Electric (battery) lawn mower spec

Caporegime
Yeah yeah I know, 'why electric', 'get petrol'.

I'm after an electric battery driven lawn mower, garden isn't massive, but I also don't want to be running a cable back and forth.

I've seen this crop up in various places, the Worx WG779e (https://www.worx-uk.com/shop/garden-tools/lawn-mowers/worx-40v-2x20v-cordless-lawn-mower-wg779e-2/) but it seems to be not in stock anywhere.

I couldn't tell you the exact size of the lawn, maybe 38m2 (probably wrong), that's just looking online at google maps but it doesn't show the garden properly as its a new build.

Anyway, any thoughts welcome, budgets probably about £200 give or take, hence why the Worx one seems decent enough.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
In on this! My new garden will be too big for a cable and I already have makita batteries. Presumable the makita lawnmower (~£150) is the sensible choice?

Thanks.

If you're already in the Makita eco system it might be worth going down that route.

Have a read up on them though, decide on what you need etc. etc.

Associate
I've got that Worx mower, had it for 2years. Hasn't put a foot wrong. It's quiet and light. My lawn is about 50m², which is easily does on a single charge.

I got mine in a bundle with the strimmer which was oddly cheaper than buying either individually, worth looking to see if that is still a thing!

Caporegime
OP
I've got that Worx mower, had it for 2years. Hasn't put a foot wrong. It's quiet and light. My lawn is about 50m², which is easily does on a single charge.

I got mine in a bundle with the strimmer which was oddly cheaper than buying either individually, worth looking to see if that is still a thing!

I've seen it but can't find this model in stock! Think Amazon has it for April, so may need to do that and hope the garden doesn't go nuts

Associate
The worx mower + strimmer and two batteries pack is in stock at Argos for £200 as far as I can see.

It's not quite the same product as the example you gave, but it is the one I have. Main difference is the smaller battery capacity (2Ahr each rather than 4) but works fine for my lawn.

Caporegime
OP
I went for a Greenworks 40V Mower - has been excellent!

Thanks, shall take a look :)

The worx mower + strimmer and two batteries pack is in stock at Argos for £200 as far as I can see.

It's not quite the same product as the example you gave, but it is the one I have. Main difference is the smaller battery capacity (2Ahr each rather than 4) but works fine for my lawn.

Okay, so technically has a smaller run time, I'll do some reading

We bought the Ferrex one from Aldi last year and it's brilliant.
It was that good I bought into nearly all their tools that run on the same batteries and I've put my main 'named' power tools in storage.
In fact I made a thread on here about them.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/anybody-else-who-uses-aldi-ferrex-tools.18907971/

Nice one, I'll have a gander at that as well!

Soldato
Caporegime
OP
Take a look at STIHL battery tools, you can share the battery across the range.

Yeah, currently I have no tools...Well, I have a small Black and Decker Cordless drill just to see me through the initial house move.

I'll need to read up on it and see how it fairs.

That's cabled isn't it? :)

@Delvis the one you linked to is the 2x2.0Ah model.

The 2x4.0Ah model is in stock, albeit more money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WG779E-1-Cordless-Mower-Batteries/dp/B086R47CJH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

The Argos 2x2.0Ah version with trimmer is better value / cheaper than the equivalent amazon options anyway unless you want the more powerful batteries.

Awesome thanks for the heads up, no real reason for wanting that one, just its the one I read about...Technically if I get a strimmer as well that will be good (assume that doesn't come with a separate battery / only needs one?, which would be a pain as you'll not want the batteries at different charge levels in the mower)

Edit: I must have looked up the model number originally and not looked at the battery types, thanks.

Edit 2: the argos one is a slightly different model, i'll need to compare again.

Another vote for this, does my 150m2 on a charge easy enough and the 40V strimmer can be found cheap and uses same battery

Cool thanks, the only thing that would put me off that one is the deck is plastic, steels better, apparently. I probably wouldn't notice mind :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Dammit, wrong one linked to! It's the Bosch Rotak 34 LI - exactly the same, but with a battery rather than a cable!

Haha no worries! :)

I may go for my original choice (Worx), I can then always go into their eco system if I want to.

Having said that various people saying the 2.0Ah one sometimes doesn't do a full lawn, so tempted to pay slightly more for the 4's.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Delvis the one you linked to is the 2x2.0Ah model.

The 2x4.0Ah model is in stock, albeit more money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WG779E-1-Cordless-Mower-Batteries/dp/B086R47CJH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

The Argos 2x2.0Ah version with trimmer is better value / cheaper than the equivalent amazon options anyway unless you want the more powerful batteries.

I can recommend WORX, I've just bought this which is excellent - https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WG620...rds=worx+jet+wash&qid=1614854143&s=diy&sr=1-4

The reason I bought WORX being such a big Ferrex fanboy is because the Ferrex jetwasher comes with a battery that is unique to it and you can't buy spares.

Back
Top Bottom