Retro console and games thread

Associate
God that NES brings back memories. My (rich) mate had one of these at launch. His old man was a high ranking US serviceman, so he got an import - Playing Duck Hunt and Mario for the first time; 1987-88? My parents never agreed with video games so I only ever witnessed games owned by my mates. The same friend often got those miniature steam engines (which have little boilers) and chugged away on proper steam power. :eek:

Agree with Steve5424, the NES looks in amazing condition and quite the collectible.

Associate
Is in very good condition, just need to buy some good games for it, never had one back in the day so need to research whats worth getting.

Picked this up earlier in the week aswell to add to Dreamcast collection

dWLVR1Nm.jpg

Associate
Just added a mcwill 2021 game gear to the collection fully recapped aswell, the picture quailty is amazing, wasn't cheap but totally worth it as i have fond memories of the game gear :)

156800943-230812825415334-8946304597439054449-n.jpg

157109203-425939528696189-8462198330813139819-n.jpg

Soldato
I've just bought a PS1 to mod, it's got this chip soldered in on the underside of the motherboard, is this a mod chip for playing copied games or something? Should I be ok in just removing it, or is it likely something else will have been done on the console to get it to function? Thanks.

ZYiGS0Z.jpg

Don
I've just bought a PS1 to mod, it's got this chip soldered in on the underside of the motherboard, is this a mod chip for playing copied games or something? Should I be ok in just removing it, or is it likely something else will have been done on the console to get it to function? Thanks.

Looks like it is a mod chip - similar wiring in the video linked on this page:
hackaday.com/2020/11/01/burning-your-own-ps1-modchip-is-easy/

Soldato
My retro collection has grown again. I somehow got hooked on PS1 games recently (Tekken 2,3 and Tomb Raider 2). I was using one of my old PS2s but was curious as to how it would look on the original hardware...

This came today and is in ‘as new’ condition, very happy. Sadly I’m still waiting for my RGC RGB cable to turn up so I can try it out. Quite surprised how well made and solid it feels, even the controller feels so much better than my PS2 items.

I can see more PS1 games coming. Any suggestions?

Soldato
Wipeout 2097 was amazing on the PS1. Resident Evil 1 as well. The original tomb raider maybe?

Ah yes, Wipeout. I do remember that being quite good, I’ll take a look. RE1s not a bad shout also, I already have 2 for the Dreamcast but only vague memories of the first one.

I think I’ll give TR1 a miss though, playing TR2 without the use of the analog sticks is quite hard - I’ve no idea how I managed this back in the day. Guess once you get used to it, it’s hard to go back. Shame.

I’ve got GT2 and Spyro coming soon, hopefully they are less challenging than I remember.

Associate
Wipeout 2097 is awesome, to this day I think the best racing game, never bettered. Exhumed was good on the PS, not quiet as good as the Saturn but still a great game. Final Fantasy 7 & 8 and Rage Racer are worth picking up too.

Soldato
Colony Wars
The original Need for Speed
Return Fire
Ridge Racer Type 4 (TBH any of the ridge racer games)
Destruction Derby
Twisted Metal
PONG
Micro Maniacs (double pack of this and V3 for £8 BIN on the bay at the moment)
Micro Machines V3
Street Fighter EX+ Alpha
Cyber Sled
Circuit Breakers
TOCA world touring cars
Dave Mirra BMX
Porsche Challenge
Time Crisis
Speed Freaks
Soul Blade
True Pinball
Rapid Racer

......ok I need to stop now before I start spending money. I forgot all the fantastic games that were on that console! some amazing CD soundtracks in there too!

Soldato
Posted this in another thread but think its better suited here!

Working on a small trolley with a CRT and old consoles to wheel in and out as I don't have space for it to stay as a dedicated set up these days :)

Cable management is going to be the challenge, so far so good but only got the PS2 up at the mo. More tonight

PXL-20210329-194309034.jpg

PXL-20210329-202804211.jpg

PXL-20210329-201432881.jpg

Have since added a GameCube to the bottom shelf and would like to squeeze the Megadrive and N64 in some how.

Have used it a fair bit already. From being boxed up to now being able to pull it in and out easily when need arises :)

Currently playing through Silent hill 3

Associate
Bit of a mess really. US SNES NTSC running Jpn Super Mario Allstars. Next to that is a knock-off SNES Jnr - runs in PAL mode. Below that, a TecToy console - a Sega licensed Megadrive. This is an unusual one as it runs in PAL-M which was the Brazilian TV standard back in the analogue days. This standard is System M (which is what they used as part of their NTSC TV system at 525/60, ,but with PAL colour encoding). Thankfully the Sony TV accepts PAL-M through it's composite input, as well as PAL and NTSC, and maybe Secam too?

IMG-20210402-134553.jpg

Soldato
I've been thinking of playing a bit more PS2 and Dreamcast and it seems most Dreamcast games have become "not dirt cheap" anymore on eBay!

One of the main things that puts me off my PS2 is the loud fan on my fat PS2. I'm thinking of just getting one of the slim models. Is there any reason why the fat one is better? I've found a slim PS2 and 18 games (and they're not garbage games) for £40 which I'm thinking about going for.

Soldato
Slim ones usually work... or at least read game discs

Fat ones you can very easily mod to run the games off a HDD, the slim ones I don't think have the controller to do it unless you get the first rev and fancy soldering into the ATA controller.

The last two PS2's I've picked up were in the £20 odd mark with no games (fat with firewire rev and a silver fat, both played dvd's surprisingly) so £40 with 18 games evens out as a quid a game which isn't too shabby, especially if some are good

Soldato
Tbh the slim PS2 consoles are no worse, I think they are maybe harder to mod chip and you can't put a hdd in them? Might make them less sought after?

Slim ones usually work... or at least read game discs
To be honest the only thing I really care about is reliability and it being much quieter than my fat PS2! I emulate on my PC using my real PS2 disks if I want to do something that my normal PS2 can't do but there is still charm and appeal in using my actual PS2!

Back
Top Bottom