• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best bang for buck 2nd hand GPU right now?

Soldato
Article on tomshardware rating the GTX 970 as the best value 2nd hand GPU at the moment. It reflects USA eBay prices.

https://www-tomshardware-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.tomshardware.com/uk/amp/news/geforce-gtx-970-back-from-the-dead?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16147601515031&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/geforce-gtx-970-back-from-the-dead

I can't say there's anything out there that would tempt me to change away from mine at the moment. I'd quite like to go rtx 2060 or 3060 but not at the prices they're changing hands for right now.

Associate
Be careful with the second hand market, people offloading burnt out crap for eye watering prices - lots of sellers taking full advantage of desperate times.

I would suggest buy a weaker new card like a 1650/1050ti or something (whatever you can find for a semi-reasonable price and just be content with that and having a warranty) - I'll admit this is what I did, I'll sell my crappy card once the market stabilises and buy a 30 series for a reasonable price.

Caporegime
1650 super is the best value.

It has the 4k encoder.

Pair with a 1080p screen and your pretty much sorted.

Anyone complaining about gpu prices rather than looking at mid to high end cards just get a 1650 super and downgrade Res too.

Associate
1650 super is the best value.

It has the 4k encoder.

Pair with a 1080p screen and your pretty much sorted.

Anyone complaining about gpu prices rather than looking at mid to high end cards just get a 1650 super and downgrade Res too.

Got to look at the current pricing though, 1650's in stock are at least £230 whereas 1050ti's can be found for £150-180... not sure the 1650 is £50+ better (just a slightly upgraded 1050ti)

As for the super, I haven't been able to find that model at retail anywhere for at least 5 weeks.. I would've got a 1650 Super had I been able to find one.

Soldato
Got to look at the current pricing though, 1650's in stock are at least £230 whereas 1050ti's can be found for £150-180... not sure the 1650 is £50+ better (just a slightly upgraded 1050ti)

As for the super, I haven't been able to find that model at retail anywhere for at least 5 weeks.. I would've got a 1650 Super had I been able to find one.

I remember looking at them in December. They were available early on and then just disappeared entirely as far as I could tell, although plenty of them ended up on the second hand market with £50 added to the price tag somehow.

Caporegime

At current pricing your best just buying a gaming laptop and selling your current desktop gaming rig and plug the laptop into your monitor.

Can get a 3060 laptop for £997

3070 for £1250

That's what I would do if I needed to buy a gpu.

G J

G J

Associate
Best bang for buck on the used market is the 1050Ti for £79.83. The seller only has one left.

If the card being sold is in the picture those are fake 1050ti's do a seach on youtube for fake 1050ti and there a few videos about these as they sell them on wish/aliexpress etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
best value gpu now is probably a amd apu unless they have gone through the roof as well.

D'you know what, I haven't seen a "brand new" amd gpu anywhere for months at any retailer/etailer. they are literally the proverbial hen's teeth. I've seen the odd Nvidia card drop at certain etailers, but there not been a sniff of anything from amd.
The amd APU processors are pretty rare as well and the ones that do appear for sale disappear real quick for top money and thats second hand.

Soldato
D'you know what, I haven't seen a "brand new" amd gpu anywhere for months at any retailer/etailer. they are literally the proverbial hen's teeth. I've seen the odd Nvidia card drop at certain etailers, but there not been a sniff of anything from amd.
The amd APU processors are pretty rare as well and the ones that do appear for sale disappear real quick for top money and thats second hand.

Bought an RX 6800 from ocuk a few weeks ago. The stock goes near instantly

Soldato
Bought an RX 6800 from ocuk a few weeks ago. The stock goes near instantly

I got my 6800 when there was that second drop for forum members last year. The only new amd cards that drop anywhere are basically the top end jobbies, I mean, where were the 5500xt, 5600xt cards, conspicuous by their absence they are. A coupla months back, a few 2060 cards appeared at a competitor, but they went in a heart beat which I've noticed occasionally appear along with a few 1660supers, which also went in the blink of an eye.

Back
Top Bottom