F1 2021 Car Launches

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The dimensions of modern F1 cars are just.... awful, they're like stretch limousines.

Can't help but think that they'd be great fun hotlapping on the larger of the US ovals. Bugger all use racing them, aero push would be waaaaay too much. But they'd make incredibly stable cars on speedways and super speedways (anything larger than Phoenix, probably).

Soldato
Why are we back in the era of poncey launches? I thought this crap ended with the era of austerity in 2009? Now we've got Alfa wasting time with pianos and interpretive dance.

Just take a sheet of the damn red and white car in the pitlane at Barcelona FFS.

Man of Honour
Random thought about car launches - I wish they weren't so polished. Of course, I appreciate that this is a big dollar industry, with a high emphasis on glamour and professionalism - but what I wouldn't give to see the latest Mercedes in bare carbon bodywork running on test rims with temporary bits taped to it.

This is how you launch a race car :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGgVVNrhtI

Soldato
Why are we back in the era of poncey launches? I thought this crap ended with the era of austerity in 2009? Now we've got Alfa wasting time with pianos and interpretive dance.

Just take a sheet of the damn red and white car in the pitlane at Barcelona FFS.

Inspector Clouseau and Cato standing in front of the Alpha Tauri is a particular low point for the "Launch Du Ponce".

Soldato
Really could have done with a new paint job only car so far that looks exactly the same as last year.
It might not be the same at start of the season. McLaren's launch car wasn't even the same as the one that hit the track the following morning.

Red Bull aren't going to change their livery for anything other than testing, as they sometimes do (they have a "shakedown" range of clothes in their shop).

It's their brand livery. Experimental and different liveries went to Toro Rosso, and it seems are carrying on with Alpha Tauri.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

8 minutes time

It might not be the same at start of the season. McLaren's launch car wasn't even the same as the one that hit the track the following morning.

Red Bull aren't going to change their livery for anything other than testing, as they sometimes do (they have a "shakedown" range of clothes in their shop).

It's their brand livery. Experimental and different liveries went to Toro Rosso, and it seems are carrying on with Alpha Tauri.

I do wish they stuck with some of their camouflage testing liveries throughout the season as they always look amazing but it's probably a sponsors worst nightmare

Soldato
As mentioned on the live stream - all of the visual innovation is being held back until they need to show it at the first race.

Soldato
The black areas look more refined and work well, but the larger Ineos logos and as mentioned the AMG plastering doesn't work (and the AMG logo on the survival cell is a bit big). It's not as bad as expected from the preview shown yesterday or Bottas's selfie this morning though.

Soldato
Credit to the BBC for going with the headline "Mercedes unveil Lewis Hamilton's 2021 Formula 1 car" and then going with a picture of Bottas' 77 car :p

Back
Top Bottom