The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Commissario
OP
I was having a look through netflix earlier and it looks like they've got quite a lot of new/new to them anime that is up now, or going up in the near future, including Hight Rise attack (which I want to watch), Sword Art Online S3 (Alicization), ad the Promised Neverland.

I'm currently watching Sword Art Alternative Gun Gale Online which is fun but very different to the main SWO series, next up is probably Made in the Abyss as that's been sat on the side for a while, then probably one of the films that have been collecting dust on my shelf for a few months.

Soldato
Tbf the last anime I watched to end was Naruto and Naruto Shipuuden

Before that was DBZ, I watched most of black lagoon too but not all of it.

Bleach I didn't watch to end as I stopped then lost where I was :(

Those are all from a genre called shonen, which is called such because it tends to be aimed at a younger audience (shonen = young boy or teen). Not that it's bad to like them, but the plots tend to be a bit more basic and the basic model is a power creep style.

There are loads and loads of shows which distinguish themselves from the shonen genre, especially if you are a bit older.

Exception: Black Lagoon, which is a seinen (older boys).

I'd be able to recommend some things worth trying if you wanted to break out a bit and avoid too much shonen stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Those are all from a genre called shonen, which is called such because it tends to be aimed at a younger audience (shonen = young boy or teen). Not that it's bad to like them, but the plots tend to be a bit more basic and the basic model is a power creep style.

There are loads and loads of shows which distinguish themselves from the shonen genre, especially if you are a bit older.

Exception: Black Lagoon, which is a seinen (older boys).

I'd be able to recommend some things worth trying if you wanted to break out a bit and avoid too much shonen stuff.
Cheers, I didn't know there was a difference I just treated them all as anime ha

What would Tokyo ghoul be classed as out of interest?

Any recommendations are fine with me, if like black lagoon even better

Soldato
Cheers, I didn't know there was a difference I just treated them all as anime ha

What would Tokyo ghoul be classed as out of interest?

Any recommendations are fine with me, if like black lagoon even better

Tokyo Ghoul is not one I've seen personally still on my list to try, but it's apparently a seinen. Black Lagoon is also not one I've watched so hard to get recommendations like it.

They are all anime (definition of anime is loosely anything animated from Japan) but there are just lots of sub genres, styles etc. More than a decade ago I was watching Naruto, Bleach etc, probably same as you. I've just tried to broaden horizons a bit and aged a bit in the meantime, so you may enjoy some of these also :)

Recommended for relative newcomers:

Attack on Titan
Death Note
Demon Slayer- Kimetsu no Yaiba
Fullmetal Alchemist- Brotherhood
Steins;Gate

Worth trying these after getting a few anime under your belt:

Fate/Zero
Kill la Kill
Konosuba
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Overlord

AoT is airing final season right now, Demon Slayer is still going, Konosuba hoping for more seasons to come. The rest are all finished stories in their own right. Fate/Zero is part of a wider Fate universe but can be watched on it's own.

I have so many I've not even mentioned because the list would be confusingly long for you. If you do wind up trying and enjoying any of these, then I can provide further similar ones :)

Fullmetal Alchemist in particular you should enjoy, it's around 64 episodes long, but is a quality story, and it has a fair few battles in it which you should appreciate if you like shonen stuff.

Soldato
Saw Gekijō-ban "Kimetsu no Yaiba" Mugen Ressha-hen at our local cinema tonight. Absolutely loved it. The hype is real!

Really enjoyed this one, I think it is badly underrated. Much more sophisticated than it first appears.

Yeah i enjoyed it.. Although there was one bit, well one that stuck in my mind, that didnt make sense or i missed something at one point.

The young lad that was with his sister. Well at one point he gets captured by the daywalker butler/assistant guy, tied up and is left in the house with the big old guy that had been turned. So it looked like it was all over for him. But it was not mentioned again but then at the end when the fire engines were heading towards the village from the city he was in the hospital there.

Commissario
OP
Due out this month, out in the west at some point in the next 10 years;)

I saw that the new MVM release of Paranoia Agent will be uncut which was good news as I'd only seen the old UK DVD release.

I've finally finished the Genshiken manga, after having it sat on the side for 7 years, the second series books carried it on nicely well past the events of the TV series and make me wish they'd do more of the anime.

Currently watching Made in the Abyss, which I should be finishing today with luck, it's a bit of an odd mix of at very cutesy characters but some reasonably gruesome moments, and the narration reminds me of Nadia: Secret of Blue water.

Soldato
I'm sure it'll be available to watch long before it's released outside of Japan, I don't mind waiting for a nice blu-ray collection of all the movies combined.

However, I wont be waiting on said blu-ray collection to watch it! :p

Soldato
Due out this month, out in the west at some point in the next 10 years;)

I saw that the new MVM release of Paranoia Agent will be uncut which was good news as I'd only seen the old UK DVD release.

I've finally finished the Genshiken manga, after having it sat on the side for 7 years, the second series books carried it on nicely well past the events of the TV series and make me wish they'd do more of the anime.

Currently watching Made in the Abyss, which I should be finishing today with luck, it's a bit of an odd mix of at very cutesy characters but some reasonably gruesome moments, and the narration reminds me of Nadia: Secret of Blue water.

I liked the concept behind Made in the Abyss but the loli stuff they seemed obsessed with put me off the show a bit. It's a shame really as I could like it a whole lot more.

Time for another update on my list :)

Finished:
  • Trigun - To me there were problems with the show but it wasn't bad, I'd not go out of my way to recommend or keep it in my library though. In the end product of it's era with an unfinished story.
  • Guilty Crown - I finished this, quite a good show all about, I'd say not as good as something like RE:Creators for coherence and quality, but it was an interesting watch. Quite a lot happens so I had to read into how it ended a bit afterwards, I think the story is a bit deeper/more connected than you realise on a 1st watch, but after reading about it I can see how the ending was satisfactory.
  • Princess Principal - Enjoyed this would watch more Princess Principal. The story doesn't end conclusively at Season 1 but I believe more is coming. My favourite thing about it is the settings though, the world and atmosphere are really good, I love the Steampunk London look.
  • Garden of Sinners - This was a bit of a slow burn, with 7 films in the official season (5 of which are 60 mins, films 5 and 7 are 120 mins) and some specials to boot that don't seem canon to the story necessarily. Films 1-4 are just build up for the crazy film 5 and beyond. This was a really good show if you don't mind there not being all out action. The art and atmosphere again are really good, and ahead of it's time imo. The subjects they cover are mature and quite well structured.
  • In Another World with my Smartphone - Generic harem isekai trash.
  • Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They! (after Smartphone) - Generic harem isekai trash. I had some hopes for this on watching episode 1, it felt like it might be a bit NGNL, but NGNL was actually interesting where I found this kind of dull. The world they were in didn't make much sense, and the games were just battles with rules that didn't seem to matter. My fav "game" related anime to date is probably Kakegurui for it's pure entertainment value, followed by Death Parade and NGNL. Dropped it after a few episodes in.
Continuing:
  • My Hero Academia - Delayed season 4 start a bit until I clear some other stuff off the list (on hold).
  • Akame ga Kill! - I'm 8 episodes in and liking this so far, but I want to see more Esdeath antics. This has a lot of promise, but I think it falls back on being a shonen style battle anime when it would be much more interesting in a Princess Principal style stealth/worldbuilder with some planning/strategy. The battles are kind of basic for the most part, not choreographed more people attacking eachother as fast as possible.
  • From the New World (shin sekai yori) - I am 7 episodes in, and whilst the animation quality is a bit janky at times, the actual story seems compelling so far. In most episodes there is some kind of new thing shown that helps to build up more of a picture of things. Thumbs up so far.
  • Revue Starlight - I started this just to see if it was worth adding the CE to my collection as MVM have the CE for £20. I can say though after seeing about 50% of it that I don't think it is. I can see why some people would really like this, but it's just not my type of thing I suppose. I can however say that it's pretty well made, and I recognised the Giraffe as being voiced by the same guy who did the MC in ID:Invaded which was interesting as I rarely recognise the VA's.
  • Tokyo Ghoul - Watching this on a recommendation from a friend, also I have been kind of meaning to for a while. I understand after Season 1 it's not great so probably won't go further. I am quite liking this so far, only half way in to the season, it's fairly simple plot wise, and also quite edgy (as is Akame).
Planning to watch (short list - roughly in order probably. Bold = starting imminently):
  • A Place Further Than the Universe
  • Ascendance of a Bookworm (I'm hoping this is better than the last 2 isekais I tried).
  • Land of the Lustrous (Going to watch as part of a simulwatch one ep a day).
  • School-Live!
  • Great Pretender
  • Jormungand
  • Psycho Pass
  • Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Hyouka
  • Vinland Saga

Soldato
I've been going through and watching a load of old DVDs and BDs as I had been meaning to have a clear out for quite some time.

Currently in the middle of Burst Angel, but then realised Amazon Prime was going to run out soon so taking a break and finishing up some non-anime shows me and the Mrs had been watching there, and also some anime we'd started there like Dororo.

Recently though I've managed to watch the following, and will put them up for sale once I've built a decent enough sized batch - will let you guys know if anyone interested?):
Ef - Tale of Melodies (BD)
Mahoromatic (watched a few episodes and then dropped as I like romcoms but was a bit too...ecchi comedy for the sake of Ecchi... for me, got all of season 1 on DVD and disc 1/3 of season 2...shame)
Black Blood Brothers (BD)
Berserk Remastered (DVD, the 2000s Anime Works version)
Stein's Gate (only got Part 1 on BD, watched the rest on Netflix)

Also managed to watch through most of 'Ah! My Goddess!' and a chunk of Love Hina! with the wife, but put a pause on them as the wife liked them and wanted to keep and come back to them another time :)

Watched Starship Operators too, and genuinely like that one, shame it was only 1 season, but will be keeping that one too as it seemed worth keeping in the library as both me and the mrs enjoyed it.

Outstanding list is as follows (plus anything else me and the wife pick up to watch on streaming):

Blade of the Immortal
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz
Gun X Sword
House of Five Leaves
MEZZO
Moribito
Murder Princess
Mushishi
Noein
Read Or Die
Samurai 7 (Akira Kurosawa's)
Sengoku Basara
Shigurui
Slayers + Slayers Next
Soul Eater
Tatami Galaxy
Trinity Blood
X

Edit: Also got the Digimon Adventure Tri OVAs sitting there on BD my brother leant me, need to watch those at some point and give them back also!

Glad you finally got round to FMP:IV recently Werewolf! Not had much chance to watch so much anime in the last few years; but that one I REALLY liked. I hope they do more! (again)
Still got my FMP 1-3 BD/DVDs and one of the shows I don't intend to get rid of.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a couple of CE's I'd like to get that are OOP, Konosuba S1, Rising of the Shield Hero S1, but can't find em anywhere sensible really.

FMP still on my "to watch list" but a bit further down, was planning to get through Psycho Pass first probably.

Associate
  • From the New World (shin sekai yori) - I am 7 episodes in, and whilst the animation quality is a bit janky at times, the actual story seems compelling so far. In most episodes there is some kind of new thing shown that helps to build up more of a picture of things. Thumbs up so far.

That's an interesting one as I've always kinda thought if humanity was ever going to become that unified unit you see, say in some sci-fi shows where we're depicted just as earth not a bunch of competing countries, that we'd have to be fundamentally changed as a species... though emergent superpowers and whatnot aren't quite what I pictured the catalyst to be...

But that show is really good, one of the few that really leaves a mark, and it's not just the premise, it gets more and more interesting the further in you get if I remember rightly (it must have been around a decade old by now so not something that's fresh in my mind).

Soldato
That's an interesting one as I've always kinda thought if humanity was ever going to become that unified unit you see, say in some sci-fi shows where we're depicted just as earth not a bunch of competing countries, that we'd have to be fundamentally changed as a species... though emergent superpowers and whatnot aren't quite what I pictured the catalyst to be...

But that show is really good, one of the few that really leaves a mark, and it's not just the premise, it gets more and more interesting the further in you get if I remember rightly (it must have been around a decade old by now so not something that's fresh in my mind).

I meant to reply sooner but work has been hectic this week!

I find the unification of humanity quite an interesting topic, if asked on how the nations of the world today could ever become unified, then I'd say only two ways come to mind:

1) Find a new planet, joint venture from all nations on earth to contribute, new planet has one nation, one set of laws etc, one unified culture. In our timeline this actually has the most chance of success, but I believe that bigger nations will seek to make their own turf in interstellar colonisation rather than combining goals.

2) Empire comes in with enough firepower to overwhelm everyone and take control. We've probably had a few capable of it such as the Romans, but big unwieldy empires have suffered without good communication lines and tech.

Today the planet is filled with people all practicing different religions, cultures etc, we can't even agree on what side of the road to drive on let alone how to globalise the nations of the planet we have today.

I'm enjoying seeing how the mysteries of the world are unfurled, so far the pace of the developments has not been too fast, but several times they've thrown something into the mix I wasn't expecting.

Soldato
Edit - think I was tired and misread above post, meant list remaining to be watched not things thought great I guess?

Yes these are my outstanding discs to be watched that I had sectioned off to be watched and then sold/kept dependent on impact: :)

(Currently on: Burst Angel + OVA)
Blade of the Immortal
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz
Gun X Sword
House of Five Leaves
MEZZO
Moribito
Murder Princess
Mushishi
Noein
Read Or Die
Samurai 7 (Akira Kurosawa's)
Sengoku Basara
Shigurui
Slayers + Slayers Next
Soul Eater
Tatami Galaxy
Trinity Blood
X

FMP is great though, no doubts about that. I don't own IV on DVD/BD but I do 1-3 and very much enjoyed IV. Really good mix of drama, action, humour etc (albeit S2, Fumoffu is JUST comedy and not the main story)

Given how much is available to stream these days, I haven't bought much in the way of anime on disc for years; but I do still have remnants of a sizeable collection I'd been slowly going through and eliminating over the last few years as simply put it took up too much space. A lot of it is now gone (for example I at one point had all the Wolfs Rain singles), but I had stalled a lot the last couple of years and the above had been sitting unwatched on my shelves for years, due to a combination of time; other hobbies, and also just how much is available to stream these days via Netflix, Amazon, CR and the likes.

Once the above list gets sorted (one way or the other); everything I have left will be personal favourites, or shows that left an impact on me for example:
Spice and Wolf 1+2
FMP 1,2,3
Welcome to the NHK
Beck
Elfen Lied
Kanon
Chrono Crusade
Toradora

etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom