2011 Audi A3 E Sport TDCi any good?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
They might not be big numbers to you but then you don't have a car budget of £2k either do you?
I am trying to put some context into what this car actually is though, while it is now a car of little value, it is only this context which makes those numbers look larger. The car was a much more expensive car and in this context the parts are perfectly reasonable.

This doesn’t make it a bad purchase, but you really must consider that you are buying into an expensive car for not much money, rather than buying a cheap car...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is context is now irrelevant though isn't it. All that matters is now and now it's a 2 grand car.
What I am trying to convey though is that you don’t have to look at in that way, I would view it that it’s an expensive car which is now £2k because it is old...but I wouldn’t expect a discount on brand new parts for it.

Am I making no sense? :p I am trying to put an alternative view to this thing, as it could be quite a nice car for £2k..

Soldato
These are hardly big numbers are they,
For context, one of those numbers is 50% of monthly take home pay for someone on £30k.

Given the OP has described himself as a low earner, I suspect he's not earning that much.

Several weeks pay to replace your flywheel is definitely a 'big' number in the context.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Fair enough, clearly not the car for him then (and given that any car remotely like this will be the same, nothing like this will be the car for him either) :)

Cars like this are not all bad, but anyone buying them really must consider that they are not actually cheap cars, despite the low entry point.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's an 8P Audi A3. It was a 'nice car' 18 years ago, by 2011 it was old hat, add another 10 years on and it's about as unremarkable a car as you can buy used.
To be fair it’s a manual hatchback for £2k, neither of us would be remotely interested in this particular car. Not many hatchbacks for this sort of budget will be interesting, but an Audi A3 old or not is still a well built model which certainly looks alright. £2k doesn’t buy much in this market :)

Soldato
OP
Just having it on a long test drive (done about 70mile so far) for the day and it drives really well (compared to a 20yr old Ford lol), across a mix of country lanes, A roads and motorway it's averaging 66 mpg. On a run without the A roads it would be higher. It's not especially an awe inspiring engine but it's capable. I'm quite impressed, and as for regeneration of the DPF etc my mate can sort that. Looking through the immense history a clutch was £400 fitted, turbo £500 fitted, cambelt £200 fitted. Not as bad as I was expecting.

Soldato
OP
It's not the labour thats the issue with a DPF replacement - it's fairly straightforward - but the cost of the parts.

Hmmm yeah, after looking into it more, any diesel after 2009 will have a DPF. Or should have one...

As long as you don't do short journeys in a diesel you're all good. I'm learning so much lol.

£700 for a DPF, ECP with discount. Auto regenerates on a motorway run essentially.

You are right though - blooming expensive! But whether it's a diesel Fiesta or diesel Audi, they'll all have same costs. £600 for Fiesta DPF. :o

I never even thought about it when looking at a Fiesta.

Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
60+ MPG and drives really well. Couple of issues but any used car could have them and it could be something easy. It's a nice, easy drive. £205 from Audi for oil and filter change lol. Luckily it's 2 yr servicing and it was serviced last year. £80 for full service of oil filter, oil (shell helix 0w30), air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter - all Bosch.

Need to clean it but need to jet wash the arches because 17" 5 spoke Wheels and normal brakes and it looks like there's too much space behind the wheel and it shows up dirty lol.

Associate
Sorry, 2009 model. Doh. And he says e sport. Also had new clutch and tyres.

I'll be doing mainly motorway work 10miles to work. I try not to do short journey's.

i know im not one to point a finger ...but are you sure you want to go diesel for this journey? off sorry looks like you bought it . hope its good for you

Soldato
OP
i know im not one to point a finger ...but are you sure you want to go diesel for this journey? off sorry looks like you bought it . hope its good for you

I don't go fast (60 on motorway) enough to clean the DPF so very economical but I'll do an extra long journey once a month. Max RPM is usually about 2k RPM and I'll need to get between 2.5k RPM to 3k RPM so will just run it in a lower gear.

Associate
sorry i wasnt commenting on the speed just the mileage 10 miles to work a day, as said i cant point cause i have diesels doing less well 2 doing nothing and atm one doing 500 mile a year according to the new mot and only about 4500 a year before that , and i was starting to get to a point of not justifying having a diesel.
ill probably end up with a small petrol as wife only does a couple of miles to daughters when the virus has gone.

Back
Top Bottom