**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Family Thread ****

Associate
Surely they have to test the camera as they find it? Which is what a consumer would do? Yeah, test again after an update has been released, especially if the update is to rectify issues mentioned in the review; but it strikes me as fanboy behaviour to start petitions. :rolleyes:

Photography is a very emotive and subjective area, however, the technicalities can be assessed objectively and I agree the phone currently disappoints.

If nothing else, I'd like to think such poor reviews are a driver for Samsung to release updates to improve performance.

Associate
My take on the camera, coming from a Pixel 5. Overall, I think the camera is very good for a phone, but I have to say low light photos of people etc seem to come out better on the Pixel which just seems to have a more consistent performance, its easier to get a bad shot on the galaxy. Otherwise though, the Galaxy destroys the Pixel for versatility. Its good a decent pro mode for starters. It can do macro. It has 2 telephoto lenses instead of none and the difference here is huge despite the super res zoom on the pixel. Overall for me it's not perfect by any means, and as a side note, I find it really annoying how much dust gets on the lenses when using the official leather case, and keep having to take the phone out of the case to clean it just to get a good pic.

Moving on from photography, and to gestures now. I've used gestures for a fair while now, but have gone back to using the 3 buttons. Is it just me or does the phone feel faster / less janky when using the buttons? I have really tried with the gestures but for me, Overall, the phone is just better to use this way, with the exception of maybe one handed use for going back.

Also I've been trying some launchers today but overall I've got used to the OneUI launcher and it does me fine. Niagra launcher was somewhat interesting, but I think not really enough to get me to switch. What did surprise me was how much some of these devs want these days for this stuff, some of them coming with monthly and yearly plans, for a launcher! I like customisation but nah, not for me.

Soldato
Moving on from photography, and to gestures now. I've used gestures for a fair while now, but have gone back to using the 3 buttons. Is it just me or does the phone feel faster / less janky when using the buttons? I have really tried with the gestures but for me, Overall, the phone is just better to use this way, with the exception of maybe one handed use for going back.
My own experience with my S20 FE mirrors this.
My own hunch is I don’t believe it’s anything performance related but more implementation. But for sure the button system is much more responsive.
I think it is down to the fact that for example when you swipe up from the middle the phone has to delay (ever so slightly) until it figures out if you are swiping for home or swiping for the App carousel. Conversely with the button system the home and app carousel/switcher are split over two different buttons so there’s no conflict.
Just my theory.

Associate
My take on the camera, coming from a Pixel 5. Overall, I think the camera is very good for a phone, but I have to say low light photos of people etc seem to come out better on the Pixel which just seems to have a more consistent performance, its easier to get a bad shot on the galaxy. Otherwise though, the Galaxy destroys the Pixel for versatility. Its good a decent pro mode for starters. It can do macro. It has 2 telephoto lenses instead of none and the difference here is huge despite the super res zoom on the pixel. Overall for me it's not perfect by any means, and as a side note, I find it really annoying how much dust gets on the lenses when using the official leather case, and keep having to take the phone out of the case to clean it just to get a good pic.

Also I've been trying some launchers today but overall I've got used to the OneUI launcher and it does me fine. Niagra launcher was somewhat interesting, but I think not really enough to get me to switch. What did surprise me was how much some of these devs want these days for this stuff, some of them coming with monthly and yearly plans, for a launcher! I like customisation but nah, not for me.

I was an avid button user. I gave it a try for just over a week then I was hooked. I find it very fast and intuitive. and you even gain a bit more screen real estate. That being said the first thing I install on every phone is the nova launcher prime(This is very cheap, a one-time small fee) I have tried other launchers but i find it a lot better. that combined with gestures is the sweet spot for me.

As for the camera situation. I find for my usage and the kind of pics I take it is really good. In fact, I feel the cameras on phones are so good now I even sold my DSLR. I think its more to do with the initial purchase. some people think of the camera as an added bonus and think more about other features and the phone itself whilst others are more like it's a camera with added phone features. I know there is something about the price of phones and everything should be near perfect. but at the end of the day, it's a phone. A very expensive phone il grant you. but all companies are starting to charge a lot more for the phones nowadays. I think the times of a cheap high end phone with all the bells and whistles is now gone.

Associate
My own experience with my S20 FE mirrors this.
My own hunch is I don’t believe it’s anything performance related but more implementation. But for sure the button system is much more responsive.
I think it is down to the fact that for example when you swipe up from the middle the phone has to delay (ever so slightly) until it figures out if you are swiping for home or swiping for the App carousel. Conversely with the button system the home and app carousel/switcher are split over two different buttons so there’s no conflict.
Just my theory.

Sounds about the same as my experience. Sliding across the bottom for different apps can seem very janky at times, and rather inconsistent. Going home or back sometimes it's reluctant. And even after using gestures for months, I still keep accidentally going back or killing apps while I'm merely trying to scroll down or across. Finally pressing a button for the task view is much faster and more efficient than sliding up slowly, holding and then releasing. The buttons are just far more accurate and consistent, and the phone itself just feels as though it would rather you used the buttons, as far as I remember the phone even comes out of the box using the three buttons. Sometimes I feel like an old dinosaur who won't move with the times so I'm glad it's not just me, and it's not as though I've not given gestures a chance, I used them for months in my pixels. Incidentally gestures seem better on the pixel but most of the issues are still present there too.

Associate
Is the S21 much better than S10+? Just been updated to Android 11 so maybe not worth an upgrade yet,?

Depends what you want it for really?

If its to plug a pair of headphones into the jack then probably best off staying where you are. Similarly, if you want to plug an SD card in...

If its for the camera, screen, battery life and performance, then it might be worth it... depends on how much appetite you have to drop over a grand on a phone that realistically will do mostly everything the same.

Was easy for me as I came from a 2017 phone (ok technically, I did have a pixel 5 for a month but I'm disregarding it on the basis it felt exactly the same as my 2017 variant) but coming from a 2019 phone I would be more reluctant. How much do you want a new toy?

Associate
This is by design. Why would you want dark mode on a Web page when the rest of your phone is in light mode? It makes no sense. The toggle is there to disable dark mode while the phone is already in dark mode in case the page rendering is screwed up or indeed just that you prefer reading the pages as they were intended.

Personality I much prefer samsung Internet over chrome. Much more versatile and on these phones, easier on the battery.

Issue you have here is that if you have a custom theme set from the Galaxy Theme store, then you enable dark mode (System wide), the theme is disabled and Samsungs default Dark Mode theme is enabled.

Ideally, it needs the option to allow dark mode enabled and to keep the custom theme enabled too. Otherwise, whats the point of having themes if you cant use them on system wide dark mode?

Back
Top Bottom