Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I have had no issues today and I have been WFH all day so if there was an issue I would have noticed.

No slowness or disconnects from me

Soldato
I love how VM's phone line has an automated message about using the website instead to "keep phone lines free for vulnerable customers", yet phone is now the only way you can cancel...

Soldato
"I'd like to cancel"

"Can I ask why?"

"I'm moving to a new address in a non-Virgin Media area"

"Well, how about I have a look at your account and see if we can do you a better price. Would that encourage you to stay?"

"No. Because you don't supply services to my new address"

"Well, can I ask why are you moving? Did you find the Internet service okay at your current address?"

"If you're asking me if my house move has anything to do with my broadband service, the answer is no."

"OK. Well... can I have the post code so I can check availability at your new address?"

"No need. I've already done it"

"Well sir, I need the post code of your new address so I can close your account"

"Fine. It's XYZ"

"OK. I can see here that you can't get our services at your new address. Do you know anybody who would be interested in moving to us?"

"No, I don't"

"Really?"

"Yes"

"Well if you were able to give me someone's details, I could do them a special deal and you would get £50 of bill credit each"

"Everyone I know is already on VM"

"Really?!? Oh, okay. I'll get on with your cancellation then."

:rolleyes:

I gave them my parents' post code hoping to avoid the hard sell. It evidently didn't work.

Last edited:
Soldato
"I'd like to cancel"

"Can I ask why?"

"I'm moving to a new address in a non-Virgin Media area"

"Well, how about I have a look at your account and see if we can do you a better price. Would that encourage you to stay?"

"No. Because you don't supply services to my new address"

"Well, can I ask why are you moving? Did you find the Internet service okay at your current address?"

"If you're asking me if my house move has anything to do with my broadband service, the answer is no."

"OK. Well... can I have the post code so I can check availability at your new address?"

"No need. I've already done it"

"Well sir, I need the post code of your new address so I can close your account"

"Fine. It's XYZ"

"OK. I can see here that you can't get our services at your new address. Do you know anybody who would be interested in moving to us?"

"No, I don't"

"Really?"

"Yes"

"Well if you were able to give me someone's details, I could do them a special deal and you would get £50 of bill credit each"

"Everyone I know is already on VM"

"Really?!? Oh, okay. I'll get on with your cancellation then."

:rolleyes:

I gave them my parents' post code hoping to avoid the hard sell. It evidently didn't work.

When i cancelled i told them i going cityfiber since its in my area. Guy had nothing more to say and just went in with the disconnection.
You should have dropped the word cityfiber and cut your conversation in half.

Soldato
After our 12 hour outage, we had an 'engineer' out today. He said their end wasn't showing any outage, so he's suspecting a faulty hub. On the off chance, he said he'd check the cable from the drop onwards... Which, as it turns out, had been eaten half way through by rats. He said he was surprised we had service at all. Three cheers for the local council scrapping sewer baiting to 'save money'. :mad: He's re-pulled the cable and tacked it up high on the wall (it was trailing the floor), so fingers crossed. Time to get more bait boxes I think, and give the little bar stewards some brodifacoum to chew on instead.

Soldato
When i cancelled i told them i going cityfiber since its in my area. Guy had nothing more to say and just went in with the disconnection.
You should have dropped the word cityfiber and cut your conversation in half.

Just looked them up. Not in my area :(

There isn't really a good VM alternative round here. But at least my new address is a little more competitive (i.e. phone line providers can manage 70-80mbps!).

Caporegime
After our 12 hour outage, we had an 'engineer' out today. He said their end wasn't showing any outage, so he's suspecting a faulty hub. On the off chance, he said he'd check the cable from the drop onwards... Which, as it turns out, had been eaten half way through by rats. He said he was surprised we had service at all. Three cheers for the local council scrapping sewer baiting to 'save money'. :mad: He's re-pulled the cable and tacked it up high on the wall (it was trailing the floor), so fingers crossed. Time to get more bait boxes I think, and give the little bar stewards some brodifacoum to chew on instead.

If this cable is outdoors then I don't think rat traps will do a huge amount, you're better off seeing if you can put a metal capping over the cable.

Soldato
If this cable is outdoors then I don't think rat traps will do a huge amount, you're better off seeing if you can put a metal capping over the cable.

Oh I'll definitely be fitting some metal caging over the cable. We bait in half a dozen points around our property exterior anyway, since the council stopped the sewer baiting. The city is full of the horrible little things. We spend £30 a month plus on single-feed-kill bait (and it's cheap bait...), and I still can't put enough down to keep up with demand. I'm literally one person trying to kill a whole city of rats lol. If everyone in the area spent a tenner and put a bait box down... But they'd just rather moan on Facebook or something.

You can see the blighters running around the streets as soon as the sun goes down, and we live in a relatively nice area (no mess, sealed wheelie bins, very little litter etc). I dread to think what the restaurant districts look like in the city.

Soldato
i got a text message today from virgin its a reminder that they are closing the account soon. it disconnects on the 8th so looks like you get a text 4 days prior it has a number to ring too if you want to change your mind. just giving people a heads up on how the procedure works.

Soldato
Just looked them up. Not in my area :(

There isn't really a good VM alternative round here. But at least my new address is a little more competitive (i.e. phone line providers can manage 70-80mbps!).
I have the same issue where I am.

VM do the fastest broadband where I live, all other providers are like 30/50mb (currently on 110mb atm)

Once my contract is up I will be looking else where or may take a speed cut which I don't want to do but the amount I am paying for the service is getting silly.

Signed up 24 hours ago to see what my service is like and this is what I got

b1062f2515bfdd09239449ea14a83b36bf15c339.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
You could always buy two FTTC connections and pay between £50-60 total for them. Anything that is a large download now will be multi-threaded so will go at the speed of both lines together, and then you get the latency of FTTC for games.

Back
Top Bottom