A1708 MBP Data Recovery

Soldato
Spent a while googling furiously and nothing came to light - thought I'd ask in case anyone has any ideas or if I've missed anything!

Trying to get data off an SSD from a 2017 MBP A1708 - the drive is removable but non-standard connector obviously. All the adapters I can find just seem to be to convert the slot to accept a standard NVMe rather than make the SSD available on a standard interface.

Does this exist or is the only way to get another MBP and swap the drives over to access the data? (assuming it's not encrypted).

Cheers

Commissario
I can't specifically answer that but is there an associated iCloud account with the user account? If so, the entire Documents folder should be stored in the cloud. I'm assuming the MBP has failed and the owner doesn't have a Time Machine backup?

Soldato
...or is the only way to get another MBP and swap the drives over to access the data? (assuming it's not encrypted).

As you say, if it isn't encrypted then transferring it to another system is the only real option and it's what a lot of (Apple) data recovery companies will do.

What's the state of the existing MBP? As target mode might be an option.

Are you sure it's a 2017 model (fairly sure they don't have removeable drives)

Non-touchbar 13" Late 2016/Mid 2017 both supported Apple's removal SSD from memory. Touchbar variants had the "SSD" on the logic board.

Soldato
OP
What condition is the Mac in? Are you sure it's a 2017 model (fairly sure they don't have removeable drives)

Its in good condition cosmetically but doesn't power on at all. It's the non-touchbar model so has removable SSD like @visibleman mentioned.

As you say, if it isn't encrypted then transferring it to another system is the only real option and it's what a lot of (Apple) data recovery companies will do.

What's the state of the existing MBP? As target mode might be an option.

Non-touchbar 13" Late 2016/Mid 2017 both supported Apple's removal SSD from memory. Touchbar variants had the "SSD" on the logic board.

As it's not powering on at all I don't think target mode will help either.

From what I understand, it stopped working on battery first (only turned on when plugged in), then eventually stopped turning on altogether even when plugged in.

Commissario
This may be obvious but have you tried a PRAM reset? Hold down cmd-option-p-r as the computer is switched on and (if it starts), hold them down for a couple of reboot cycles. I've known that to fix power issues before.

Soldato
Commissario
Oh that's great news, I'm glad it's sorted.

iCloud subscription isn't expensive, it's 79p a month for the 50Gb plan and although it's not an actual backup, it is a copy of the documents folder in the cloud.

Time Machine though. Get that sorted out, that's a simple click and forget thing.

Back
Top Bottom