Daughter's computer has died - help needed to diagnose please if possible

Associate
Just going back to the pop - can your daughter remember if there was a smell like burning hair?

I'm leaning towards the psu as its unlikely a bad gpu would cause that level of instability during recovery/installation.

Associate
OP
Just going back to the pop - can your daughter remember if there was a smell like burning hair?

I'm leaning towards the psu as its unlikely a bad gpu would cause that level of instability during recovery/installation.

I would normally ask her but one of the other challenges she has is that she has no sense of smell. However, the 'pop' had been on numerous occasions I believe but will check.

Associate
OP
I'm tied up with work at the moment but will have another go at the weekend. I'm desperate to get it solved for her plus the RMA clock is ticking which is less urgent as I should have at least a years warranty.

Associate
That popping noise is the likely indicator, and as others have said this is probably going to be the PSU that's failed. Popping noises are caused by "arcing" whereby electrical current makes it's way places it shouldn't because of faulty component or a break down in the isolation in the PSU itrself, to back up what others have said the first thing to try is a new PSU. Good luck to you!

Associate
OP
It's also risky doing too much testing on a potentially failing PSU.

That's a good point.

I'm going to take the PSU from my son's computer this weekend and fit it to my daughters. Slot the potentially suspect graphics card back in and see how we get on. My sons computer is only about a year old but I'll check the wattage on his PSU to make sure its not under powered for hers.

Caporegime
It's possible there's a fried or bulging capacitor on the motherboard as well. I'd remove it from the case and try a bare bones install, 1 memory stick, GPU and PSU connected with just the SSD and see what happens.

Soldato
dont know if this has been solved and what other replies are, but could be a psu or hard drive option. even a fresh install of windows can't fix a failing drive.

edit: just seen the link to the spec. corsair are usually very good.

the only other thing i can think of is a file/download or whatever is on the computer might have been corrupted or caused a virus.

Associate
OP
Good morning all,

Let me firstly say thanks for the advice so far.

So I've been doing some further diagnosis this morning and can report the following:
  • Swapped out the PSU for a known good one and the fault remained.
  • Put the good graphics card in without removing the known good PSU and the fault disappeared and completed a full install of W10 with no issues.
  • Put the old graphics card back in and the fault immediately returns.
  • Good card back in and W10 loads fine - actually typing this from her computer.
Its got to be the graphics card right?

Many thanks.

Man of Honour
Good morning all,

Let me firstly say thanks for the advice so far.

So I've been doing some further diagnosis this morning and can report the following:
  • Swapped out the PSU for a known good one and the fault remained.
  • Put the good graphics card in without removing the known good PSU and the fault disappeared and completed a full install of W10 with no issues.
  • Put the old graphics card back in and the fault immediately returns.
  • Good card back in and W10 loads fine - actually typing this from her computer.
Its got to be the graphics card right?

Many thanks.
Yep it looks like the gpu.

Associate
OP
Looks like that has solved it. She's been playing Minecraft on and off since yesterday with no issues.

RMA raised with Overclockers for a replacement.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom