airways will be protected by the government, by hook or by crook. They are best placed to come out on top once the dust settles in the coming years.

I'd much rather have my money in depressed airline stocks, than grossly inflated tech stock. Downside potential for airlines is pretty minimal, since they're in the toilet already.
yea I'm not saying they are a bad investment but people seem to think their revenues and profits will almost instantly recover and invest in them for short term gains when it should really be the opposite imo

Soldato
yea I'm not saying they are a bad investment but people seem to think their revenues and profits will almost instantly recover and invest in them for short term gains when it should really be the opposite imo

IAG is up 36% in a month. Those are some excellent short term gains in anybody's book.

Soldato
Since when has the stock market been based on revenues and profit lol

Back
Top Bottom