Tell me about new driveways...

Sgarrista
Commissario
What sort of costs does an "average" driveway cost to have re done nowdays?

Is resin bound worth it over Tarmac/Bitmac?

Any recommendations of reliable companies in the West Midlands?

Caporegime
Im guessing the cost would be significantly more and higher maintenance?

We had tarmac on an old house and tbh maintenance can be worse if it's not done right. You want a very very thick layer that is then compressed down to 4 inches or so.

Monoblock looks better and arguably the cost will make your home more marketable and worth it as you get it back. Unless you don't really care about that.

Also you can if you employ the right people get them to professionally seal monoblock. The stuff to do it properly isn't cheap but then you have zero maintenance. I've seen a neighbors and his looks absolutely perfect and amazing all year round. He does have circa £200k worth of cars parked on it so obviously money was of no issue for him when it came to getting it done.

Soldato
Normal block paving starts at about £80 per m2.
Going for more expensive blocks will be more expensive, but installation costs will be the same.
Eg. Marshalls Tegula are about £15 per m2 more expensive so expect to pay around £100 m2.
Ask friends, family and neighbours for recommendations for contractors.
Do not go for someone on Facebook, leaflets, yellow pages etc... There are a lot of cowboys out there.
The marshalls approved installer scheme is good but expect to pay a little more.
Check the marshalls website if going this route as some cowboys claim to be on this register.

Resin is even more expensive and I have see some bad and good jobs done.
Tarmac done properly can be as expensive as block paving.
You will need 100mm mot type 1 hardcore, 75mm of 25mm base course and a minimum of 30ml of 6mm topping

Soldato
We had our drive & patio done around 6 years ago (see old thread below)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-drive-patio.18632177/

Good bunch of guys, took 4 days to complete & local. Think it came in at around £3,000 in total that included the side of the house as well.

6 years later, we've had no problems with it & still looks like new.

I can dig up the details if your interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
We had a resin bound driveway and path installed in October and personally I think it looks fantastic. I can't comment on costs versus other materials as we didn't investigate them.

For 45sq m of resin bound surface and associated groundworks (including widening the existing driveway to about 3 x the original width) we paid £7.5k.

The company that did it are coming back on Saturday to measure the patio.

Associate
Next door but one had a textured / patterend concrete driveway done, and it looks good, but the thing which put me off are that you cannot use road salt or grit or even table salt on it if it gets icy, and worse still to keep it lasting it has to be resealed every other year, which appeared quite an expensive comittment.

Caporegime
We had our drive & patio done around 6 years ago (see old thread below)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-drive-patio.18632177/

Good bunch of guys, took 4 days to complete & local. Think it came in at around £3,000 in total that included the side of the house as well.

6 years later, we've had no problems with it & still looks like new.

I can dig up the details if your interested.

Wow that's far cheaper than I would have thought after looking at the pictures. Far far cheaper.

Looks fantastic too.

Soldato
We're getting 68 sq metres of block paving put down next month. Cost is 6k or so, but it's a small company. The guy has done lots of drives and my Mrs found him on Facebook. We did really want the resin, but I hear lots of horror stories about it, think it's if the sub-base is not upto par.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Went for a walk today to view some local driveways.

Saw some creteprint and, meh doesnt do it for me and also the ongoing costs. Also block drives, new ones looks great, old ones look tatty.

Will be going for a resin bound brick edged driveway similar to this:

Starlight-1100x619.jpg

The price including groundworks was very middle of the road, but this company has a great reputation locally so it will do!

Soldato
Got pics mate? When did you have it done and how is it lasting?

Before:
EzVkstP.png

After:
wB2Vgck.png

It was done in October. I've seen installations that this company did a few years ago and they still look great so I'm confident that ours will last.

We had the chap back around on Saturday to neasure up for our patio. We're provisionally booked in to have that done in July.

Soldato
Today I was quoted £9000 to block pave my driveway and build a new 2foot retaining brick wall to replace the old down one side (we are slightly higher up than our neighbours).

I nearly threw up.

welcome to Surrey.

it’s a rip off.

Back
Top Bottom