• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

A2B

A2B

Associate
3080 arrived, haven't had time to play with it properly yet, but someone asked for pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

80 vs 70

4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/amp/news/geforce-rtx-3090-blower-gpus-vanish-into-thin-air

Seems all the blower fan versions have been removed, strange that all the vendors are doing the same thing. Can only assume either nvidia rejected the blower design or vendors webt about trying to do a blower version and discovered it was struggling to keep the card cool.
Had read an article that said Nvidia asked the partners to remove the design as they want to use that design on some crypto mining cards that they plan on releasing.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It says in the article it was because they were being used in servers instead of the A-series cards, does it not?

Sounds like it’s been done to ensure that server builders have to buy the more expensive cards.

Caporegime

Coil whine on the 3090fe seems pretty bad in a lot of instances, bit of irony that Jensen called the cooler a "silencer" yet other components are taking away from that.

Soldato

Coil whine on the 3090fe seems pretty bad in a lot of instances, bit of irony that Jensen called the cooler a "silencer" yet other components are taking away from that.

it is a shame that. 2/3 3090s FEs I have had whine. As you say the cooler on it is exceptional so unfortunate. Power supply does play a part sometimes, other times can be down to the sample you get. I do find it reduces over time on ones did whine, but not to satisfying levels.

Soldato
I think I have some coil whine, you can kind of hear it if looking out for it, but it goes without saying, coil whine under load is far far more preferable to coil whine under idle which is an issue I used to have in my PC, at least under load fans ramp up and drown it out, plus when under load I usually have headphones on in a game so wouldnt hear it anyway.

Associate
Dont worry too much about the coil whine, my 3090FE was rediculous when i got it but its totally silent now (takes a good while to settle and might not be same for all cards though).

A2B

A2B

Associate
No coil wine from my 3080 at all under stress or idle, I had a 980ti that sealed a bit when idle but not under load most odd

Haven't noticed any on my 3080 either. Unfortunately it's less efficient for mining than the 3070 (not the main reason I got it, but fun to play with). Still haven't had time to try a game on it, or my video editing stuff (soldering and programming all day).

Thats a tight squeeze :D

right? :). Yeah so a 90 would have been power tools (which I need anyway to get front cooling working - the hard drive bay is in the way of that too (sigh)). it's an old case :).

does anyone know of a super compact case than can still take an ATX board (X570 Tomahawk) and a 3080? I might need it to be portable down the line so a strong handle would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Maybe a cooler master Q500L? You'd have to get a short sfx psu to fit round the 3080 I think, but looks like it could work. Still not exactly portable though and doesn't have a handle.

Edit: a lot chunkier but the cooler master HAF XB evo might be worth a look too. Does actually have carrying handles, and better airflow.

Last edited:

A2B

A2B

Associate
Maybe a cooler master Q500L? You'd have to get a short sfx psu to fit round the 3080 I think, but looks like it could work. Still not exactly portable though and doesn't have a handle.

Edit: a lot chunkier but the cooler master HAF XB evo might be worth a look too. Does actually have carrying handles, and better airflow.

Interesting thanks. I guess if I want much smaller I'd need to jump to a smaller mobo. I've only just got this one fully tweaked out though ... :confused:

Soldato
does anyone know of a super compact case than can still take an ATX board (X570 Tomahawk) and a 3080? I might need it to be portable down the line so a strong handle would be good.
The Lian Li 215 is pretty compact while also providing very good airflow.

A2B

A2B

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom