Valheim

Soldato
The only thing that's killed me so far is the mosquito's :p. Some of the bosses take a while to take down due to their health pool but I find their mechanics simple enough to beat. I'm currently hunting for the 4th boss. Got a full set of wolf armour now :). Still really enjoying this solo and I like the fact my missus can jump in whenever she wants. Great game and really enjoy the character progression. I'd like to see the skill tree worked on, if they could make it a bit more in depth (almost a simpler version of skyrim) then that would be awesome. However for an EA game still extremely impressed overall.

Once I've defeated all the bosses will be interesting to see what there is to work towrds.
How far did you have to travel to find the plains? Much further from the swamps? Im tempted to venture abit further out tonight to see if i can find the plains and start mining some black metal from Fulings.

Soldato
No I first accidentally stumbled upon the plains whilst walking around the edge of a swamp. Each world is procedurally generated, so it could be close or it could be miles away. I’ve had to travel a long way to find mountains for example.
Fair do's i thought maybe that swamps and plains were usually fairly close together or had some relevance together regardless of the randomly generated maps. Just like how you won't find a swamp on the starting island as its fixed that way.

Will venture out tonight and see what i can find, thinking whether to max out iron armor level first though...

Associate
Ive been playing this game over a week now and its fairly addictive. I have a dedicated server for myself and a couple of friends which is great because we can all play the same game together even when some of us are offline. I just love this game.

Associate
Excellent game for what it offers. The procedural map generation they're using is pretty good with diverse landscape in every unique map. Sea travel is fun (as far as I've watched), boss fight too. Not surprising they've sold over 4 millions copies and got 96% positive reviews on Steam.

Caporegime
Just to check, what steam launch parameters are people using for this? Got no problems with the performance and gsync feels super smooth (3440x1440) but MSI AB OSD isn't working

-window-mode exclusive -screen-fullscreen -force-vulkan

Soldato
Had my first experience yesterday of dying in the middle of nowhere. 500 silver ore on a boat heading back to the main base and we got attacked by 2 serpents. Made it to shore but it was the plains and I got killed by a deathsquito.
  1. I'm glad I had a character backup
  2. Considering amending Valheim+ to allow portal use with ore (not done it yet)
Wut?

It's incredibly boring, and seems to have been designed to induce motion sickness. I have never got motion sickness from video games before but this manages to get me feeling queasy.

Love the game, but sailing really needs work.

Which is coming! they've updated the roadmap with possible boat upgrade/mods.

Just to check, what steam launch parameters are people using for this? Got no problems with the performance and gsync feels super smooth (3440x1440) but MSI AB OSD isn't working

I stopped using it as it was worse than non-vulkan but when I used it, I just used '-force-vulkan'.

I'm also finding the game is absolutely hammering my GPU, to the point I've had to limit the frames to 70 in order to keep temps down.

Associate
Always make sure you have an iron shield and no deathsquito will ever kill you again. They are so weak and their only advantage is their erratic flying. When I am in the plains I have my shield out at all times. When they hit the shield they hover for a couple of seconds right at the shield and are easily dispatched.

The sea does not bother me at all and is actually quite fun and done well. My only complaint is the ships could be faster.

I spent around 2-3 hours just sailing around at the start of my game (after building a small base on the starter island) looking for a good island to live on. It was boring, and took a long time but I finally found a huge island that has nearly all of the biomes on it. 4+ plains, 4 swamps, 2 mountains, 2 meadow, 3 mists, and 4+ black forests. The island is HUGE and spans from the center of world to almost the top. Sailing around it takes over an hour.

Two things I would like to see are: the ability to portal with metals and a mule for my cart. I get the portal would make the game easier but as it is it can be tedious to do all the traveling. What I did was make a decent sized outpost in the largest swamp on my island and I can run my kiln and smelt right there. This allows me to do the majority of my crafting there as well. I also make roads between all of my bases which allow me to pull the cart smoothly and quickly back and forth. A mule or donkey would be nice though.

Associate
Yeah you can do that but its lame. That is the reason I think they should allow TP with metals as people just log with it and move metal that way. I have tried this but I think it takes away from the game and prefer to not do it.

Soldato
Anyone having FPS issues since today's update? GPU usage has gone from 100% to mid 50's and FPS has tanked..

Back
Top Bottom