Outdoor string/festoon lights on a budget?

Soldato
Anyone recommend some festoon/string LED lights (mains powered) on a small budget. Not a massive garden by any means but we just want to put something up to make it look nice.

This was what was in the garden before we bought the place and it's now just the shed and the patio so we have a blank canvas I'd say.

Soldato
OP
Decent, at least they have a normal plug for the outside sockets. I bought 2 packs of some festoon lights from dunelm yesterday and they had a huge power plug with the ac adaptor built in meaning it stuck out a good 6cm. Daft.

I'll take a look at those ones thanks otherwise it'll just be some cheap solar ones for now.

Associate
You can now order the ones I shared, to arrive in April. I’ve ordered another set to attach to my existing lights to go further round the garden.

Associate
If you’re installing them yourself then personally I wouldn’t use 240v lights.

Kits like this won’t use proper armoured cable, it’s not worth the risk, either if it accidentally gets cuts or the pulled out.

Those Amazon lights don’t have an earth core :eek:
I’m no sparky but that looks v dodgy

Soldato
If you’re installing them yourself then personally I wouldn’t use 240v lights.

Kits like this won’t use proper armoured cable, it’s not worth the risk, either if it accidentally gets cuts or the pulled out.

Those Amazon lights don’t have an earth core :eek:
I’m no sparky but that looks v dodgy

Armoured cable and an earth core on festoon lights?? Explain yourself.

Associate
Armoured cable and an earth core on festoon lights?? Explain yourself.

240v

If someone pulls the on the cable, either accidently (trips over and grabs for something) or deliberately (kids "oooo, this is fun I can make the lights swing) then it could pull the cable out of one of the fittings and you've now got a bare live and neutral, if you've got a RCD fitted then it should trip, but why take the risk when 12v lights are available.

Also the cable has to get from the wall socket to whatever the lights are attached to, if this runs along the floor then it's it's a danger of being cut or pierced.

For my lights I've got the transformer in the garage and only run 12v cable outside, but if I did need a mains supply in the garden then I'd get a sparky to run amoured.

Soldato
240v

If someone pulls the on the cable, either accidently (trips over and grabs for something) or deliberately (kids "oooo, this is fun I can make the lights swing) then it could pull the cable out of one of the fittings and you've now got a bare live and neutral, if you've got a RCD fitted then it should trip, but why take the risk when 12v lights are available.

Also the cable has to get from the wall socket to whatever the lights are attached to, if this runs along the floor then it's it's a danger of being cut or pierced.

For my lights I've got the transformer in the garage and only run 12v cable outside, but if I did need a mains supply in the garden then I'd get a sparky to run amoured.

so use a plug in rcd or change the socket to an rcd protected one.

Theres no earth core as the lights are double insulated.

Associate
so use a plug in rcd or change the socket to an rcd protected one.
Assuming the person who buys it knows what a RCD is or when to use one

Theres no earth core as the lights are double insulated.
I can't see anything that says they're double insulated and I can't see a symbol.

Also this is on one the reviews, dodgy wiring and none moulded plug
Mine arrived and when plugged in immediately fused. Undid none molded plug and when i opened found blue onto fuse and brown wire on top (earth) pin

Back
Top Bottom