Advice for set up for me and my son

Associate
Hi all,

A bit of a general overall question.. Christmas 2019 I came on here and got amazing advice on a first gaming PC build for my 9 year (at the time) son.

I was overjoyed with it, building it was an amazing experience and it was a Christmas that I’ll never forget.

Fast forward until now, split with my ex who took everything I owned bar anything of no value to her. Luckily I still get to see my son and he’s still gaming mad.

This year he got a PS5 and we currently game on an LG OLED 55” TV (B something or other 9 I believe is the model) PS5 looks amazing on it!

I started thinking maybe some bean bags to sit on then it spiralled from there and my head is all over the place now.

I’m happy gaming on the TV together, he’s happy enough but he prefers playing on a desk and monitor.

Buying a whole new PC, desk, chairs etc would sting quite badly as it from memory, I spent over 2K on his last set up. He may be coming to live with me and seeing his mum here and there as opposed to the other way around as it is currently so there’s a chance that his PC could find its way back here, slim but a possibility.

So long story short, I’m looking for peoples opinions on the best way forward.

Here’s what I’m thinking.. large IKEA desk and 2 chairs with 2 monitors, maybe PS5 on one and PS4 Pro on the other.

Super Widescreen like a Samsung Odyssey G9 which would be good for his Fortnite and for split screen gaming. It also has a WOW factory look which I like.

Or continue to play on PS5 and TV, I like the idea of 1 ms input lag on monitors though but I like the comfort of lounging out as opposed to sitting on a chair really.

I guess the other option would be to have a PS5 for both TV and 1 monitor so we could game at the desk or TV.

Any input would be amazing.

Here’s the PC I built for him Christmas 2019

Razen 5 3600

MSi B450 Carbon

Corsair Vengence RGB 16GB 3600

Corsair MP 510 960 GB

Palet GeForce 1660 Super

Corsair RX750x

NZXT H510 Elite Case

AOC 27G2U Monitor

Hyper X Alloy Elite Keyboard

Roccat Kain 122 Mouse

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmm.. so 2 x PS5, desk, monitor and 2 chairs.

He prefers playing Fortnite on his PS4 so desk could be monitor and PS4.

Huge IKEA Karly desk (think that’s what it’s called) might look a bit bare with just a monitor and PS4 Pro on it. I guess I could wait and see if his PC ends up in my flat and if not, build the PC later.

Any recommendations for a monitor that would primarily be used to game on PS5, PS4 Pro and later PC?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
split screen this bad boi

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,293.05 (includes shipping: £14.10)

or on a practical note get 2 of the same equal screens and a desk

Funnily enough that’s the monitor I have my eye on. Not sure if the mega curve on it would make it difficult for both of us to game split screen on it when it comes to seating positions though.

Also not sure how compatible it is with PS5 with the 120Hz of the PS5 and it being 240Hz, then the downgrading of 4k to 1440p etc.

Sounds like I know what I’m talking about but I really don’t lol

it certainly has the wow factory covered though

Soldato
Funnily enough that’s the monitor I have my eye on. Not sure if the mega curve on it would make it difficult for both of us to game split screen on it when it comes to seating positions though.

Also not sure how compatible it is with PS5 with the 120Hz of the PS5 and it being 240Hz, then the downgrading of 4k to 1440p etc.

Sounds like I know what I’m talking about but I really don’t lol

it certainly has the wow factory covered though

the ps5 supports 4k gaming and movies going from a quick google search, but it cant do native 1440p, but the console would work with that monitor. not all curve monitors are proper curved to the point you couldnt split screen and in this instance that monitor is long, so shouldnt really be a problem.

only other alternative is not to have a single screen and use 2 identical ones, would be better gaming experience than split screening.

Associate
OP
Thanks, not sure if the PS5 is capable of split screen across 2 monitors simultaneously as in say COD split screen.

I had a quick google but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Any monitor recommendations? Either a single widescreen or 2 x 27” if I decide not to go for the G9?

Alienware 3821DW looks very nice although around the same price as the G9, likely take up a smaller footprint on a deal though, there’s the 48” CX9 too which some people seem to like as a monitor and others that have tried it have went back to a traditional monitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom