Which was better Xbox or PS2 and why ?

Associate
Yeah, the little crab things were very annoying (the flood)

Multiplayer didn't get better than hooking up Xboxes back then living on Anglesey, internet was barely a thing.

Soldato
PS2 for me, I was always a PlayStation kid and probably always will be. That said, the Xbox wasn't officially available in South Africa where I grew up at the time so the PS2 was the only real option anyway.

Soldato
Had a playstation back in 94, ridge racer and wipeout 2097 were my fave games, left school got a job and forgot about games for a few years. Bought an xbox on release with splitter cell. Brilliant times.

Man of Honour
If you were a loner the PS2 had a fantastic single player library, but if you had friends or were social then Xbox Live and LAN play at a time when everyone used headsets was a transformative experience in gaming.

Associate
I think I have had pretty much all consoles since the master system/megadrive era but never owned an Xbox, that's partly because I always had my PC also which I always thought was what an xbox was in a box but less powerful :O
However I am tempted to try the xbox series x now as I got a 1 year gamepass ultimate as part of my phone contract. I had it in my amazon basket yesterday but they bundled it with a 3 months gamepass so I had to pass on it.

Associate
I had PS2 at launch and loved Tekken, SSX and ISS, I thought I'd be a PlayStation person forever.

I hated the Xbox when it came out but that all changed when I played Outrun 2 in a Gamestation and thought "Christ, these graphics are amazing". On a whim, my dad bought one for me and suggested Xbox Live.

Xbox Live back in the day with Halo 2, PGR2, Mechassault, Rainbow Six: Black Arrow, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon... some of the most fun I've ever had.

I love the PS2 but I had way more fun on the Xbox and I loved the S controller too.

Plus the ability to rip music to the HDD was killer, custom soundtracks in-game was amazing for a teenager.

Caporegime
Easy win for Xbox in our house. My dad bought an Xecuter console so we could play and install numerous games on to the HDD. I still wasn't that bothered by it (or PS1/2) as I was gaming on Windows NT/2000 at 1280x1024 back then. Wasn't until the 360/PS3 came out that I ditched my PC and went console only for 15-odd years.

Associate
I actually had all 3 that gen, bought ps2 on launch day, bought the xbox after playing halo on my girlfriend's machine and won a gamecube.
They each had their strengths. I think I played the ps2 most to start with but the xbox definitely lasted longest, playing halo2 online with a long distance friend was a game changer.

Caporegime
GameCube for me. Some of the best games ever created came out on that console. It didn't have the best library but had a huge wealth of generational best games. PS2 had a wealth of great titles but a load of rubbish as well. Xbox was just a PC for the home. They didn't really have any exclusive titles although they formed the basis for xbox live which hit it out the park in the next generation with the 360.

PS2 had the largest and most varied library and without question won the battle of the era.

For a collector like myself, the Xbox is far superior for multi-platform games due to:
480p (PS2 was 480i) for the most part
Anti Aliasing
Faster load times
Generally higher graphics
Higher frame rate.

I owned all 3 consoles at the time. The Xbox was clearly just MS testing the water with old PC parts (P3 750Mhz, an old IDE hard drive and a Geforce 3) before they went all in with the 360.

Soldato
i only ever had the xbox, loved the HDD and xbox live
i'd use it to play music and dvds.
the controller was terrible but i bought a smaller third party one and it was great
definitely not the amount of games but i was happy with what i did play
very little in it, both good machines

Soldato
I had the Xbox, the controller and multiplayer games were great (Halo, PGR, Forza to name a few). I might still have it somewhere.

For me it was SNES>3DO>PS1>Dreamcast>Xbox>X360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X

Associate
Out of the 3 consoles that gen it has to be GameCube 1080 avalanche, waverace, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Kart Double Dash.

I owned all 3 but if I still had them the cube is the one I would fire up first.

Associate
Was a massive PS2 fan back In the day, remember picking it up just after Christmas with red faction and being blown away.

Always had fond memories of going down to chips and trading in games for new ones, the library was so vast there was always someone coming out.

Nothing before or since grabbed my attention in the same way had a PS3 and 4 after but I felt some of the magic was lost.

Back
Top Bottom