GE66 Raider

Associate
OP
Everything's arrived, just need to get myself home from offshore still got a whole week to wait, already making up a list of all the games i want to try replaying with better graphics. anyone else replayed games and noticed a big difference? top is GTA5 i completed it a few years ago and never played it since

Soldato
was going to say I was still having problems undervolting the cpu as it was jumping from .8v to 1.2v without doing anything, and that throttlestop was acting odd (put it to great use on my desktop btw) but today I noticed bios 1.08 was released yesterday so have just installed that and now throttlestop is hovering around 0.8v with only minor fluctuations

Associate
was going to say I was still having problems undervolting the cpu as it was jumping from .8v to 1.2v without doing anything, and that throttlestop was acting odd (put it to great use on my desktop btw) but today I noticed bios 1.08 was released yesterday so have just installed that and now throttlestop is hovering around 0.8v with only minor fluctuations

Ah good, so working as it should then now?

@David Flett - Yeah you will, I'm coming from a 1070 which is still a decent enough gfx card but I've been really impressed by by the framerates I'm getting from the 3070 in the GE66. I've gone from struggling to get a solid 60fps at ultra in many games, to now pushing out over 100fps on the same settings.

Associate
latest Timespy run, but this time with cooler boost fans on throughout and the laptop placed on a stand to elevate the back (no extra fans).

kVR9dDe.png

-50mV undervolt to CPU core/cache and a +100mHz core/+400mHz memory overclock to the gfx card.

Temps were very good throughout, GPU didn't get higher than 58/59 centigrade and the CPU maxed out at 85 centigrade during the CPU stress test.

V3FgTg1.png

Think I'll leave it at that as any further gains with be very marginal!

Soldato
How does the 2021 GE66 compare to last years model?

Are the speakers improved?
Is the underside of the chassis still a cheap soft yet brittle feeling plastic?
Does the keyboard have anymore key travel? It felt extremely shallow last year.

I’m considering this or the Razer Blade Pro 17 to replace the Strix Scar 17 that has some issues.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
My CPU seems to sit at 70 degrees quite a lot? I'm only downloading games from steam. I've upgraded my M.2 and ram would that be effecting anything?

Associate
OP
Bit of an easy fix maybe not having a laptop for a few months I'm out of touch. I clicked the battery icon and moved it down to the middle setting or even the battery saving notch, the very first one, now I'm sitting at a constant 38-40 idling and 50 installing games.
Which settings are you guys on in dragon Centre? Something I deleted in my last laptop.
I'm on balanced at the moment and game mode on

Edit

Was running out of battery so plugged in and straight back up to 70 degrees again, unplugged to check, right back down to 50

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of an easy fix maybe not having a laptop for a few months I'm out of touch. I clicked the battery icon and moved it down to the middle setting or even the battery saving notch, the very first one, now I'm sitting at a constant 38-40 idling and 50 installing games.
Which settings are you guys on in dragon Centre? Something I deleted in my last laptop.
I'm on balanced at the moment and game mode on

Edit

Was running out of battery so plugged in and straight back up to 70 degrees again, unplugged to check, right back down to 50

What are you using to monitor the temps so I can do like for like for you

Associate
OP
I've been playing about with it all day I've closed all apps I the background that seemed to help a bit but still a little hotter than I'd like. I'm using open hardware monitor and task manager always seems to be a difference between them all. I've tried it again while downloading from steam.
Plugged in, unplugged, on battery saver mode and then performance mode.
Was sitting at 47 doing nothing plugged in.
65 on full battery power downloading
59 on battery saver mode downloading
66 plugged in downloading

Maybe just runs hot?

miMFfs0.jpg
HZf4I3y.jpg
t0nIajv.jpg
wJlUVNk.jpg

Soldato
I've just checked mine when I first turned it on and opened Dragon Centre it was upto 60C, but leaving it to settle its dropped down to between 41-43C with 2% load, gpu is also at 43C. I've disabled the integrated gpu and it is plugged in using Balanced power mode

Associate
OP
Thanks for taking time to look, Did disabling integrated gpu help any? How do you do that? Does your cpu jump up if you click the battery In the tray and slide the slider to best performance? I'm downloading just now its sitting at 43 and will jump to 70 if I move the slider right up. If I plug in it goes between 48/50

Soldato
Disabled it via dragon centre, the general settins part, not sure if it made any difference or not can try again, it does seem to spike briefly if I unplug and then plug back in but only to about 50C, having said that loooking at the min/ max temps mines got as high as 66C so its not that different tbh

Associate
OP
Just finished installing all my games and gave them all a quick 5 mins to get all the initial first time install preparations done and apart from death stranding where it automatically went on to extreme performance mode and fans went wild everything stayed at like 60 degrees so pretty happy with that. I'll have a play about tomorrow with all the settings, just quickly put everything on ultra for a look. Graphics are unreal

Associate
Just finished installing all my games and gave them all a quick 5 mins to get all the initial first time install preparations done and apart from death stranding where it automatically went on to extreme performance mode and fans went wild everything stayed at like 60 degrees so pretty happy with that. I'll have a play about tomorrow with all the settings, just quickly put everything on ultra for a look. Graphics are unreal

If you think the fans are wild with extreme performance mode, you should turn on cooler boost and see what that's like lol :p

Back
Top Bottom