• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

_ds

_ds

Associate
Hi All,

TLDR; New 3090 was running fine then had a big ol' crash. VGA light on, tried reseating and swapping out PSU cables to no avail. Tried a different GPU and it worked fine. Anything else to try before trying to get the 3090 replaced?

SPECS; Gigabyte AORUS 3090 Master, 5800X, RM850x RM850 PSU, AORUS x570 Ultra mobo, 32Gb vengeance pro

Had my new rig running for a week when my RTX3090 decided it didn't fancy it anymore.
I'd been playing Red Dead all week and tried some GTA at the weekend. After about 2 hours of that I'm hit with a black screen and hear the GPU fans suddenly jump to 100%. This is despite the GPU usage on the LCD saying ~75% and temps of ~68°.

After inputs not doing anything and being worried the rig would start to take off, I held the power button to shut it down. On startup I had no display and the red VGA warning light on the motherboard was on. I also got the beep code for 'Graphics Card Error'.

I've tried:
  • Reseating the GPU (multiple times)
  • Reseating PSU Cables
  • Swapping PSU Cables
All with no results. However, I try my partner's 960 and it boots up just fine :(

Is there anything else that's worth trying before I try to get my card replaced? Everything I've found online for this seems to be 'reseat or replace'.

Any help would be appreciated

- Dave

Last edited:
Soldato
Failures that happen in the first few weeks are usually down to manufacturing defects so it seems you got unlucky this time around, the good news is gigabyte have a pretty quick turn around on RMAs so shouldn't take long to have it replaced and get back up and running.

Associate
Speaking of which did the aorus master need the thermal pad revision by gigabyte? Does it have 2 PCIe plugs or 3? I think they revised to 3 on their later models but I could be wrong?

Associate
It doesn't sound good mate. RMA that sucker. Gigabyte cards have not been great this time around, especially ampere.

Get in touch with gigaman on the forums and get it shipped off asap. Where did you buy it from ?

Did you have the 3090 on separate individual 12v pciex from the PSU or did you daisy chain them from the PSU?

_ds

_ds

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of the speedy replies!

Not looking good but have you tried putting the 3090 in your partners rig yet ?

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give that a go this evening, if it fits in the case! She only has a 600w PSU though, would that prevent it booting or bottleneck it?

Have you got a different PSU you could try? How old is your one?

I haven't got a separate PSU, but mine is as new as the rest of the rig, about a week.

Failures that happen in the first few weeks are usually down to manufacturing defects so it seems you got unlucky this time around, the good news is gigabyte have a pretty quick turn around on RMAs so shouldn't take long to have it replaced and get back up and running.

Cheers, I'll keep my fingers crossed if nothing else works

Speaking of which did the aorus master need the thermal pad revision by gigabyte? Does it have 2 PCIe plugs or 3? I think they revised to 3 on their later models but I could be wrong?

I wasn't aware of that, but yes it's a rev 1 so only two PCIe plugs.

Associate
Thanks for all of the speedy replies!

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give that a go this evening, if it fits in the case! She only has a 600w PSU though, would that prevent it booting or bottleneck it?

I haven't got a separate PSU, but mine is as new as the rest of the rig, about a week.

Cheers, I'll keep my fingers crossed if nothing else works

I wasn't aware of that, but yes it's a rev 1 so only two PCIe plugs.

Sounds very similar to this mate.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/my-new-gigabyte-master-3080-rmad.18921481/

RMA quick time! get a 3070 60ti to tie you over until you get a replacement .... If you can ....ofc

_ds

_ds

Associate
OP
It doesn't sound good mate. RMA that sucker. Gigabyte cards have not been great this time around, especially ampere.

Get in touch with gigaman on the forums and get it shipped off asap. Where did you buy it from ?

Did you have the 3090 on separate individual 12v pciex from the PSU or did you daisy chain them from the PSU?

I got it from Overclockers. Should I RMA it through them, Gigabyte, or message this gigaman you mentioned? Sorry for the naive question, but I've been lucky enough to not have to go through this before.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the separate 12v or daisy-chaining. It's a single-rail PSU, if that's relevant. I've been using two separate PCIe 8-pin cables.

Sounds very similar to this mate.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/my-new-gigabyte-master-3080-rmad.18921481/

RMA quick time! get a 3070 60ti to tie you over until you get a replacement .... If you can ....ofc

Ah, good find, sounds very similar. Thanks very much for the help

Associate
@GIGA-Man can you help this guy?

I would personally RMA direct to gigabyte you will probably get a replacement card quicker that way then going through ocuk. See what giga man suggests he's good lad.:cool::cool::cool:

I got it from Overclockers. Should I RMA it through them, Gigabyte, or message this gigaman you mentioned? Sorry for the naive question, but I've been lucky enough to not have to go through this before.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the separate 12v or daisy-chaining. It's a single-rail PSU, if that's relevant. I've been using two separate PCIe 8-pin cables.

Ah, good find, sounds very similar. Thanks very much for the help

Associate
Another GPU for the sack! If you read the post linked above there have been a few problematic Gigabyte cards. I recently got my 3090 replaced because it was unstable (it was randomly crashing and doing the same as yours: black screen and fans ramping up like crazy). Good news is that Gigabyte RMA service is very fast, I got my Gamig OC swapped in one week :).

Soldato
Could the efficiency of the PSU have dropped to just below what is needed? The GPU sounds like it's going to be dead but it's good to always have a backup 1000watt in the cupboard from the cheap days to test with.

Associate
Could the efficiency of the PSU have dropped to just below what is needed? The GPU sounds like it's going to be dead but it's good to always have a backup 1000watt in the cupboard from the cheap days to test with.

+1

Don't understand why Corsair PSU are being bought....do they have a shiny sticker!?

Or Corsair RAM

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lower efficiency means more power draw from the wall, not less power delivered to components.

Seems pretty cut and dry. GPU died, get it replaced.

Permabanned
+1

Don't understand why Corsair PSU are being bought....do they have a shiny sticker!?

Or Corsair RAM

They make good PSU (or get made for them), and I got 3 shiny magnetic metal stickers (I opted to stick on the red one to go with my build) so thanks for asking.

Screenshot-2021-03-03-023332.png

Associate
They make good PSU (or get made for them), and I got 3 shiny magnetic metal stickers (I opted to stick on the red one to go with my build) so thanks for asking.

Screenshot-2021-03-03-023332.png

Confused by your reply to my post.

Are 3090s not prone to power spikes!? Is 850w actually enough?

Have to agree with Acme though, Replacement time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom