Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I always seem to have issues whenever i've tried cheap "Smart" stuff, from Plugs, to bulbs.

What App do those use? I think most of the cheap stuff i tried used something called Tuya and it never detected any devices.

Tuya make a huge amount of smart things. They sell a rebranding service where you (well, a company) can have a skinned app / product created for you. A lot of the less known brand names on Amazon are probably using them. A nice tip is that you should be able to use the official Tuya app even with the rebadged devices. Their official app should be more up to date.

I had a complete pain getting mine to pair until I realised there's two pair modes on their smart switches at least; AP mode and quick pair (EZ) mode.

AP mode basically has the device - say the plug - set-up a new wifi access point. Your phone and the app sees the access point, connects to it, tells it how to connect to your main wifi etc, then the access point gets turned off and you're good to go.

EZ mode basically means the app broadcasts a UDP packet containing your wifi settings in the hope the plug sees it then configures its self.

If you hold the power on (/pair) button down on the plug for around 5 seconds the LED will start blinking. I forget the timings but if it's flashing fast I think that's EZ mode (say twice a second), and if it's flashing slower (say once a second or two) it's in AP mode.

AP mode is the one that worked for me.

Caporegime
Tuya make a huge amount of smart things. They sell a rebranding service where you (well, a company) can have a skinned app / product created for you. A lot of the less known brand names on Amazon are probably using them. A nice tip is that you should be able to use the official Tuya app even with the rebadged devices. Their official app should be more up to date.

I had a complete pain getting mine to pair until I realised there's two pair modes on their smart switches at least; AP mode and quick pair (EZ) mode.

AP mode basically has the device - say the plug - set-up a new wifi access point. Your phone and the app sees the access point, connects to it, tells it how to connect to your main wifi etc, then the access point gets turned off and you're good to go.

EZ mode basically means the app broadcasts a UDP packet containing your wifi settings in the hope the plug sees it then configures its self.

If you hold the power on (/pair) button down on the plug for around 5 seconds the LED will start blinking. I forget the timings but if it's flashing fast I think that's EZ mode (say twice a second), and if it's flashing slower (say once a second or two) it's in AP mode.

AP mode is the one that worked for me.

Making sure router is set to 2.4 and then back to mixed is what I had to do for them. They do work fine in the end (smart life mine is, but the same thing).

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Making sure router is set to 2.4 and then back to mixed is what I had to do for them. They do work fine in the end (smart life mine is, but the same thing).

Ah. I run separate 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID because my house likes to eat 5Ghz signals so it's sometimes easier to just drop down to a stable 2.4 if I need it.

The reason they don't tend to support 5Ghz is they're often made using cheap esp8266 wifi chips. Cheap as in price, they're about £2 in a basic form. They're excellent little chips performance wise.

They're actually more powerful than an Arduino (80Hz vs 16Hz) and cost the same, have a few GPIOs, and Wifi built in, and you can program them with Arduino code without needing an Arduino. Bonus.

I actually bought one the other day to play around with to pair with a little ~£3 ultrasonic hc-sr04 sensor. The plan is to use it to detect if the water in my pond drops too low and alert me (it has a slow leak, can't find it). Apparently they do 2cm-400cm range so I should be good :D.

Soldato
Yealink T55A. I'm kicking off a project to move one of our European businesses over to Teams telephony so I thought I may as well be a guinea pig so have started with my home office number. It's up and running with a temporary number until my number ports over.

N8aEH26.jpg

Soldato
Yealink T55A. I'm kicking off a project to move one of our European businesses over to Teams telephony so I thought I may as well be a guinea pig so have started with my home office number. It's up and running with a temporary number until my number ports over.

N8aEH26.jpg
What is that thing? Some kind of flat headphone calculator?

Back
Top Bottom