***The Official Guitar Thread***

Dup

Dup

Soldato
If you just want some amp/cab simulation for free I can recommend Tonebridge. Unfortunately I'm not sure if its on Windows I have it on my MacBook but it ran well and you could get preset tones from the community to emulate your fave songs etc. Simple plug and play setup with my Focusrite.

You could also try trials of Amplitude or BiasFX which definitely run on Windows.

Associate
Can anybody who is better versed in this stuff recommend me a decent (ideally free, but I could be persuaded) software side of a setup for recording? I'm currently unable to play through my amp properly (had a baby, gotta keep noise down) and so I'd been using the headphone-out on my Trio+ for some silent playing. But it sounds a bit crap and I would have thought I have the hardware to do something better only I have no idea what to do software wise!

I have a Focusrite Audio Scarlett interface (6i6) which I originally bought when the wife and I were mucking around with Youtube/Twitch but since that never went anywhere I now just use it to drive my microphone for gaming/chatting etc. But I have it hooked up to the line-out from my amp's attenuator which can drop the speaker volume down to zero, and also to the line-out of my wife's bass cab. So I have feeds of both bass and guitar going into the interface. I'm just not sure what to do after that? I'm aware it's meant to be possible to get some good plugins for DAWs and stuff that simulate cabs and other stuff but not really sure where to start... Any tips?

I use a 6i6 (2nd Generation) for practicing on my bass guitar. If I want to record, I use Reaper as the DAW
https://www.reaper.fm/

It's not free but at 60 USD for a non-commercial licence, it's a steal. You get a free fully functional 60 day evaluation period, after which it still has full functionality but with reminders to register. The 6i6 also comes with a free copy of Ableton Lite which is a perfectly adequate recording solution for most peoples' needs

Soldato
Cheers for the tips! Amp/Cab sim and recording are the main things I want as the signal is already going through my entire effects board and amp and so I've no problem getting the base tone that I want for different songs etc.

Recording as I think it'd be quite fun to try recording some songs I can play on both bass + guitar, and then I'd essentially have my own backing tracks to mess around with. I already do looping stuff with the Trio+ but that's just the guitar and I don't have control over the basslines it generates

I have Reaper already installed from a project long ago, it'll be well past its trial but I could consider paying for it. If I use Reaper can I somehow put Amp/Cab sim stuff into it? Or does that need to be done outside of it somehow?

Associate
I have Reaper already installed from a project long ago, it'll be well past its trial but I could consider paying for it. If I use Reaper can I somehow put Amp/Cab sim stuff into it? Or does that need to be done outside of it somehow?

I have Amplitube running as a plugin inside Reaper which lets me select from a variety of amp/cab/mic sims. I would think any vst plugin should work.

Soldato
start with audacity which is completely free, but a little bit clunky to use, and limited compared to paid ones (or at least it was last time I tried it, it may have progrssed)

any light versions of cubase, ableton, protools (less good than it used to be I heard recently) presonus etc. Did a code not come with your interface? they ussually have one bundled in.

Google DAW software for more info.

Soldato
It might have done but I may not have spotted it and threw it away

I'm happy with Audacity in principle but unless I'm missing something it doesn't give you access to all of the inputs like a proper DAW would. I can get input 1 mono or inputs 1 + 2 stereo and that's it with Audacity, so I think I need something a bit more advanced to do what I'm trying to do (I don't want to use input 1 for my guitar because that's how I use it as my mic for gaming etc. and Windows, like Audacity can only use input 1 as the mic device for discord etc.)

Man of Honour
I have a Focusrite Audio Scarlett interface (6i6)

Have a look at your box it came in or go on the Focusrite page and you may have access to free cut down DAWs (Pro Tools and Cubase to name 2).
I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (3rd Gen) last year and it comes with loads of stuff to download.
I've been using Cakewalk since the early 90s so Sonar is my choice of DAW.

Soldato
More than happy to pay £50 for it assuming I can get it doing what I want... I never really tried using it for my electrics etc. in this way (I installed it just to quickly track some classical/acoustic guitar for my own wedding lol!)

Soldato
I bought a yamaha trh10ii and it was delivered saturday morning. I’ve been messing about with it over the weekend and have hd several “firmware update needed” messages on the ios app. So last night i decided to do it, oh how i wish i hadn’t. The amp is now stuck in update mode and there is seemingly no way out of it.

after reading the yamaha website it appears i shouldn’t of updated it. Yamaha have put a small white sticker on the bottom of the amp and this means you shouldn’t update it. Ok, so why is the app and the windows software telling me to update it?

When my iOS software is up to date and i go to "search for updates" it tells me it is up to date and doesn't try to install it again. Take note Yamaha :rolleyes:.

update: spoke to yamaha, did some basic troubleshooting but not no luck, they said to call Andertons(retailer) and see if they will send out a new one if not it will go to the service center. Andertons are sending a new one out today and the courier will collect my one. That is excellent customer service, very pleased.

Last edited:
Soldato
My son is looking to learn to play the guitar, can anyone point me in the right direction for some learning resources please? We'll hopefully be getting him some one to one lessons when we're allowed to, but just looking at anything we can until then.

His grandad has bought him a cheap acoustic guitar, and an older electric guitar with a mini amp, we just need to help him play them before he drives us mad! :D

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I am not a man-crush kinda guy; way too tightly strung for that kind of thing, so my top E just wouldn't take the strain. But if this guy was to ditch the hat and get a haircut...
He has disturbingly long fingers but it is nice to see someone noodling at a slow tempo the internet seems to be full of 5000 mile an hour widdle diddle stuff which is impressive just not very relaxing!

Soldato
He has disturbingly long fingers but it is nice to see someone noodling at a slow tempo the internet seems to be full of 5000 mile an hour widdle diddle stuff which is impressive just not very relaxing!

You need both imho... that's what makes a real epic solo. Slash is a bit of a master at this - having some more deliberate and longer melodic lines which eventually build or follow into something much flashier and faster (e.g. Sweet Child solo is a good example)

Soldato
You need both imho... that's what makes a real epic solo. Slash is a bit of a master at this - having some more deliberate and longer melodic lines which eventually build or follow into something much flashier and faster (e.g. Sweet Child solo is a good example)
I'd agree, there is so much on youtube and the likes that is just willy waving about how fast someone can navigate the fret board and while it is incredibly impressive it is more akin to a computer game for me. I'd much rather listen to someone play something simple that sounds great and like most things with music you need the light and shade be it in the form of loud v's quiet or fast v's slow or a combination.

Back
Top Bottom