• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX6700XT announcement event

Soldato
Bahahahaha -$479 for an entry level card that's the same performance as a ps5/Xbox Wow

Entry level pc gamers go buy a console don't support this rort

Soldato
So according to Linus. AMD will not want to release their upscaling tech till it also works on consoles and all RDNA cards.

Seems like AMD wants their solution (or their chosen buzzword) to be the de facto standard in gaming. Let's see how this goes.

Associate
You're not wrong man, when the entire Xbox console with 52CU's is on equal pricing with this then something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Jedi, you do realise consoles are massively subsidised by the big company's?
It probably costs a lot more to build. They are not making profits on these consoles.
You cant compare the two.

did they mention what the hash rate was?

5700xt pulls 55mh/s @ 150W
6700xt guess -----> 60mh/s @ 162W
6800xt pulls 64mh/s @ 175W

Soldato
The problem is anything under a Ryzen 7 3700X is slower than a console CPU,especially the XBox Series X one. If you are on older CPU,especially a 4C one,then its going to start being an issue increasingly over the next few years.
Nope that's totally wrong. The CPU on the next gen consoles is based on a mobile sku which makes it slower than even a Ryzen 1700. Hardwarenexus recently showcased how a Ryzen 3300 destroys the ps5 CPU. Consoles are always about cutting corners.

I know this stock problem is unprecedented and is making people angry but buying a console is not the answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope that's totally wrong. The CPU on the next gen consoles is based on a mobile sku which makes it slower than even a Ryzen 1700. Hardwarenexus recently showcased how a Ryzen 3300 destroys the ps5 CPU. Consoles are always about cutting corners.

I know this stock problem is unprecedented and is making people angry but buying a console is not the answer.
So 8 zen 2 cores running at 3.5 GHz is as fast as a 1700. I want to hear you elaborate on this.

You didn't understand that video if you think that a 3300 destroys the CPU in the PS5 in raw performance

Associate
Having acquired a PS5 and an RX6800 in the last few months I have to say I incredibly impressed with the visual fidelity and power of the PS5 (am sure the Series X is similar) its above what my vega 56 and 3700x Could do. I love PC gaming and my 6800 is fab but don't write off these new consoles they really are great.

Soldato
OP

The last generation had 8 Atom class cores,and a Core i5 7600K went from king of the hill to being even beaten in many games by a slower per core Ryzen 5 1600. Remember how the Ryzen 5 1600 was thrashed by the Core i5 7600K?? The Core i5 7600K has better single core performance. Not so much now.

Now 6C/12T is what is required for optimal PC gaming,not 4C/4T.

So that alone has proven you wrong.

So,do you think that with 8C Zen2 cores at nearly 4GHZ,and access to a GDDR6 bus(which is far more than paltry DDR4),a Ryzen 3 3300X based on the same cores,etc is going to produce better results for the next 5 years? Seriously? Have you not looked at some newer games where the Ryzen 5 3600,etc are starting to look more consistent,despite the greater latency of the latter??

You do realise the desktop version of the Zen2 APUs have been tested,and core for core are at worse around 10~15% slower in single core performance(6C/12T Ryzen 5 4650G vs Ryzen 5 3600) on account of the reduced amount of L3 cache and a bit lower clockspeeds??

Also that video was a load of nonsense. They on purpose tested the slower of the two consoles,ie,not the XBox Series X which has a faster CPU and GPU.

You can tell that by them chopping and changing hardware and not testing a Ryzen 5 3600,etc. All current console games are made for the last generation so all new generation ones are basically improved versions of the last generation.

They have not even scratched the surface. That Gamersnexus article was very poorly elaborated on. They tried DMC5 special edition - which is an enhanced version of the version on the PS4 AND PC.The PC version like the PS4 actually has worse image quality too,so the PS5 had a greater load. Even the other games all launched on previous generation consoles,and are made for GCN1.2 and Jagaur cores on the console builds.

To put it in context - put on your thinking cap for a second. Do you honestly think that even an RX5700XT and a Ryzen 7 4700Uwould be slower than a Ryzen 3 3300X and a GTX1060 as they tried to show?? Because,both a PS5/XBox Series X have much faster GPUs,and probably similar speed CPUs.

Do you make a promise that a Ryzen 3 3300X and a GTX1060 will be faster than a PS5 for the next 5 years?? Or the XBox Series X?? I doubt you can.

Last edited:
Soldato
The last generation had 8 Atom class cores,and a Core i5 7600K went from king of the hill to being even beaten in many games by a slower per core Ryzen 5 1600. Remember how the Ryzen 5 1600 was thrashed by the Core i5 7600K?? The Core i5 7600K has better single core performance. Not so much now.

Now 6C/12T is what is required for optimal PC gaming,not 4C/4T.

So that alone has proven you wrong.

So,do you think that with 8C Zen2 cores at nearly 4GHZ,and access to a GDDR6 bus(which is far more than paltry DDR4),a Ryzen 3 3300X based on the same cores,etc is going to produce better results for the next 5 years? Seriously? Have you not looked at some newer games where the Ryzen 5 3600,etc are starting to look more consistent,despite the greater latency of the latter??

You do realise the desktop version of the Zen2 APUs have been tested,and core for core are at worse around 10~15% slower in single core performance(6C/12T Ryzen 5 4650G vs Ryzen 5 3600) on account of the reduced amount of L3 cache and a bit lower clockspeeds??

Also that video was a load of nonsense. They on purpose tested the slower of the two consoles,ie,not the XBox Series X which has a faster CPU and GPU.

You can tell that by them chopping and changing hardware and not testing a Ryzen 5 3600,etc. All current console games are made for the last generation so all new generation ones are basically improved versions of the last generation.

They have not even scratched the surface. That Gamersnexus article was very poorly elaborated on. They tried DMC5 special edition - which is an enhanced version of the version on the PS4 AND PC.The PC version like the PS4 actually has worse image quality too,so the PS5 had a greater load. Even the other games all launched on previous generation consoles,and are made for GCN1.2 and Jagaur cores on the console builds.

To put it in context - put on your thinking cap for a second. Do you honestly think that even an RX5700XT and a Ryzen 7 4700Uwould be slower than a Ryzen 3 3300X and a GTX1060 as they tried to show?? Because,both a PS5/XBox Series X have much faster GPUs,and probably similar speed CPUs.

Do you make a promise that a Ryzen 3 3300X and a GTX1060 will be faster than a PS5 for the next 5 years?? Or the XBox Series X?? I doubt you can.
They tested a CPU limited scenario. Next gen consoles are more powerful than a 1060 and are equivalent to a 5700xt. So yeah any 6-core Ryzen or above plus a 5700xt/2070 super will be enough if you only care about matching consoles.

Permabanned
Having acquired a PS5 and an RX6800 in the last few months I have to say I incredibly impressed with the visual fidelity and power of the PS5 (am sure the Series X is similar) its above what my vega 56 and 3700x Could do. I love PC gaming and my 6800 is fab but don't write off these new consoles they really are great.

They tested a CPU limited scenario. Next gen consoles are more powerful than a 1060 and are equivalent to a 5700xt. So yeah any 6-core Ryzen or above plus a 5700xt/2070 super will be enough if you only care about matching consoles.

Consoles hardware and PC hardware cannot be compared like apples to apples because the programming interfaces are different and the consoles are more efficient.
You can play at 4K@120 on a console, while the PC hardware unless the top end will struggle even at 4K@30 or 4K@60.

Soldato

The upcoming ML upscaling will be a game changer for consoles. The Pc master race have always put down consoles due to the checkerboard rendering/resolution scaling but will have to shutup since FidelityDXSR will be doing the same kind of thing as DLSS.

Soldato
OP

Nope.

The GPUs are faster. The Xbox series X CPU has far more TFLOPs and memory bandwidth than a RX5700XT. The PS5 GPU is basically RDNA1.5 and has higher clockspeeds than an RX5700XT.

They have IPC improvements,support newer versions of DX12,have mesh shaders,VRS,etc. The last two alone can give decent performance improvements.

So GN trying to imply a GTX1060 is faster is false - even an RX5700XT is worse off,especially as the consoles are made to work as close to peak clockspeed as possible. I have a GTX1080 and a PS5 certainly looks to have a faster GPU.The XBox Series X even has a faster GPU.

Also again,compare a Core i5 7600K to the Jaguar cores of the previous generation. You are looking at easily a 3X single core improvement. Yet despite this,a Core i5 7600K is now worse in many games than a Ryzen 5 1600 which is worse in single core performance.

That happened in 3 years. Now PC games really make use of 12T even when there was a 8T console. The gap between consoles and PCs are far less than before,so I don't think a Ryzen 5 3600 will be as long lived as a Ryzen 7 3700X.

The test is a bit rubbish though - all those titles are last generation titles run in compatibility mode. Those console builds are made with Jaguar in mind,and have probably not much Zen optimisations.

So they are barely using the CPUs on the consoles. It happens EVERY new generation launch - techsites make the wrong assumptions,and forget all the intergenerational titles are basically improved versions of the previous ones. Don't believe me?? Look at HZD on last generation and compare it to the intergenerational titles,and you will see how much more taxing it is on the CPU.

DF even did a longterm test,and found their PC equivalent build at the start of the last console generation which seemed similar fell behind more and more over time.

Laptop CPUs have very low base clockspeeds. The console SOCs are fixed at between 3.5GHZ~3.8GHZ,so in many cases laptop CPUs under heavy load will throttle to much lower clockspeeds. Its why both consoles have a ton of cooling and are so large.

When you start looking at benchmarks,and realise at worse something like a desktop Ryzen 5 4650G despite less L3 cache,and generally worse realworld clockspeeds,is barely 10~15% slower in the worst case scenario core for core. But it also does not take into consideration,the console SOCs don't need as much L3 cache as they are connected to a GDDR6 bus.Its one thing saying a Ryzen 5 5600X might do better,but a Ryzen 5 3600 for the most part won't be better,and certain no Zen part will be faster,because Zen2 introduced a decent IPC improvement.

You will see how old the Gamersnexus article will look in 2 years time. A Ryzen 3 3300X and even a GTX1080 won't be that comparable in newer titles.

Last edited:
Associate
Consoles hardware and PC hardware cannot be compared like apples to apples because the programming interfaces are different and the consoles are more efficient.
You can play at 4K@120 on a console, while the PC hardware unless the top end will struggle even at 4K@30 or 4K@60.

Totally agree but this time its really nice to have some really powerful hardware in them compared to those slow Jaguars and low end GPUs. I loved my PS4 Pro but it really struggled with a lot of things, even when it was brand new it never felt cutting edge whereas this time around I have genuinely been blown away (spiderman, demons souls and replaying lots of PS4 games as they were meant to be played), Wont be getting an xbox this time round as gamepass on PC will give me those games.

I know some are struggling to get new GPUs and consoles but so glad I am a gamer :)

Soldato
Totally agree but this time its really nice to have some really powerful hardware in them compared to those slow Jaguars and low end GPUs. I loved my PS4 Pro but it really struggled with a lot of things, even when it was brand new it never felt cutting edge whereas this time around I have genuinely been blown away (spiderman, demons souls and replaying lots of PS4 games as they were meant to be played), Wont be getting an xbox this time round as gamepass on PC will give me those games.

I know some are struggling to get new GPUs and consoles but so glad I am a gamer :)
With demon souls as the opening title for these consoles it will be interesting to see how far graphics will go once the consoles really start to stretch their legs.

Back
Top Bottom