LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Associate
Morning all,

How do people have their displays set for Dolby Vision? I'm watching Disney+ through my Xbox Series X and so am keen to make sure I've got it configured correctly. Currently I've got Dolby Vision set to 'Cinema' and haven't touch anything else.

You don't need to set Dolby vision on Xbox to watch Disney + it a smart TV

Hey guys. I am having a weird problem where when I initially connected my LG CX to my RTX3090 using a HDMI 2.0b cable it worked fine with 4k60, RGB, 8-bit with HDMI Deep Colour Enabled. I had also of course changed the HDMI input to PC and Instant Game Response was also enabled. Gsync was enabled in drivers.

Then I mistakenly changed the setting to 10-bit and it disconnected with no signal. Ok no problem, so I reset the HDMI connections and started again. However, now the panel will ONLY output YCbCr420. Now if I try and enable HDMI Deep Colour I get an immediate disconnect and no signal. No hardware has changed... same ports and cable that were previously working fine. Latest Nvidia drivers with Gsync enabled and TV is on latest firmware.

One interesting thing I notice is that the TV no longer presents itself on my PC as a PC display with the green Nvidia logo, it now presents itself as a blue TV. In the list of supported resolutions, the 'PC' section is now limited to 1360 x 760 and no longer shows 4k. I have to select 4k in the 'Ultra HD, HD, SD' list instead. If I change the refresh rate to 30hz then I can once more select RGB and Full dynamic range.

It's like since I made the mistake with the setting my available bandwidth has halved.
If the cable had not have been working fine before I would have said "dodgy cable". But it was working sweet as a nut for a full day of gaming heaven until I changed the setting to one that was out of spec of said cable.

Any ideas? :)

Why on earth would you connect a 2.0b cable on a 3090? Why not use a 2.1 cable? what it was design for, Change the TV to your GPU.

Not sure where to put this but seems like the new 42” panels will be cheaper than the 55”. Rumours are around $1000 or thereabouts, and there is a rumour that even a 31” screen will be released. If so then I’m definitely going to wait before I nab an OLED for my series x.

I don't see any 42inch on the LG website 2021 New OLED range only 48 - 83

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't see any 42inch on the LG website 2021 New OLED range only 48 - 83
Sounds like the 42" screens might be part of the 'EX' range:

LG OLED EX shown

https://translate.google.com/transl...n-der-lg-oled-ex-lifestyle-serie-aufgetaucht/

The site 4kfilme says its possible its one of smaller panels ie 42"

Looks pretty monitor type to me, 5 hdmi inputs, headphone jack and oled badge on front of it like a monitor so its possible. Guess with 5 inputs you can use all those next gen gpus, consoles etc

Caporegime
Why on earth would you connect a 2.0b cable on a 3090? Why not use a 2.1 cable? what it was design for, Change the TV to your GPU.
Because firstly, a 15m HDMI 2.1 cable is £200 and I do not yet want to pay that until they get cheaper. Secondly, I am very happy gaming with 4k 60fps on a TV and with very graphically demanding adventure and RPG games you don't get so much more than 60fps at 4k anyway.

When the RTX 4090 is released, then I can worry about having enoughh GPU horsepower to actually get 4k 120fps; until then, a constant 4k60fps makes me a very happy man.

Associate
Because firstly, a 15m HDMI 2.1 cable is £200 and I do not yet want to pay that until they get cheaper. Secondly, I am very happy gaming with 4k 60fps on a TV and with very graphically demanding adventure and RPG games you don't get so much more than 60fps at 4k anyway. When the RTX 4090 is released, then I can worry about having enoughh GPU horsepower to actually get 4k 120fps; until then, a constant 4k60fps makes me a very happy man.

15 meter cable what's your home a Wearhouse lol,;) RTX3090 is 120hz GPU @4k 10bit

Sounds like the 42" screens might be part of the 'EX' range:
On LG website new OLED 2021 there is no EX range only C1, B1, Z1, ZX, GX,

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Its not confirmed or anything, just what the website feels it could just as easily be the A1 series name.

Other news today is LG plans on selling the 2021 range to be 20% less priced due to better stock and fabrication and they said C1 series 55" and 65" will arrive first.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=61434

Sonys OLEDs 2021 series is starting to pop up with pre-orders, no doubt with these newer LG ranges will slowly follow, all in all good times for OLEDS in general with better specs, cheaper prices, more ranges and sizes due 2021.

Caporegime
I was playing around with the calibration settings last night while watching various streaming sources and I have to disagree with RTings saying that Cinema is the best setting for HDR/DV. It's too dark. Cinema Home has a lot more detail and overall a more pleasing image.

Seriously though, OLED is like a massage for the eyes, everything just looks to damn amazing and without the harsh LED glare that often tires my eyes on TV's. I can't wait to watch some Blu Ray rips on it. :)

Its not confirmed or anything, just what the website feels it could just as easily be the A1 series name.

Other news today is LG plans on selling the 2021 range to be 20% less priced due to better stock and fabrication and they said C1 series 55" and 65" will arrive first.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=61434

Sonys OLEDs 2021 series is starting to pop up with pre-orders, no doubt with these newer LG ranges will slowly follow, all in all good times for OLEDS in general with better specs, cheaper prices, more ranges and sizes due 2021.

I am waiting for a monitor-sized OLED, 32" ideally. I reckon 1-2 years before we have them.

15 meter cable what's your home a Wearhouse lol,;) RTX3090 is 120hz GPU @4k 10bit
Quite. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I was playing around with the calibration settings last night while watching various streaming sources and I have to disagree with RTings saying that Cinema is the best setting for HDR/DV. It's too dark. Cinema Home has a lot more detail and overall a more pleasing image.

I have to agree with this. I own the 65 inch GX version (which is essentially the same tv just mounted differently), and after weeks of fiddling with the settings I’ve finally found what I’m happy with.
I find Cinema way too dark, even with the high OLED light setting. Yes the colours are slightly more accurate but Cinema Home gives the image and HDR more pop and is much more ‘happy’ to my eyes.
Also RTings have the OLED light setting at something mad like 27?! I think mines at 92 for DV content HDR.

for me I found normal SD viewing to be best under isf Bright room, and then Cinema Home for everything else. It’s also worth experimenting with dynamic contrast on Low for Cinema Home too. I’ve found it can help bring out detail in some movies. I keep sharpness at 8, and push the colour saturation up very slightly to 55.
I haven’t changed any of the white balance settings, or had my tv pro calibrated. I’ve heard mixed reviews of people spending 300+ On a cal only to be left with a very dark image which is only any good viewed in a pitch black room. I understand that’s what the cinema buffs want but it’s just not for me.

it’s also worth noting that these TVs go more than bright enough for me, I’d imagine some led TVs would be pretty uncomfortable at full hdr output! I’ll take the ultra lush, non-washed out OLED image anyway of the week.

Caporegime
I have to agree with this. I own the 65 inch GX version (which is essentially the same tv just mounted differently), and after weeks of fiddling with the settings I’ve finally found what I’m happy with.
I find Cinema way too dark, even with the high OLED light setting. Yes the colours are slightly more accurate but Cinema Home gives the image and HDR more pop and is much more ‘happy’ to my eyes.
Also RTings have the OLED light setting at something mad like 27?! I think mines at 92 for DV content HDR.

for me I found normal SD viewing to be best under isf Bright room, and then Cinema Home for everything else. It’s also worth experimenting with dynamic contrast on Low for Cinema Home too. I’ve found it can help bring out detail in some movies. I keep sharpness at 8, and push the colour saturation up very slightly to 55.
I haven’t changed any of the white balance settings, or had my tv pro calibrated. I’ve heard mixed reviews of people spending 300+ On a cal only to be left with a very dark image which is only any good viewed in a pitch black room. I understand that’s what the cinema buffs want but it’s just not for me.

it’s also worth noting that these TVs go more than bright enough for me, I’d imagine some led TVs would be pretty uncomfortable at full hdr output! I’ll take the ultra lush, non-washed out OLED image anyway of the week.
Yeah I always chuckle when people talk about brightness... an OLD in a darkened or dimly lit room like someone would watch a movie in is still imo really bright and for the sake of the comfort of my eyes I would not want it any brighter.

Soldato
Yeah I always chuckle when people talk about brightness... an OLD in a darkened or dimly lit room like someone would watch a movie in is still imo really bright and for the sake of the comfort of my eyes I would not want it any brighter.

Do you have any vertical banding. How’s your uniformity with 5% black?

I’ve got a 65” as well but have some banding which does seem to be getting better with usage. Just seeing if it gets to to a acceptable level where it doesn’t bother me with dark content.

Caporegime
Do you have any vertical banding. How’s your uniformity with 5% black?

I’ve got a 65” as well but have some banding which does seem to be getting better with usage. Just seeing if it gets to to a acceptable level where it doesn’t bother me with dark content.
Honestly, nothing that I have noticed so far from my viewing and gaming. Also, unless you are talking about something that should be immediately noticeable then I also don't want to go looking for things in anal detail to the point where I start to force myself to notice them. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :)

Soldato
Dynamic tone mapping and peak brightness settings are what you can adjust to attain max possible brightness output for HDR.

For a dark cinema style room these settings don't need to be enabled, however some films are darker than others and could use more brightness. This is where those aforementioned settings come in. I have 4 set brightness levels in the preset and just switch between those. 4 levels for both hdr and sdr content.

And to get maximum pop your brightness slider (not oled light) should be between 48 and 50 depending on the content. Perfect blacks make a massive difference to even slightly raised blacks.

Associate
Dynamic tone mapping and peak brightness settings are what you can adjust to attain max possible brightness output for HDR.

For a dark cinema style room these settings don't need to be enabled, however some films are darker than others and could use more brightness. This is where those aforementioned settings come in. I have 4 set brightness levels in the preset and just switch between those. 4 levels for both hdr and sdr content.

And to get maximum pop your brightness slider (not oled light) should be between 48 and 50 depending on the content. Perfect blacks make a massive difference to even slightly raised blacks.

I have my brightness set to 50 for all my settings so no worries there. I think my DTM is also disabled for every preset too.

If you have anymore tips id be interested and grateful to read them!

Caporegime
I have further tweaked my picture to change the OLED brightness to 50 which is much easier on my eyes for regular viewing. Additionally I also enabled Cinema Clear (in Trumption settings) and it really helps to reduce telecine judder without adding any soap opera effect. I recommend people try it.

Watching Outlander on Netflix now and even at that bit rate it just looks so glorious... the black levels and the colours just make it such a different experience vs my old LED.

I already hate the LG remote though feels horrible in the hand and the buttn pacement sucks. WIll probably replace it with a harmony 666.

Caporegime
I opted for the CX55 and it arrived yesterday. Very impressed so far. I’ll have a look at these settings on the weekend.
I used RTINGS as a base then made the tweaks that I posted (OLED brightness 50 and Cinema Clear enabled). I also changed both HDR and Dolby Vision to Cinema Home with all processing off except Cinema Clear. :)

Soldato

Brightness does make a big difference though. I think you have to see a high end Fald at full brightness compared to an oled to appreciate its effect. My Panasonic has a peak brightness at 1300 nits.. Hdr can be amazing on it considering its a tv that's nearly 5yr old now. In a bright living room with a big bay window etc it's been perfect for viewing all day long.

Im getting an lg oled this year because I do love the inky black etc but I definitely appreciate a brighter tv.

Sometimes I'm gaming on my tv and if I turn to the sun in the game im almost squinting cos its so awesomely bright.

Caporegime
Brightness does make a big difference though. I think you have to see a high end Fald at full brightness compared to an oled to appreciate its effect. My Panasonic has a peak brightness at 1300 nits.. Hdr can be amazing on it considering its a tv that's nearly 5yr old now. In a bright living room with a big bay window etc it's been perfect for viewing all day long.

Im getting an lg oled this year because I do love the inky black etc but I definitely appreciate a brighter tv.

Sometimes I'm gaming on my tv and if I turn to the sun in the game im almost squinting cos its so awesomely bright.
I have seen a bright LED, but what I am saying is that it is not comfortable (imo) to view an overly bright display in a darkened room, especially one that pumps out as much blue light as an LED. I don't want to be blinded when I look at the sun in a movie or a game because the simple fact is that it is not good for the eyes and such dramatic differences in contrasts cause eyestrain and fatigue. The max brightness of HDR on an OLED in a darkened room is already bordering on too bright for me and an OLED is already easier on the eyes than an LED. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have seen a bright LED, but what I am saying is that it is not comfortable to view an overly bright display in a darkened room, especially one that umps out as much blue light as an LED. I don't want to be blinded when I look at the sun in a movie or a game because the simple fact is that it is not good for the eyes and such dramatic differences in contrasts cause eyestrain and fatigue. The max brightness of HDR on an OLED in a darkened room is already bordering on too bright for me and an OLED is alresady easier on the eyes than an LED. :)

Fair one. Im of the view that the huge brightness adds to an effect and my eyeballs need to just suck it up! Haha

Back
Top Bottom