*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
There may be a bit of a language barrier/difference here, so forgive me if that's the case.

If you want to grill food ( cooked at high temp over charcoal ) then a Weber kettle is among the best you can get.

If you want to BBQ (cooked at low temp with smoke for a long period of time ) then you need an offset smoker. You just can't BBQ over direct heat like a Weber produces. Offset smokers tend to be more expensive. Over here the entry models are ~ $300 to $400 and go way up from there. Some costing several thousand dollars.

If you want to do both then you'll need one of each. Though you could grill on an offset smoker most don't like to as it can effect the 'cure' on the smoke chamber.
You are aware that kettles can function as perfectly decent low n slow cooker though right? A weber can easily be set up for indirect heat

Associate
You are aware that kettles can function as perfectly decent low n slow cooker though right? A weber can easily be set up for indirect heat

It can be done but it's nowhere near as good as an offset smoker.... not even close. Indirect is not the same as low n slow imo, and the results bear that out.

Soldato
(cooked at low temp with smoke for a long period of time )

That isnt the definition of BBQing either. The term BBQ encompasses all sorts of cooking over coals and gas outside, it isn't just confined to low n slow cooking, at least here in the UK that would be called smoking more often.
Many would disagree with your claims about offset smokers as well, bullet smokers, ugly drums or even a kamodo style are easier and cheaper to use.

Soldato
That isnt the definition of BBQing either. The term BBQ encompasses all sorts of cooking over coals and gas outside, it isn't just confined to low n slow cooking, at least here in the UK that would be called smoking more often.
Many would disagree with your claims about offset smokers as well, bullet smokers, ugly drums or even a kamodo style are easier and cheaper to use.
He did mention a language barrier (more cultural I guess) in his first sentence, so I think you're being a bit fussy. I understand the Americans's desire to distinguish between BBQ and grilling, it makes sense and it works. We just have a different convention in the UK.

Soldato
Are the Weber kettles much better than generic kettle bbq's? I guess they maintain a more stable temperature?!

Generally build quality and warranty. I've had my Master Touch for years now. It gets used all year round and is always left outside. Apart from where the missus decided to knock it over on the patio it while moving it, it looks as good as new. I had an el cheapo before this one and it didn't last long at all.

Associate
Another reason to got for the 57 over the 47 is there is a much wider range of accessories that fit the 57. There's no real advantage to the 47 as it doesn't really use any less fuel to get up to temperature.

Soldato
There's no real advantage to the 47 as it doesn't really use any less fuel to get up to temperature.
I did wonder if that was the case. I'm really attracted to low and slow cooking so I'll get a 57 - I'm trying to resist the master touch and stay with a Weber original E-5730 with enclosed ash container (can be very windy here). Just looking to see if there are any offers at the moment but a lot of places are out of stock for now.

Associate
I did wonder if that was the case. I'm really attracted to low and slow cooking so I'll get a 57 - I'm trying to resist the master touch and stay with a Weber original E-5730 with enclosed ash container (can be very windy here). Just looking to see if there are any offers at the moment but a lot of places are out of stock for now.
Ive got a 57 bar-b-kettle without the one touch system and its a pain to set the dials to the right temperature and clean it out so I'd defiantly recommend the one touch system. I dont think its worth getting the master touch unless you really want the gbs system. I just use normal cast iron pans and pizza stones direct on the grill. Ive also never found a need for the charcoal baskets and use the snake method for low and slow. Ive done pulled pork, ribs etc on mine no problem. The weber world at Riverside garden center has some deals on at the moment and is well thought of in the BBQ facebooks groups.

Soldato
I'm currently looking to get rid of another cheapish B&Q job and purchase something that will last me a good deal longer.

I think I've whittled it down to either the Weber premium 5775 or the New Kamado Joe Kettle which looks intriguing. The full Kamado Joes are too pricey for my liking so going to hold off and look for reviews on the KJ Kettle when it is released (Next month apparently),

I mainly just do the usual BBQ grill food but would like to try doing slow cooks and get the temps up for doing pizza too. Any thoughts on those two?

Soldato
Ive got a 57 bar-b-kettle without the one touch system and its a pain to set the dials to the right temperature and clean it out so I'd defiantly recommend the one touch system. I dont think its worth getting the master touch unless you really want the gbs system.

Ah thanks for that, I did wonder what the practical advantages were. The differences appear minor but seem to make a lot of difference for quality of life like cleaning, maintaining temp, etc.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom