Hardware Diagnostics Question

Associate
Hi Overclockers Community,

The nervous gamer hath returned. Just a couple of questions! Recently my PC failed on me with bizarre symptoms. Essentially when I switch on my PC, the lights to my motherboard come on as normal but there is no lighting on my GPU or RAM. I am also unable to boot it up, even by manual trigger from the MOBO. What is even more strange is, when I fiddle with the back of the case, the power sometimes comes on and I am able to boot with lighting to all areas but no connection to my monitor or keyboard.

I've sent it in for repairs to a local PC repairman, who has taken a look at it and subsequently handed it back to me saying all is OK and charging me £170 for repairs + case refit citing that it could be either some water damage or static. I have a new case, have asked for cable management and a clean and even with all of the above, the issue is still persisting. I have sent it back but the pc repairman has come back with some confusing feedback. In short, I do not have the money to spend on another GPU.

1) The issue is potentially with the GPU or the PSU. The native graphics card apparently works with the PC alone, but when he has plugged the GPU into another slot on the MOBO, it works?
2) Could be a PSU issue alone. This has some precedent, my last PSU blew. But this is a fairly recent PSU purchase as of November, are they that tempermental?

I have asked if the repairman can be definitive in his findings before I commit to buying a new GPU. That said, is there even a way to definitively know that?

Just wondered if any of you guys could offer some insights or thoughts. This is a bit of a stressful time, finance wise and I could use as much advice and insight as I can get!

Associate
If you're paying someone to fix it, expect them to fix it. Or like you say a definitive answer on the fault.

The normal way to eliminate what's not broke is to simply try other parts. I'd first unplug everything and reseat, RAM, cables, etc.

What PSU is it? The whole spec would be helpful to be fair.

Unless you're prepared to work on it yourself it's mostly a guessing game with the info you have supplied. Static is unlikely unless you've done something drastic yourself, as is water damage. Was this PC from new?

Associate
OP
If you're paying someone to fix it, expect them to fix it. Or like you say a definitive answer on the fault.

The normal way to eliminate what's not broke is to simply try other parts. I'd first unplug everything and reseat, RAM, cables, etc.

What PSU is it? The whole spec would be helpful to be fair.

Unless you're prepared to work on it yourself it's mostly a guessing game with the info you have supplied. Static is unlikely unless you've done something drastic yourself, as is water damage. Was this PC from new?

No, I can understand that and these are all very fair points. I think because I know next to little about hardware other than the basics, plus being quite attached to this PC, I am panicking. The PSU model is the TX-M Series TX750M 750-80 Watt model. An upgrade from 2019 on an earlier PSU that tanked on me.

The MOBO and GPU were purchased in 2019.

Here are my specs:

- ASUS ROG Z390 1151 Maximus Hero MOBO
- NVIDIA 2080 SUPER Founders Edition
- Intel i9 9900k 3.6 GhZ
- 32 GB RAM (G.SKILL F4-3200C)

Parts like the disk drive, sound card and all the front end stuff are original to the tower I purchased in 2017. But the GPU, MOBO and PSU have all been installed as of 2019.

He did mention that there was some water damage on the MOBO/potential static. I can understand the water, as my previous Corsair Carbide case had very exposed grates and was prone to the odd accident - nothing detrimental. I was also under the impression that boards have static protection mechanisms?

Associate
I think you can rule out the PSU then (unless water damage). But lightly water damage if you've been spilling liquids about. If a motherboard is grounded via the PSU static is unlikely, you'd have to make an effort to damage it even if it wasn't. Static protection isn't something i've ever looked at, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a thing. Computers are more protected against electrical surges i know that much.

I'd return to the store and purchase a new motherboard if the guy is willing to commit to that being the source of the issue and have him fit it. Otherwise i'd just jump in head first and start learning yourself. PCs are straight forward and nothing to be worried about if you've done your research, everyone is beginner once.

You're just going to have to find the issue through trial and error. It could just be the kettle lead is dodgy for example.

Associate
OP
Thank you Arbiter!

I think what scares me about fitting hardware is it's a process of patience. Before I sent this rig in, I actually fitted in the PSU, GPU and the RAM sticks. The issue for me is that fitting parts together can be a process and one of expensive trial and error I find. Someone once said that custom built rigs can be tempremental and I have found that to be the case, so I just prefer to go with the safer option. Even though I know that fitting your own parts advances your own knowledge!

I'm hoping it's a minor issue. Weird that the GPU works when plugged into another slot in the MOBO. A motherboard/PSU is not going to be costly to replace, and I do have a warranty on the 2080, but that's just more time and another process.

Thank you again!

Associate
Dare i ask, were you a bit heavy handed on the GPU fitting damaging the motherboard port?

Having looked at the manual for your x390, i see no reason why the GPU won't be happy in another x16 slot. Though my knowledge on whether there will be latency due to lane layout on the board is limited! However there may be a reduction on airflow depending on your case layout and bios fan curves (RPM settings).

Returning a GPU now is not advisable due to current GPU shortage. But i doubt it's the issue anyway. Rereading the OP i also wonder if when the PSU died it fried something on the way out. But again, my knowledge is limited here.

Sorry couldn't help more there. You might be best posting a thread in the motherboard section asking why one of the 16x slots doesn't work, along with everything you've said here.

Associate
Since both PCIE slots on your MB are x16 speed, I'd just put the GPU in the slot that works and go from there. If that solves the problems, it points to the upper PCIE slot being damaged. Assuming no other issues, just use the other slot and don't worry about getting another board.

What model of case do you have? I've never liked open slots on the top for this very reason. It's fine if the PC is on a desk, but since that takes up space, most people put them on the ground, where they are subject to possible spills! You could think about putting some fine-mesh dust filters over the slots. That should be enough to stop liquids getting in from light spills.

Edit: Realise it was your previous case that had open slots.

2nd Edit: Your bottom PCIE slot shares bandwidth with some of your SATA ports and runs at x2 by default, so make sure to use the middle one, which also looks to have a metal support bracket. Assuming that is one of the slots where the GPU works.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Arbiter.

I think heavy handed is a possibility. The individual I had helping me put the stuff together, despite having an IT background, was not shy of shoving in parts here and there. It could be that the case is a damaged slot! Hoping it is and that the GPU will operate fine in another slot, as the evidence suggests so far. There is just one more test that the repairman is going to conduct to be sure it is not the GPU and then we will know.

My current case model is the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2 Full Tower Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass. Adjusting to a second slot should not impact air flow as far as I can see, so fingers crossed!

Michael T

I am hoping that this is the second slot the repairman mentioned that he used. I also have a feeling that this must be the proper slot, given the metal clamp locks.

Question. With damaged sections of your MOBO, does it entirely depend on the scale of the damage that dictates whether the MOBO needs to be replaced? Are MOBOS not generally built to be quite resilient?

Thank you for your responses guys. You've brought me considerable peace of mind here!

Associate
Yeah pretty much. If it's just the one slot that's faulty, it should be fine. I'd say the board needs replacing when the PC no longer works. If using a different slot gets you up and running without any problems then that's it really.

The two PCIE slots with the metal brackets are independant, so an un-used slot is no different from an un-used non-functioning slot. The third slot shares some bandwidth with some SATA ports, so if that was not working, the relevant SATA ports could be affected. But unless you were wanting to use those, then again, no big deal. There are a lot of things that can fail, but there's also a lot of stuff on the board you aren't even using.

Associate
i like how the repair man charges you for fidling around with out clear answers. should have come to me man. could have sorted you our for 20£

Associate
OP
i like how the repair man charges you for fidling around with out clear answers. should have come to me man. could have sorted you our for 20£

I know, I know! Some folks must be trailing through my threads and shaking their heads. But the reality is that I don't know the terrain of Bristol and the where-to-go's if you know what I mean.

He charged me £170 quid for an inspection + repairs + case refit + cable management. I requested that he see if one of my hard drives could be hooked up and he has not done that.

Honestly, if all falls through. I'm happy to pull my rig out of drydock and if someone is happy to walk me through it via Zoom or Skype then I would be happy to pay for their time and expertise.

Until then, I am hoping that you guys might be able to help de-mystify the issue and get a plan of action going forward. Thanks again, even if anyone reading is just flicking through the thread.

Associate
I know, I know! Some folks must be trailing through my threads and shaking their heads. But the reality is that I don't know the terrain of Bristol and the where-to-go's if you know what I mean.

He charged me £170 quid for an inspection + repairs + case refit + cable management. I requested that he see if one of my hard drives could be hooked up and he has not done that.

Honestly, if all falls through. I'm happy to pull my rig out of drydock and if someone is happy to walk me through it via Zoom or Skype then I would be happy to pay for their time and expertise.

Until then, I am hoping that you guys might be able to help de-mystify the issue and get a plan of action going forward. Thanks again, even if anyone reading is just flicking through the thread.
Once u ready pm me and we can organize a weekend with beer and snacks Over zoom . Will help any time.

Back
Top Bottom