• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth buying a new Intel CPU right now?

Soldato
Anyone think Z590 being 'final gen' boards may affect Rocket Lake uptake?. Alder Lake S looks like worth the wait if DDR5/pcie 5.0. Might even interest some Comet Lake owners if the rumours are true. Big investment having to virtually replace your full pc though, oh, and buy a 4080 too ;)

Associate
Anyone think Z590 being 'final gen' boards may affect Rocket Lake uptake?. Alder Lake S looks like worth the wait if DDR5/pcie 5.0. Might even interest some Comet Lake owners if the rumours are true. Big investment having to virtually replace your full pc though, oh, and buy a 4080 too ;)

To be fair most people dont even read the news on releases and the next gen and just buy whats for sale

the most vocal tend to be in a minority

Associate
Well spotted lol.

I was just thinking the same.

I think it might be a size thing.

I wish I could get away with a little one.

But my work is demanding and I need a big one. :D
It's pretty easy to have my machine sat here using over 16GB of my 32GB RAM with no productivity programs or games open, and my VMs switched off. People that claim 16GB is enough nowadays aren't really telling the truth

Associate
OP
The parts came today.

I'm going to put it all together at the weekend.

pc_parts.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4z2vbxapkf4aho/pc_parts.jpg?dl=0
pc_parts.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
OP

Nice.

I have two GPU cards that I can use and a spare Corsair 700W PSU.
I also have a the cooler that comes with the Ryzen CPU.

But it would be nice to get a modular quiet PSU.

I don't player games either and will see how I get on.

Soldato
Yeah, good luck to you. Very annoyed as I can't seem to get any GPU graphic card (must work well with 4K @ 120fps) but I have no idea yet which GPU yet!

Mine current spec is intel i7 2700k (I sent back Ryzen 4750G) with Asus Tuf B550 Plus Gaming Plus bundles too many issues problem! (got money back for that)

Are 600W ok or need 700W?

Associate
OP
Yeah, good luck to you. Very annoyed as I can't seem to get any GPU graphic card (must work well with 4K @ 120fps) but I have no idea yet which GPU yet!

Mine current spec is intel i7 2700k (I sent back Ryzen 4750G) with Asus Tuf B550 Plus Gaming Plus bundles too many issues problem! (got money back for that)

Are 600W ok or need 700W?

Your spec sounds good and I would keep the 5800X CPU unless you want more cores.

I am running 3 x HD monitors and the don't support 4K. So I only need a set of basic HD cards which I have.
I also have a spare Corsair GS700 sitting around so I will use that instead of my 550W Corsair because I suspect that this rig might need a bit more power if I ever push it.

Not that I intend to, and I think I could probably get away with using my 550W PSU.

Soldato
I'm not sure why some keep saying Alder Lake will release in 2021. 2022 Q2 availability is more likely. Consider that:
  • Rocket Lake won't launch until 30th March 2021
  • Intel still hasn't released Ice Lake server CPUs, the generation before the planned Sapphire Rapids 10nm SuperFin enhanced fab process (same fab. process as Alder Lake)
  • Intel hasn't confirmed the release date of the 12th gen / Alder Lake CPUs. 1 year on from Rocket Lake launch would be a 'usual' cadence for a new generation. With every previous Core series release, there's been a 1-2 year gap in generations
I think they will announce the 12th gen details in 2021 Q4 however, but that's different to having availability.

One thing I've seen tech journalists do consistently for 10+ years, is intentionally whip up hype for new products many months before they are ready, jumping on every small announcement. Worse are YT channels who claim to have inside sources :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm not sure why some keep saying Alder Lake will release in 2021. 2022 Q2 availability is more likely. Consider that:
  • Rocket Lake won't launch until 30th March 2021
  • Intel still hasn't released Ice Lake server CPUs, the generation before the planned Sapphire Rapids 10nm SuperFin enhanced fab process (same fab. process as Alder Lake)
  • Intel hasn't confirmed the release date of the 12th gen / Alder Lake CPUs. 1 year on from Rocket Lake launch would be a 'usual' cadence for a new generation. With every previous Core series release, there's been a 1-2 year gap in generations
I think they will announce the 12th gen details in 2021 Q4 however, but that's different to having availability.

One thing I've seen tech journalists do consistently for 10+ years, is intentionally whip up hype for new products many months before they are ready, jumping on every small announcement. Worse are YT channels who claim to have inside sources :D

I've been into Computers and Consoles since the BBC Micro and Wooden Atari days and I have witnessed most of the major events that have shaped where we are today.
And I can tell you that not much has changed in terms of delivering a new product to the scene.

People buy on hype and most of the time it works.

What I have also found is that you normally just end up being a product tester, and you could have saved your a nice bit of money, and possible endure less headache if you had waited for a while.

Technology moves fast and it is better to buy something that is relatively well known and has some kind of value. i.e. Something that you are not going to flush down the toilet in a couple of years.

I just bought the AMD 8900X when I could have purchased the 5900X for a couple of hundred more. But I can't find any stock, there is a lot of hype to it, and it doesn't appear to be overly that much better. Plus they are currently doing some good deals on the AMD8900X.

It's thinking like that helps to get you some of the best products at that current moment in time.

Associate
Have seen it priced at around £400 on a competitors site. I have a 5600X now but wanted a 5900X/5950X. With the lack of stock - I am so tempted to get a 3900X and sell on my 5600X and get 12 cores and be happy for a few years.

Associate
Have seen it priced at around £400 on a competitors site. I have a 5600X now but wanted a 5900X/5950X. With the lack of stock - I am so tempted to get a 3900X and sell on my 5600X and get 12 cores and be happy for a few years.

Unless you really need the extra cores for productivity I wouldn't do that, would be slower in games.

Six cores is still fine, better than fine actually when it's Zen 3.

Soldato
Hard to look past a 10850k right now for someone who wants the extra cores but still good gaming performance especially when it's cheaper than a 8 core 5800X.

All AMDs new chips are either out of stock, overpriced or both.

Back
Top Bottom