** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
Thinking it may have been deemed a tad dangerous to approach so they pushed a button.

I think they ran out of water sadly, there was definitely a leak from the bottom and when the water turned off, about 60 seconds later it went up. There was a fire ongoing I think on the side that it was leaning on, and when you freeze frame the explosion started at the bottom on the side that was crumpled.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well, I don't think that one is going in a museum!

Impressive though SpaceX, impressive!

Man of Honour
I think they ran out of water sadly, there was definitely a leak from the bottom and when the water turned off, about 60 seconds later it went up. There was a fire ongoing I think on the side that it was leaning on, and when you freeze frame the explosion started at the bottom on the side that was crumpled.

They fired up the fire suppression system again after they rapidly burnt off all the excess fuel *cough*

Maybe keeping the fire down while the methane leaked out was taking too suppressant or would take too long so they decided to allow it to kaboom?

I mean...it took off, it flew up, it came back down, it landed and it stayed landed for a few minutes.

Good enough.

:D

Then took off again. Landing wasn't so good that time.

Soldato
Looks like it only landed on one engine. 3 lit for the final flip, then one cuts out as expected, immediately followed by a second. Not sure if their engine cutoff procedure was wrong and incorrectly shut 2 engines down, or if one correctly shut down and one failed. Time will tell.

x4wqGT4.jpg

xRsX8JX.jpg

gaf8CHd.jpg

Caporegime
Looks like it only landed on one engine. 3 lit for the final flip, then one cuts out as expected, immediately followed by a second. Not sure if their engine cutoff procedure was wrong and incorrectly shut 2 engines down, or if one correctly shut down and one failed. Time will tell.
Guy on the SpaceX feed said one engine landing was planned.

Associate
Just watched the landing that was caught on the labpadre nerdle camera. The landing legs dropped but some or all failed to lock into place. They were swinging back and forth as starship touched down.

Soldato
:eek: :eek: :D

That looks 99% successful.

Legs didn't deploy or collapsed entirely... and is on fire. :eek:

[edit]

Can see the little landing legs deploy on the SpaceX feed, and also shows the landing to be a little rough. But damn it... it's down and substantially less disassembled than SN8 and SN9

It landed hard, not hard enough to explode but it hit the ground, then bounced up slightly and hit the ground again. So velocity was not 0 at the point of impact to the energy transfer was pushed back through the rocket - the rocket may have sustained some damage on this landing. The fire is normal on engine cutoffs

Soldato
That shot from underneath as it was flipping to land was some proper looks like CGI from a sci-fi moment. Pity about it joining it’s brothers after a few mins but it looks like they won’t have to see too many more obliterated before one sticks the landing properly.

Soldato
Bit dissappointed with myself, after the abort I gave up for the night and watched telly and missed it. The BBC version of the SpaceX stream was ace though. Just waiting for Everday Astornaut or Marcus House to get their video out hopefully with boom attached.

Back
Top Bottom