2011 Audi A3 E Sport TDCi any good?

Soldato
OP
Out of curiosity it says on auto trader the 1.9 TDI does 74mpg on motorways, is this people's experiences?

Obviously I'm a low earner where real cost is key, not so much potential cost if things go wrong. There might be a pandemic next week etc. Oh...

Ideally I'd like a reliable car with low tax and decent economy with low to mid servicing. I have the ability to service most areas of a service I.e. basic servicing, brakes, and things like stereo etc, but lack the space to do suspension and major work like clutch etc.

I am open to suggestions, the reason why I was asking about 2009 A3 is because it was available and I have zero experience. It's nice to see some good experiences, and people at work have them and rate them.

I understand about Honda's etc because I have races Honda's for years and their reliability it world known.

Initially I was thinking 1.4/1.6 diesel Fiesta 2007-2009. 1.6 because it's likely to be less thrashed.

Soldato
Out of curiosity it says on auto trader the 1.9 TDI does 74mpg on motorways, is this people's experiences?

This is based on NEDC testing and 'extra urban' is not 'motorway'. It won't average 74mpg anywhere without a lot of effort to drive economically, I doubt even then you'd best 60mpg long term.

Soldato
OP
What sort of journeys do you make? If it's mostly short journeys then a diesel isn't a good choice.

As above it will be a TDI, and fairly sure it will just be a "Sport" rather than an "E Sport" as that doesn't exist.

"Tax" (VED) shouldn't come into your decision unless it's one of the really excessive bands L or M (£565/£580), equally differences in fuel economy aren't hugely important unless you are doing 20000 miles a year, or looking at things like performance cars or big SUV type vehicles.

No disrespect but it doesn't sound like you are much of a "car person", so personally I think a better recommendation would be something like a Ford Focus, or a Honda Civic.

That's a fair point, I'm not really a car person past a Ford as it's always been cheap and cheerful with self servicing etc. I'm more motorbikes.

I'm open to suggestions but it's finding something locally.

Soldato
OP
This is based on NEDC testing and 'extra urban' is not 'motorway'. It won't average 74mpg anywhere without a lot of effort to drive economically, I doubt even then you'd best 60mpg long term.

Fair point. I make the 42mpg it says my 1.4 focus should do for all driving, so 62 for an A3 should be realistic. On a longer run it'd obviously be better. Thanks for the reply.

Soldato
Fuelly only has 1 2009 1.9TDI A3, but its data covers 40 fill ups over 15k+ miles. Average consumption is 39.6mpg. Anything over 45mpg in daily use for a VAG TDI is absolute dream land.

£2.1k seems to be a little over market price for the car given its miles, however to me it's way overpriced for what's essentially a 10 year old Golf with a poor engine.

Soldato
I get 42mpg out of a 20 yr old Focus which is book for mixed driving on auto trader. Please explain why I wouldn't get 60+ out of a diesel half the age?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're coming across as wanting to justify the car no matter what the truth is. You're not getting 60mpg average out of a 1.9 A3. I get about 60ish out of a 3 year old 2.0 TDI Ultra A4 when doing a long enough motorway journey. That's driving extremely efficiently by not exceeding 70mph and changing gear at the lowest possible revs, no heated seats etc.

My average is certainly lower than 60 (between 40 and 50 without checking) and majority of the car's usage is motorway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're coming across as wanting to justify the car no matter what the truth is. You're not getting 60mpg average out of a 1.9 A3. I get about 60ish out of a 3 year old 2.0 TDI Ultra A4 when doing a long enough motorway journey. That's driving extremely efficiently by not exceeding 70mph and changing gear at the lowest possible revs, no heated seats etc.

My average is certainly lower than 60 (between 40 and 50 without checking) and majority of the car's usage is motorway.

It's not my intention to come across as ignorant but if something is not as written on a trusted site and my experience is different, I inquire as to what they think is wrong?

I researched the prices after someone said £2100 is too much and the cheapest I could find was £2700.

If I don't understand why, I ask that's all. I take opinions on board but without hard evidence such as real world experience I struggle as it's opinion unfortunately.

FWIW £3k is the cheapest 1.6 TDCi Fiesta I could find too.

Your experience with your A4 I will certainly take on board as it is similar to what I'm after so thank you.

Caporegime
A 12 year old diesel Audi? I don't think even @Acme would do that.

Buy a Suzuki Alto / Toyota Yaris / Nissan Micra for £lol and use the leftover money for other more important stuff.

You could probably buy a whole Suzuki for the price of a clutch on that Audi.

Soldato
OP
A 12 year old diesel Audi? I don't think even @Acme would do that.

Buy a Suzuki Alto / Toyota Yaris / Nissan Micra for £lol and use the leftover money for other more important stuff.

You could probably buy a whole Suzuki for the price of a clutch on that Audi.

It's had a new clutch/turbo/cambelt which is one of the reasons it appeals as the expensive jobs are done.
However cost of ownership is something which I don't know about for Audi's.
I'm going to look at it today and see what's what, and I'll probably do more research and keep looking. I think I'll need something bigger than a 106/Yaris because I'm 6'1".

Don
Looking at a Civic on Sunday. Not sure on details yet.

Hopefully a 1.8 Petrol?

(Given from what you've said, you do ~10k/year it doesn't seem like you really need a Diesel, as the savings aren't substantial versus the risk with an old diesel)

e.g. plugging figures in here, you'd save a whole £6/week on fuel, or £310/year, which would easily be eaten by the cost of a DPF or dual mass flywheel issue
UkKlwRa.png

Don
It's had a new clutch/turbo/cambelt which is one of the reasons it appeals as the expensive jobs are done.

A petrol Civic wouldn't ever need a new turbo (as it doesn't have one) or cambelt (as it has a chain), leaving just a clutch, which would still be cheaper as most diesels need a Dual Mass Flywheel doing at the same time as a clutch replacement

Soldato
OP
Hopefully a 1.8 Petrol?

(Given from what you've said, you do ~10k/year it doesn't seem like you really need a Diesel, as the savings aren't substantial versus the risk with an old diesel)

e.g. plugging figures in here, you'd save a whole £6/week on fuel, or £310/year, which would easily be eaten by the cost of a DPF or dual mass flywheel issue
UkKlwRa.png

Interesting site. Saved to favourites, thanks.

Had a drive in it today and must admit I was impressed. Stack load of receipts and drove really well, 50+mpg down country lanes and just felt solid road holding (17" Wheels). Holding off until I've seen the Civic.

My Focus is a bag of crap after driving a 8 yr newer car lol. High expectations for the Civic.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A3.
£1000 for a DPF just for the part from Euro car parts. :o it's as expensive as a turbo!
£200 EGR valve.
£155 battery.
£300 clutch. Fitting extra.
:o
These are hardly big numbers are they, they just seem larger because the cars value is now so low...

To be honest if those numbers look big to you then just steer clear of anything with a prestige badge on it. Anything like this will throw a grand here and there...

Unlike others I wouldn’t have an issue with this car at all, I’d much rather this car than almost anything else suggested in this thread as being more sensible, but do only go into it without the thought that you care about the odd repair.

Back
Top Bottom