NEW MSI B550 UNIFY better than X570 UNIFY??

Soldato
Yeh im sure i read that one of the holes was in the wrong place maybe im going more mad than normal lol so all 9 holes in mb line up correctly with standoffs
ya not a one missing or mis-aligned.

the one near the VRM and next to the EPS connector is a pain to get in. the VRM heatsink is so big you cant see the hole, and it is usually in the corner of the case as well. so it is like threading a needle, there is not a lot of space or wiggle room. if you loose the screw you will need to take the board out to get that screw out as it often falls into the bottom through the gap at the edge. I made the mistake of doing the easy screws first and left that one last.

Soldato

the one near the VRM and next to the EPS connector is a pain to get in. the VRM heatsink is so big you cant see the hole, and it is usually in the corner of the case as well. so it is like threading a needle, there is not a lot of space or wiggle room. if you loose the screw you will need to take the board out to get that screw out as it often falls into the bottom through the gap at the edge. I made the mistake of doing the easy screws first and left that one last.
Cheers for taking the time to answer me and thanks for the advice about the screw at top

Soldato

Hi again are you useing lan or wireless with this board mate and what are your thoughts on it

Soldato
Hi again are you useing lan or wireless with this board mate and what are your thoughts on it
using Lan to connect to my network switch and using wireless (bluetooth) for my keyboard and mouse etc.

my LAN port dropped actitivity for a couple of days where the uplink was gimped at 1mbps not sure why. i switched over to wireless and it was fine.

since the latest bios update, i have not had any issues. the LAN goes at full pelt or as fast as my plex server HDD can cope with it.

not done extensive wireless testing other than the fact that my keybard and mouse have not dropped out at all. solid connection. I was using wireless on an ASUS B550 board, that wireless kept on dropping out and having to reconnect even tho the keyboard and mouse is right next to the wireless atenna.

Soldato
using Lan to connect to my network switch and using wireless (bluetooth) for my keyboard and mouse etc.

my LAN port dropped actitivity for a couple of days where the uplink was gimped at 1mbps not sure why. i switched over to wireless and it was fine.

since the latest bios update, i have not had any issues. the LAN goes at full pelt or as fast as my plex server HDD can cope with it.

not done extensive wireless testing other than the fact that my keybard and mouse have not dropped out at all. solid connection. I was using wireless on an ASUS B550 board, that wireless kept on dropping out and having to reconnect even tho the keyboard and mouse is right next to the wireless atenna.
Thanks mate it was the lan i was concerned about been realtek heard there were issues with it but suppossed to be fixed with latest driver and the wireless like you say is suppossed to be excellent thanks for answering my questions cheers

Associate
Thanks mate it was the lan i was concerned about been realtek heard there were issues with it but suppossed to be fixed with latest driver and the wireless like you say is suppossed to be excellent thanks for answering my questions cheers

ya I couldnt decide what mb to get based on many issues like the above - asus b550-e or xe talked about dropping usb etc and 2.5 lan problems msi 2.5 gig lan problems ... turns out could be an issue with pcie 4 and the implementation (as far as the usb goes) ... I still havnt fully set up my system yet; still need a new gpu (I have been too picky on which model and the price) - now I would be happy with just something new.

I wanted to get both my systems up and running with 1 gpu; but cant seem to get my intel igpu working with my dvi monitor (tried everything) works with a hdmi monitor but my wife has 'confiscated' that one.

Soldato
ya I couldnt decide what mb to get based on many issues like the above - asus b550-e or xe talked about dropping usb etc and 2.5 lan problems msi 2.5 gig lan problems ... turns out could be an issue with pcie 4 and the implementation (as far as the usb goes) ... I still havnt fully set up my system yet; still need a new gpu (I have been too picky on which model and the price) - now I would be happy with just something new.

I wanted to get both my systems up and running with 1 gpu; but cant seem to get my intel igpu working with my dvi monitor (tried everything) works with a hdmi monitor but my wife has 'confiscated' that one.
Thanks for the input mate hope you get your system up and running soon

Soldato
@alex h if you are worried about LAN you can always get an intel 1GB PCIE card for like £20 that should be dual port as well. X570 got loads of lanes to spare.
Yeh had thought about that myself mate it's for my daughter and spoke to her and she uses wireless anyway so doesn't really matter now as long as the boards solid no cold boots etc which I take it is

Associate
So ...

I'm after a new motherboard as I have somehow got thermal paste in the socket of my MSI x570-a pro. I want triple M.2 at least (these things have a way of proliferating). Has anyone got the B550 Unify? Is it great? The alternative really is the X570 unify, which seems like it basically offers exactly the same.

Associate
So ...

I'm after a new motherboard as I have somehow got thermal paste in the socket of my MSI x570-a pro. I want triple M.2 at least (these things have a way of proliferating). Has anyone got the B550 Unify? Is it great? The alternative really is the X570 unify, which seems like it basically offers exactly the same.

Check the thread, although I blabber on about my build I'm jealous you get the board for 67 cheaper then I paid just over a month ago.

I like my board, although you might have VRM noise.

I havnt done any ocing at all. Still working out some kinks with my build like needing a new gpu and I think my ram drive or compatibility issue is causing bsod.

Associate
Thanks,

I've had another read through and I think I'm going to go with the X570 just because the PCIe setup makes more sense (fewer compromises on "if you do this then this and this won't work). That said, of the B550 boards, this one is clearly about the best on that front, and it wouldn't matter to me if some of the SATA isn't available when populating M2 slots as I don't use SATA any more.

Associate
Thanks,

I've had another read through and I think I'm going to go with the X570 just because the PCIe setup makes more sense (fewer compromises on "if you do this then this and this won't work). That said, of the B550 boards, this one is clearly about the best on that front, and it wouldn't matter to me if some of the SATA isn't available when populating M2 slots as I don't use SATA any more.

The Unify is a beautiful board, all black nice VRM cooling and nice m2 slots with good heatsinks for them. I cannot hear the VRM noise at all, although havnt played many games yet. But do check to see how bad it is...

Soldato
Hi m.2 arrangement is a little hard to understand if anyone can answer

If I use 2 PCIe 4.0 SSDs in slots 1 and 2 at gen 4 will the GPU slot run at x8 ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom